8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my Si back in April and currently have 2,500 miles on it. I am debating if I should change the oil in it now or later. I am going to college in the coming weeks and parking the car in a parking garage where I will live. However, I will not be driving the car that much, only from Madison, WI to Wausau, WI and back about once a month or so. (~280 miles) I won't be driving it otherwise, that's what the moped is for. :laughing:

My oil life meter is at 70%, but the oil is already 5 months old, and I have no clue when I'll be at 15% oil life. It would be much less of a hassle for me to get my oil changed here in Wausau.

I will be changing the oil to Mobil 1 synthetic and possibly the MTF to Amsoil.

BTW, I would have the dealer do the oil change. Will they allow the oil to be changed to Mobil 1 if I purchase the oil elsewhere and bring it in?

Thanks in advance for opinions.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Whatever you want to do man. It's not going to affect anything really one way or the other in the life of your vehicle. The question is.. do you want to go ahead and change it now to get it out of the way? Or wait until you start driving it more often then change it?

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
I'm taking mine in on Saturday for my first oil change and by then I'll have about 4300 on it. It depends on your driving, I don't see why you need to change the oil if the life meter says it's at 70%, especially since you are going be using synth, wait until it's 15% and don't waste your money, if you are like many college bound students you pobably don't have wads of cash falling out your pockets

·
Registered
302 Posts
Duce2k said:
I'm taking mine in on Saturday for my first oil change and by then I'll have about 4300 on it. It depends on your driving, I don't see why you need to change the oil if the life meter says it's at 70%, especially since you are going be using synth, wait until it's 15% and don't waste your money, if you are like many college bound students you pobably don't have wads of cash falling out your pockets
Ever seen how much metal is floating around in your oil from a new car? The gauge is just a representation of how you drive the car. It does not meter how much moisture the oil has absorbed etc. etc...

·
Registered
302 Posts
No I understand, its a extremely debatable topic with biased opinions. It generally comes down to what the owner wants to do.

I was just throwing my opinion out there :)

I know it's a honda, but IMO, I think it does affect the power output of the motor and the life.

·
Registered
43 Posts
You should be fine changing your oil anytime after your break-in period is over with. Also I put the Royal Purple SAE 10W-30 in my tranny like the Royal Purple site recommends, and it works great. It's been about 2500 miles since I put it in. Like a quart of fluid came out when I pulled the fill plug on mine, and I know of a few others this happened to also. I wonder if the overfilling is causing some of the issues.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Just remember if you decide to switch to synthetic do it early rather than laters, oil seals conform to whatever has been in the engine since day1, so if you use regular oil too long and u decide to use synthetic it will cause oil leaks because conventional oil is much much thicker... so once u make ur choice STICK WITH IT.. just remember changing to synthetic may double your price in oil changes due to the cost of the oil...

·
Registered
87 Posts
well maybe im incorrect about thickness, however every tech ive ever talk to has always told me once u make that choice you stick with it cause if you switch back there is a good chance ur going to have oil leaks, or if u had a car with 60,000(example not specifically 60k ) that has always had conventional or always had synthetic do switch to the other.

·
Registered
87 Posts
again maybe im incorrect but wont oil get thicker or thinner depending on engine temp and weather temps? colder thicker, hotter thinner? wouldnt convential be more susceptiable to heat....?

·
Registered
142 Posts
schield said:
I bought my Si back in April and currently have 2,500 miles on it. I am debating if I should change the oil in it now or later. I am going to college in the coming weeks and parking the car in a parking garage where I will live. However, I will not be driving the car that much, only from Madison, WI to Wausau, WI and back about once a month or so. (~280 miles) I won't be driving it otherwise, that's what the moped is for. :laughing:

My oil life meter is at 70%, but the oil is already 5 months old, and I have no clue when I'll be at 15% oil life. It would be much less of a hassle for me to get my oil changed here in Wausau.

I will be changing the oil to Mobil 1 synthetic and possibly the MTF to Amsoil.

BTW, I would have the dealer do the oil change. Will they allow the oil to be changed to Mobil 1 if I purchase the oil elsewhere and bring it in?

Thanks in advance for opinions.
change oil every 3000 miles or at 50% on the meter, dont let it go under that

if you dont drive for a while make sure you at least change every 3 or 4 months. oil gets old.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Yes, the 2 numbers like 10w40 is the viscosity at cold then warm.

The switching back and forth from organic to syn is just a rumor, however I see no reason to switch back to dino oil once you've gone to Synthetic.

·
Registered
142 Posts
achapman said:
Yes, the 2 numbers like 10w40 is the viscosity at cold then warm.

The switching back and forth from organic to syn is just a rumor, however I see no reason to switch back to dino oil once you've gone to Synthetic.
:yeahthat: switching back wont hurt anything, i dont know why people think that. synthetics always better though

1 - 17 of 17 Posts