8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my Si last June and have 7K on it. The air filter looks like it has alot of dust in it. The "honda guy" said I shouldn't have to change it for 20K miles. He said wait for the code 2 light. Also I've changed the oil twice in 7K and the filter once. Again he said wait for the 5% to change again. But the oil looks like it needs to be changed. I have always changed my own oil and would do it according to the darkness of it and the gas smell in it. Am I getting old and behind the times or should I follow "honda guy".

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
air filter is subjective... if it looks dirty most definitely replace it... airfilters will depend on the dustiness/air quality of your area.... while your at it replace it with a k&n drop in filter for the Si... for $40 its 1) re-useable and 2) you'll get better mileage (1-2mpg)

some people follow the 3000 mile oil change rule, some follow the dash reminder, some people will go 10,000 miles.... what i would do it change it at about 15%, 5% seems like kinda a lot for me... but honda tells you to follow the computer and im sure they know what they're talking about, afterall... they made the car

for what its worth, i changed mine 1st @ 4000 miles @ 40% life.... im at 80% now with 5500 on the clock... so ill probably wait til about 15% this time

·
Registered
49 Posts
Air filters are pretty cheap and easy to change. I would say go for it if its dirty.

As far as the K&N type goes. Yes they may give you better mileage but they are letting more "stuff" pass through which means a slightly dirtier engine. I have no personal experience with any problems and ran one on my old Sentra but I have not chosen to use one again. Its just not worth the potential long term concerns.

·
Registered
83 Posts
SVB, that's only partially true. They've run a lot of tests and the K&N filter filters more than a lot of the paper filters out there. There are some that filter more but most of the readily available filters aren't going to be any better (and may be worse).

·
Registered
186 Posts
I changed my air filter at 15k, and have been changing my oil with synthetic at about 3.5-4k miles. I'm sure that the car can handle without an oil change down to 5%, but my conscience can't.

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Air filters are cheap. Just replace it.

I never understood people waiting so long to change their oil or filters. Is it really that much money?

Just don't eat out that month and call it a day.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
SVB, that's only partially true. They've run a lot of tests and the K&N filter filters more than a lot of the paper filters out there. There are some that filter more but most of the readily available filters aren't going to be any better (and may be worse).

How does an air filter you can see through filter better than one with no visible pores? 10-40 microns is the minimum resolution visible to the human eye.

·
Registered
761 Posts
im pretty sure the oil is synthetic stock. so you can wait longer than 3k. that is from wayyy back when. there have been many advancements in oil composition since then and with synthetic you can wait up 7k. i usually do it at 5k.

·
Registered
308 Posts
The Honda-brand oil is semi-synthetic, which is misleading. It does not mean the base stock is synthetic.

Generally speaking, modern conventional oils can easily handle 5,000 mile intervals. This should be substantiated with oil analysis, however, as abnormal operating conditions would shorten its useful life. Hondas in particular are notorious for "above average" fuel dilution.

The air filter is something that most people take too lightly. MUCH OF THE LONG-TERM DAMAGE TO YOUR ENGINE IS CAUSED BY INTAKE AIR CONTAMINANTS. Dirty filter media or leaky seals will sandblast the top end. If the filter seems questionable, replace it. Silicon and other baddies entering your engine is much more of a pressing issue than the debate over conventional vs. synthetic oils, or how long an OCI should be, or what brand of oil filter to use.

I'm a freak when it comes to proper vehicle maintenance. I see modified engines with ITBs, and shudder in horror over how many grams of sand must be entering the combustion chamber on a daily basis.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Change Honda filter every 10,000 miles... sooner in dusty climates. Get regular FRAM air filters when they start making one for the Si.

televascular post +1.

SVD +1.

·
Registered
228 Posts
a good way to know when you need to change your air filter is when you get shitty mileage and for me, 3rd and 4th gear would hesitate when trying to accelerate until i changed the air filter. after that it was fine.
How bad mileage did you get with the dirty air filter? I think Im gonna replace it because Ive been getting only 14 mpg. Is that too big of an impact?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts