8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
having some fun going home and mis-shifted goin into 5th at WOT and the rpm hit 9k. Is the engine damaged really bad?

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
doubt it.. these cars are made for high reving.. was going 60mph on 6th gear when i actually shifted to 2nd gear... engine seems fine

·
Registered
460 Posts
doubt it.. these cars are made for high reving.. was going 60mph on 6th gear when i actually shifted to 2nd gear... engine seems fine
You were lucky, second tops out at 57 so you only over-revved by a few hundred RPM's.

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
You were lucky, second tops out at 57 so you only over-revved by a few hundred RPM's.

yeah i was lucky haha... meant to shift it at 4gear.. but 6th gear going 60mph downshifting to 3rd gear is fine.. done it alot of times.. the needle ends up around 7.5k rpm:vtec::vtec:

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
so what happens if i saw my needle hit 9k+ it drove fine afterwards and i WOT like 10mins after and it still seems fine. any after affects?

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
If you hear your lifters ticking badly, you've bent them depending how long you revved in that 9K range (1 sec, 3sec..etc.) and would assume it was a 1-2sec there. As for your car, your fine, as long as you stay in the 8.3K range. Just don't blow the engine the next time you power shift, you are driving a highly revved engine.

·
Registered
834 Posts
i over rev'd once for like 1sec. 20k miles later everything seems fine. Of course it still may take time for problems to show up, but you are fine!

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
maybe im paranoid but does the k20 engine ticks louder than other cars on idle?

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
if it slightly went past 9000 for a short ass time ull be fine...ive misshifted my r18 up to 9500 rpm for 0.5 seconds max...got a compression test, oil change, no metal filings everythings good...just dont do it ever again

1 - 20 of 20 Posts