8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently was around 1,500 miles over due for my oil change so I wanted to make sure the oil was at a good level. I bought two quarts of oil, and added them to my 2007 Civic to tide me over to my oil change appointment. I added the two quarts last Friday, and I did not check the levels after it was running only after I filled the tank. The knob on the top of that stupid orange dipstick was what I thought the fill line was, and it was half way to that knob. Just after filling it. It had not been running. Obviously I added too much oil, but I only drove 230 miles, or 70 miles commuting to work daily until I got it changed today, Tuesday.

Can having too much oil in only for 4 days really harmed my engine? seals, and crank? I did not hear the mechanics mention anything to me, but in a related note they also tried (and I say tried) to make me change all my fluids transmission, steering, brake fluid, and air filter with high mark ups. (ie $65.00 to install a cabin air filter) I laughed at them.

Just more concerned about the oil damaging the other components. It was not overheating, or running rough. I did not notice any change in performance except the gas mileage was not as good as it could have been. It's been a bitter winter storm here too, so not sure if that effected any readings.

I hate that stupid orange stick, every other car in the worlds full line is at a bend or space above that bottom line, but no this has to be at the top of some waffle concave. :facepalm:

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
In the hatched area of the dipstick is the range (check level before adding)

At 1500 miles overdue the contrast against the orange plastic should have been perfectly clear.

Over filled oil ?? Just keep an eye on oil level....and garage floor, and hope.

And also, don't ignore those recommended services for too long, he is likely legit.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
They took out the oil, and no they were not legit. He marked up everything for the car after I mentioned a small vibration in the steering column. Telling me I needed 1,800 hundred dollars in work done with all my fluids needing replacement (80 dollars for steering fluid etc) and saying all my steering arms and one axle were shot and saying 700$ for tires was a good deal when I can get them down the road for 300-400 bucks.

He tried everything to back me into a corner, when I know you can replace the air filter in less than two minutes and the part is 16 dollars. They charged the guy next to me in the waiting area 98 dollars to replace his two filters, I wanted to turn to him and say "You can do it yourself in three minutes for 25 bucks!"

How can I trust anything they say after that. I'm looking into every claim them made myself, and so far everything has checked out fine. I'm going to take it to another mechanic and see what he finds.

As for reading the dipstick wrong, it's totally my fault for not doing thr research, but the design is really flawed.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
ATF = 30k (6xk if you go by mm)

Steering fluid = no set service interval (but yours may be 6-7 yrs old)

Brake fluid = every 3 years

Air & cabin = 20-25k

Keep a record of past work done ??

Gave up cheap tires years ago....too many problems. (maybe that's your vibration)

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Design is totally flawed?

That's how all dip sticks are. That's the motor industry standard for the most part.

You put (2) extra quarts into a 1.8L motor that only takes ~4.5 quarts to begin with. You got lucky if no harm was done.

No wonder why the guy was trying to take advantage of you, it's apparant you're not educated about automobiles

·
Read Only
2,083 Posts
Bingo and if the OP would have read the owners manual he would have figured it out.

Design is totally flawed?

That's how all dip sticks are. That's the motor industry standard for the most part.

You put (2) extra quarts into a 1.8L motor that only takes ~4.5 quarts to begin with. You got lucky if no harm was done.

No wonder why the guy was trying to take advantage of you, it's apparant you're not educated about automobiles

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ATF = 30k (6xk if you go by mm)

Steering fluid = no set service interval (but yours may be 6-7 yrs old)

Brake fluid = every 3 years

Air & cabin = 20-25k

Keep a record of past work done ??

Gave up cheap tires years ago....too many problems. (maybe that's your vibration)
I keep all records, and the tires that are on now need replacement but they are marked as 137 dollar a piece tires. I changed the air filter 3 months ago, and it has 9,000 miles on it.

The steering fluid is quite clear, not darkened.

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
saying 700$ for tires was a good deal when I can get them down the road for 300-400 bucks.
I would not put a set of $300 tires on my car. Not saying that price = quality, but $100+ per tire is about the going rate for anything decent in this size, and that does not include installation/balancing.

The shops price for tires, and all the other prices you mentioned, are pretty standard mark ups for dealership / high end service shops. You could probably have the work done elsewhere for less. And yes they will try to sell you on all the basic maintenance stuff unless you can show it has been done recently. Doesn't necessarily mean they are dishonest, but they are trying to make money by selling you a service. No different than any other industry.

Paying $98 to spend three minutes replacing two $25 filters also seems silly, and it is an easy job. But most people would say the same about an oil change, yet a simple mistake like yours could have very easily cost you $5000 to fix. I have seen one case where someone managed to install an air filter incorrectly and a couple months later his piston rings were history.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I would not put a set of $300 tires on my car. Not saying that price = quality, but $100+ per tire is about the going rate for anything decent in this size, and that does not include installation/balancing.

The shops price for tires, and all the other prices you mentioned, are pretty standard mark ups for dealership / high end service shops. You could probably have the work done elsewhere for less. And yes they will try to sell you on all the basic maintenance stuff unless you can show it has been done recently. Doesn't necessarily mean they are dishonest, but they are trying to make money by selling you a service. No different than any other industry.

Paying $98 to spend three minutes replacing two $25 filters also seems silly, and it is an easy job. But most people would say the same about an oil change, yet a simple mistake like yours could have very easily cost you $5000 to fix. I have seen one case where someone managed to install an air filter incorrectly and a couple months later his piston rings were history.
Good to know, but I've installed quite a few things in previous cars and they were all fine. The air filter mark up is ridiculous but I certainly installed them correctly. It's so easy. I would not try and change my oil because I don't have the equipment, but I won't pay them giant mark ups for parts and installs just because they think I'm an easy target.

I realize they are a business, but how many other times I was in there for an "inspection" and oil change and they did not mention those other issues? Only after I mentioned a small vibration in the steering column, then it's 1,800 dollars. I'm not knocking their work, but how can I take anything they say seriously when I know most of those issues are not that hard to address or expensive.

I try to do the research, and be as well informed as possible but with some it's not very encouraging to even try to ask questions or try and learn when they just tell you, you don't KNOW anything. How can you know without learning. I'm sure some of you weren't born with instant knowledge about cars. Everyone has made stupid mistakes too, but I can totally admit my short comings. I was overworked and stressed about being overdue for the oil change, that's what led to my crappy oil decisions.

As for the tires, I would love to spend more on my tires. But it's not feasible.
They quoted me $700 dollars on tires NOT installed, for the same exact brand/model down the Street that are $400 INSTALLED.

I'd love to do a lot of things to my car, but when you can't it makes it really hard and really frustrating when some mechanics try and take advantage.

·
Registered
443 Posts
You may or may not live in a city, which is large enough to have its own Honda club.
You should search for a local car club and join, just like you did here.

Ask the members, in your town for the name, of a mechanic.

So, where do you live?

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
simply not true...

Go on discounttiredirect.com... they are always having some sort of sale, themselves, on tires... then combined with manufacturer discount. Huge savings possible

I bought $420 worth of tires for $270/shipped last fall... when all the rebates were added up. Then spent $44, at my local shop, for them to be installed.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
simply not true...

Go on discounttiredirect.com... they are always having some sort of sale, themselves, on tires... then combined with manufacturer discount. Huge savings possible

I bought $420 worth of tires for $270/shipped last fall... when all the rebates were added up. Then spent $44, at my local shop, for them to be installed.
Wow, thanks! I'll certainly look into that. I live in Indiana, the only car clubs around here are for Vintage cars. Where could I find a Honda club? are they online with the chapters listed? Our town is not very big, that's why I can only go to the one Honda dealership.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Honda should have made those dipsticks white. If your oil is clean it is very difficult to tell where it is on the dipstick. I have never had to add oil to mine but check it every couple thousand miles anyway.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I recently was around 1,500 miles over due for my oil change so I wanted to make sure the oil was at a good level. I bought two quarts of oil, and added them to my 2007 Civic to tide me over to my oil change appointment. I added the two quarts last Friday, and I did not check the levels after it was running only after I filled the tank. The knob on the top of that stupid orange dipstick was what I thought the fill line was, and it was half way to that knob. Just after filling it. It had not been running. Obviously I added too much oil, but I only drove 230 miles, or 70 miles commuting to work daily until I got it changed today, Tuesday.

Can having too much oil in only for 4 days really harmed my engine? seals, and crank? I did not hear the mechanics mention anything to me, but in a related note they also tried (and I say tried) to make me change all my fluids transmission, steering, brake fluid, and air filter with high mark ups. (ie $65.00 to install a cabin air filter) I laughed at them.

Just more concerned about the oil damaging the other components. It was not overheating, or running rough. I did not notice any change in performance except the gas mileage was not as good as it could have been. It's been a bitter winter storm here too, so not sure if that effected any readings.

I hate that stupid orange stick, every other car in the worlds full line is at a bend or space above that bottom line, but no this has to be at the top of some waffle concave. 🤦
Actually very helpful thank you

1 - 18 of 18 Posts