8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title states, I was wondering what some people think about header wraps. I have done some research on different forums and it seems the majority says to NOT wrap your header(s).

Wrapping your header is supposed to reduce under hood temps and help the hotter exhaust gases exit the exhaust system more quickly. It seems accomplishing these goals is not the issue. What the issues seem to be is the fact that with a wrap, the header is more prone to rusting (not being able to breath). Also, the header is more insulated, therefore it becomes hotter and more apt to warping. Frequently Asked Questions

^^The website I referenced is absolutely against wrapping. It seems to be a good idea to just wrap wires and such to protect against the heat.

Just wondering what you guys thought or if you have any experience with this. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
i have header wrap on my cb7... to tell you the truth, it hasnt really gained MUCH performance, but it has kept the underhood temps down enough to notice it by sensing it. i did some research on whether or not to header wrap my headers, and came to the conclusion that it's best to keep underhood temps down for me anyways (b/c nose-end of motor headers instead of back end of motor (like our cars) is more noticeable in the bay imho) honestly though, if you're gonna wrap the dc headers, just do it, it's not TOO EXPENSIVE (headers, wrap or paint all of which are fairly decent price), you'll get some minor performance out of it, BUT BE SURE TO WRAP IT CORRECTLY and dont get it dirty when you do it. take your time to wrap it, when i was doing mine, i soaked my wrap in water before wrapping to ensure a tighter wrap. also do buy the high temp coat for it, it makes it look oh so better and keeps dust and junk out of your header wrap better.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As stated above, header wraps are noted for helping exhaust velocity and underhood temps. But, as many have said.....and a few header companies, that wrapping a header will not only void a header warranty, but promote rust and header warping.

·
Registered
343 Posts
The only cars ive needed to wrap exhaust system components on are cars with forced induction, and its usually a waste of time unless your underhood temps are incredibly high. When your turbo manifold is glowing, then you need to dissipate some heat. I dont think that wrapping your headers will hurt, as long as they are stainless, mild steel will probably rust badly with wraps on, they seem to keep the rain in, or you could warp your headers. You probably wont see any notable gains anyway, its really up to you. I have warped headers very badly, before with wraps, one of the first sets on my eclipse, a custom tubular manifold for my turbo, was completely destroyed within 6 months. I have since removed all insular wraps from my cars. The possibility of thousands of dollars of damage is very real, personally i wouldnt do it.
-Paul

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
As stated above, header wraps are noted for helping exhaust velocity and underhood temps. But, as many have said.....and a few header companies, that wrapping a header will not only void a header warranty, but promote rust and header warping.
Warping is from the high temps because the wrap contains the heat, and it gets very hot. all it does is put a little more strain on the metal, but if it's built properly, it shouldnt deteriorate that fast. Plus from what i've heard, the DC header isn't that great of a header, but it's a brand name company so it should withstand some abuse, as long as you dont redline it every gear every day every time you get a chance.

·
Registered
850 Posts
I agree with everything said here I wrapped my DCRH and not really for the performance but for the lowing of the underhood temps. I wouldn't wrap it all the way down because of the water factor and the wrap will hold it in, So the header will rust in time. Just my 2 cents. :popcorn:

·
Registered
327 Posts
I have a Comptech header and it's already kinda rusting. So overtime it's going to happen. I wish i would have wrapped mine. I think it helps.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Ceramic coating ... QUALITY Ceramic Coating is VERY effective ... more effective than wraps at containing and controlling under-hood heat ... As an added bonus, it is bonded protection layer that minimises (but does not prevent) rust, plus it does not hold moisture the way wraps do.

Here is just one example .... Google will find you more

Swain Technology for engine piston coatings, race engine coatings, ceramic header coating, carbide metal coatings, thermal spray plasma coating, metalizing closures, spray welding

Moose

·
Registered
13,652 Posts
Ceramic coating ... QUALITY Ceramic Coating is VERY effective ... more effective than wraps at containing and controlling under-hood heat ... As an added bonus, it is bonded protection layer that minimises (but does not prevent) rust, plus it does not hold moisture the way wraps do.

Here is just one example .... Googe will find you more

Swain Technology for engine piston coatings, race engine coatings, ceramic header coating, carbide metal coatings, thermal spray plasma coating, metalizing closures, spray welding

Moose
My point exactly.

·
Registered
799 Posts
My point exactly.
Hahaha - Missed that :redface:

It is amazing stuff ... My old Track car had a coated Bisi Equal-length 4-1 header could be touched (briefly) when running without burning my finger and with in minutes of the engine shutting off, the header was cool to the touch ... Under hoods temps dropped 10-15 degree's easy. NO heat soak even on the hottest days

The coated Intake manifold and CAI intake tubing could be held for long lengths of time without geting uncomfortable ... WITH the engine running

It is the ONLY way to go. My IM is coming off to be ceramic coated in the near future, as well as any header that will be installed.

Moose

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Anyone heard of Jet-Hot coatings?? They seem pretty good and well-known. Just wish something was local of course.

·
Registered
13,652 Posts
Hahaha - Missed that :redface:

It is amazing stuff ... My old Track car had a coated Bisi Equal-length 4-1 header could be touched (briefly) when running without burning my finger and with in minutes of the engine shutting off, the header was cool to the touch ... Under hoods temps dropped 10-15 degree's easy. NO heat soak even on the hottest days

The coated Intake manifold and CAI intake tubing could be held for long lengths of time without geting uncomfortable ... WITH the engine running

It is the ONLY way to go. My IM is coming off to be ceramic coated in the near future, as well as any header that will be installed.

Moose
Are you gonna leave it white or are you gonna paint it afterwards? I can't wait for the details.

Anyone heard of Jet-Hot coatings?? They seem pretty good and well-known. Just wish something was local of course.
They're decent. I would go with whatever's cheaper even though I would rate the swaintech coating better out of sheer personal preference.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Are you gonna leave it white or are you gonna paint it afterwards? I can't wait for the details.
Unfortunately it will not be done by Swain ... as I live in Canada, it will be locally, in a Silver/grey coating that should look fairly OE

The IM Will take awhile ... as I intend to purchase a second IM, cut it open, port and radius the runners. Once that it done it will be coated and installed.

Moose

·
Registered
13,652 Posts
Are you gonna leave it white or are you gonna paint it afterwards? I can't wait for the details. QUOTE]

Unfortunately it will not be done by Swain ... as I live in Canada, it will be locally, in a Silver/grey coating that should look fairly OE

The IM Will take awhile ... as I intend to purchase a second IM, cut it open, port and radius the runners. Once that it done it will be coated and installed.

Moose
Sweet! Post pics when it's done if you can. :thumb:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts