8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I had some sort of heavy heavy white overspray on my newly acquired NHBP coupe. The paint has swirls and have the tools and product to polish the paint. I picked up a meguiars blue detailing clay to remove the overspray. Following the steps and allowing the clay to do the work it would not budge the overspray. I resorted to medium force in short strokes side to side up and down using plenty of lube and the over spray started to come off but was very difficult. In some areas I had to use heavier force to pull it, it took about 3 hours of straight clay barring to get 95% of the over spray off the car.
As expected the paint is marred even tho the clay was kept clean by kneading a lot, never saw much dirt in it anyway as I only have 23k on it. The paint is very hazy looking at it dim lighting at certain angles, but at others I get perfect reflections like a mirror. I see horror stories of people ruining their clear and I feel sick thinking about. I didn't want to use force but without it, that overspray would still be all over the car.
Under bright light it shows holograms and fine micro scratches (hazy). Paint is smooth to the touch and never saw any black paint transfer to the clay thankfully, but what are the odds my clear is too damaged? I'm going to polish it in a few days but I don't know what to look for in seeing if I wore through the clear. I may be over thinking it..

·
Registered
392 Posts
Sounds like micro-marring. Happens most often after a bad polishing job. Take your time compounding and polishing to fix it. It should clear up.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I don't think your clear is ever too damaged unless it's through the clear. Seems like you need a good compound and polish.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts