8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few days ago, I went forward too much in a parking space and scratched my bumper on the curb. Luckily, they were small. I bought Dupli-Color touch up paint, Meguiar's ScratchX, and Meguiar's Deep Crystal System Polish. I'll be using a 50:50 mixture of 70% isopropyl alcohol and water as a cleaner polish.

Is it ok to do a touch up outside? I park in a parking lot and I'm worried that the wind would whip up dirt and cause it to be embedded in the touch up paint. Also, is it necessary to apply clearcoat after the paint dries?

Second part, the other night, I backed up into an SUV :banghead:. When I got out and checked the car, all I saw was a dull mark (I think they had rubber on their bumper and the rubber rubbed onto my car). I don't have a good picture (I took one with my phone but all you can see is reflections), but can I remove this by just polishing or would I have to touch it up?

·
Registered
252 Posts
Well .. some a55h073 scratched my bumper ... I used some touchup paint as well , I sanded it though ,then I polished it using it GS27 and finally I waxed it . I didn't need to use clearcoat since it's white and the touch up paint is like a nail polish , once that it has hardened is very easy to work with ... if it's too windy maybe the paint will dry faster and you will have problems applying it , and regarding dust .. hmmm it'll be better if at least you do it in some place protected from the wind ...

Here's before

And after

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Perhaps I should tape some something to the bumper to protect it? I was thinking maybe a plastic wrap "tent" would work

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
doing touchup outside is fine if the temp is over 65F and humidity is less than 60%.
otherwise the paint could cloud or will take a very long time to dry.

·
Registered
191 Posts
My friends dad did a protective clear sticker thing on the front of his 350z. Its just the stuff you use on computer screens to keep them from getting dirty but he bought a lot of it. I think its pretty expensive too but it protects pretty well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts