8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My girlfriend has a 2006 civic DX i think (its the base model NO SUNROOF). about two months ago she got in an accident and had no issues other than minor cosmetic problems. The auto body shop that replaced her front end went ahead and replaced the radiator and we have had problems since (coolant leaking and overheating). i took the car back to have them look over everything (didnt want to void any warrenties) and they cant really figure it out. Its leaking on the passenger side of the engine bay and all of the radiator hoses are on the driver side. Any suggestions would be really nice towards helping me figure out why the car is leaking and over heating... let me know your thoughts. Thank You- Tyler

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
They suggested the water pump... but i really cant imagine that leaking coolant. Im Positive the overheating issues are due to the coolant leak.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I believe that's what the "water pump" does, pumps coolant. Not sure if it can leak it or not. Why is it so hard for them to identify what exactly is leaking the coolant? Just look for the part that has the liquid spewing out of it. lol

·
Registered
5,127 Posts
is it dripping or a steady stream? i would buy that they couldn't find it if it was a drip...if it was a stream enough to create small puddles i would take it somewhere else and send the body shop the bill :thumb:

·
Registered
606 Posts
is it dripping or a steady stream? i would buy that they couldn't find it if it was a drip...if it was a stream enough to create small puddles i would take it somewhere else and send the body shop the bill :thumb:
Touche.

How quickly after filling does it leak and overheat? Does it leak when the motor isn't running?

·
Registered
5,127 Posts
^good question.

Are you filling the resivoir all the way to the top? If so that leaves nowhere for the boiling coolant (inside the motor when running) to go when you turn it off. This could cause overflow..but it shouldn't cause overheat.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't really think its spewing out. At its worst its left a skateboard deck size puddle on the ground after being driven all day and sat over night. The only time it over heats obviously is when its low on coolant. How difficult are the water pumps to change. I've done a couple (E36 M3, SR20DET) and they weren't too bad with a friend looking over my shoulder.

·
Registered
5,127 Posts
I don't know the exact size of the engine bays of the other cars you mentioned but under the hood of a civic space is quite limited.

I wouldn't think that you would need to replace the water pump with a leak like that. If the water pump was broken/damaged you would have a stronger leak, it would spew onto the engine causing steam to come from the hood (kinda looking like the engine was on fire).

I would lean more towards you having a hose that isn't seated correctly. That's just my guess.

It sounds like you are mechanically inclined so I would say after she has been out driving when she comes home or to wherever you are have you take a look at it while running and see if you can locate the leak

·
Registered
606 Posts
My 07 EX had a recall on the water pump pulley, I believe. Not sure if 06 was included, but worth a call to the dealer.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I called the dealer, thatd be great if it was covered! After I get off work I'm going to top it off with coolant and drive it around try to find the direct source of the leak!

·
Registered
3 Posts
My neighbor had an issue with her cracked engine block. Seems to be a common issue, Honda has even issued a service bulletin regarding this issue.

http://www.carcomplaints.com/Honda/Civic/2006/engine/cracked_engine_block.shtml[/URL]

·
Registered
606 Posts
My neighbor had an issue with her cracked engine block. Seems to be a common issue, Honda has even issued a service bulletin regarding this issue.

http://www.carcomplaints.com/Honda/Civic/2006/engine/cracked_engine_block.shtml[/URL]
I was going to mention that, but figured the overheating was some way related to the accident. It'd be easy to check if the block is cracked; they leak in certain places if it's due to that issue. The TSB should have that info.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts