8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I've been browsing the forums for a few weeks now, and I've finally registered (yay!) and I've been mostly researching getting new HID lighting for my car. So far, the most I've seen are kits from Xenondepot and Ebay, but I still have questions remaining.

Price, at this point, is no object; these lights let me see in the dark, and are a safety tool as important as a seatbelt, in my mind. That being said, safety tools can always look good too, right? :laughing:

My first real exposure to HID lighting was poor after market job on a friends Acura. He then upgraded to an RX-9, which came with HIDs stock... and they were beautiful! They were a crystal-crisp blue-tinged white. Can I expect the same quality and crispness from a Xenondepot kit? If so, what "K" do I have to reach for to get that crisp just-barely-blue tinted white? I've read that anything over 4300K is essentially useless. Is there water to that fact? Will a Xenondepot kit replace low beams, or both high and low? Are there after market high beam kits?

I know there are a lot of questions, and trust me, I've tried to do the research myself... I'd have figured it out too, if every site I visited wasn't trying to sell me something. :p

So a little help will go a long way! Thanks.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
If your looking for a crisp cutoff you need to get a projector retrofit from a company like Customlightz. If your looking for a Plug and Play kit from Xenondepot or ebay - your gonna get hotspots period. I have a 6500K Xtreme HID kit from Xenondepot and personally I love it but I really want a retrofit done in the future. Customlightz offers a TSX projector color mod which gives you the rainbow cutoff I think you mentioned and gives a little bit of that BMW blue bulb look (someone correct me if I'm mistaken).

No matter what though, you cannot expect the same quality from a plug and play kit than you would from a projector retrofit. If money is not an issue than I would suggest the retrofit.

If you decide to take the plug and play road, 9006 is your low beam bulb and 9005 is your high beam size. You will need separate kits for both highs and lows and you will need to pull fuse 37 to kill your DRL's if you decide to get HID high beams.

Hope that answers at least some of your questions!
SiC

btw - Welcome to the 8th!

·
Registered
141 Posts
If your looking for a crisp cutoff you need to get a projector retrofit from a company like Customlightz. If your looking for a Plug and Play kit from Xenondepot or ebay - your gonna get hotspots period. I have a 6500K Xtreme HID kit from Xenondepot and personally I love it but I really want a retrofit done in the future. Customlightz offers a TSX projector color mod which gives you the rainbow cutoff I think you mentioned and gives a little bit of that BMW blue bulb look (someone correct me if I'm mistaken).

No matter what though, you cannot expect the same quality from a plug and play kit than you would from a projector retrofit. If money is not an issue than I would suggest the retrofit.

If you decide to take the plug and play road, 9006 is your low beam bulb and 9005 is your high beam size. You will need separate kits for both highs and lows and you will need to pull fuse 37 to kill your DRL's if you decide to get HID high beams.

Hope that answers at least some of your questions!
SiC

btw - Welcome to the 8th!
I'm thinking about upgrade my high beam to HID, so do I really have to kill my DRL? Can't use HID for DRL????

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
He then upgraded to an RX-9, which came with HIDs stock... and they were beautiful! They were a crystal-crisp blue-tinged white. Can I expect the same quality and crispness from a Xenondepot kit?
I'm assuming you mean RX-8. But, if you get a 4300K kit, you will get that white coloration illuminating the road, but you won't have the "look". You need projectors for that. But, in all fairness, I like Xenondepot kits and have had really good luck with their customer service. They charge more than others, but I think they're worth the money.

If so, what "K" do I have to reach for to get that crisp just-barely-blue tinted white?
You're looking at somewhere at or in-between 4300K and 6000K. Keep in mind that bulbs will colorshift as they get older...meaning they'll likely "yellow" a bit after extended use. The bulbs in my retro have colorshifted after about 2 years, whereas they were bright and crispy white when I first got them.

I've read that anything over 4300K is essentially useless. Is there water to that fact?
Sunlight is at 4300K, meaning your eyes are adjusted to that light. Everything appears more natural, and there's more contrast. It's pretty much optimum operating light for a human's eyes. Anything more starts to go blue and into purple at the higher end, which the human eye can "see", but you won't be able to see as much.

Will a Xenondepot kit replace low beams, or both high and low?
Low beams and/or high beams. Up to you. The current Civic works on two bulbs, 9006 in the low beams and 9005 in the high beams. So you can get either a kit for only the low beam, only the high beam, or both. It's up to you.

Are there after market high beam kits?
Yes, for sale in the same places as the low beam kits.

Honestly, if you want superior light output: get a retrofit. While a plug and play kit from XenonDepot will improve your lighting, a retrofit will FURTHER improve your lighting because those projectors are meant to compliment the D2S bulbs rather than our halogen housings that are meant to compliment halogen bulbs, not D2R bulbs. The added benefit is of style. You get that cool starlight effect when those headlights come at you, the crisp cut-off line, and you won't be blindsiding people with the glare. :thumb:

I'm thinking about upgrade my high beam to HID, so do I really have to kill my DRL? Can't use HID for DRL????
I wouldn't think you'd be able to. If you're doing this only for looks, just get Sylvania Silverstar Ultra bulbs. The DRLs run on a low current, and probably won't trigger your HIDs to turn on in your high beams. The only reason I would get HID for the high beams is if you use high beams constantly. If not, then it's purely cosmetic and not completely necessary.

Customlightz offers a TSX projector color mod which gives you the rainbow cutoff I think you mentioned and gives a little bit of that BMW blue bulb look (someone correct me if I'm mistaken).
I have the rainbow mod done on my TSX projectors. The cut-off is very colorful (the full rainbow) while looking at them coming towards you -- it's mostly blue, but when I hit a bump and the lens starts reflecting light a little differently according to my eyes, I see a lot of color, from green to nearly orangey.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.