8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just realize this when i take delivery on my 06 Civic EX yesterday, the manager told me that i m one of those few that gets the 06 Civic that is built in JAPAN, later shipment will be built in OH.

He said we can differentiate it by the VIN# (starting with J means its built in Japan)

The other 06 Civic on the showroom floor were built in OH.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Mine is Japan as well, though I doubt that means anything about build quality as the plants use the same machines to build the cars.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quality Control standard is different....

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
no concrete proof though... but here are a few examples i get from family and friends..

1) Acura TL/CL were built in the US, after 1-2years they start to rattle bad. (my uncle's car.)
2) GF stepfather works in Honda dealer said cars that built in US had more complains.(ie:Honda Element, CRV (those that made in US) and accord.)
3) thats why Lexus rated higher then Acura. (all lexus were built in Japan)

i m not here to bash those vehicle that were made here, just want to share more info with the public.

Many manufacturer have factory here in us including BMW (X5 were built here), Benz (ML were built here), not sure abt the quality on those.

·
Registered
321 Posts
JDM 06 Civic! :D

Anyway, does this apply to the coupes as well? Anyone see a coupe with a JXXX...XXX VIN? Just wondering because they've only got the sedan (chassis at least).

·
STIG: a tamed race driver
1,630 Posts
Man, I went to the delaer to look for a Japan one, and all they had was one with Navi and all loaded for $21k, I'm looking for like 16-17, so auto LX.. :( Gonna look tm and see if I can find anoter one

·
Registered
141 Posts
Yeah, the J cars are always better assembled...

At one point I had an RSX-S (all RSX's built in Japan), an `85 Dodge Ram-50 (MFG by Mitsubishi in Japan), and a Kawasaki ZX-6R 636...

I use to have something corney in my sig about all my VIN's starting with J. Less than a year later, I have nothing that starts with a J. The last year and a half of my life has been insane...

I was supprised to find that all CR-V's are built in Japan. I'm sure that will change with the next (3rd) generation...

·
1,630 Posts
CameronJr9 said:
I got one from Japan. And mine's an EX with navi, so yeah, it's at the $21k mark. It's so worth it though. I was at work and didn't know what I wanted to eat, so I asked my car. It's brilliant.
BRILLIANT.... BRILLIANT I SAY.....lol

Yeah, I really think the Navi is worth it, I just don't have the cash

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Scourge said:
JDM 06 Civic! :D

Anyway, does this apply to the coupes as well? Anyone see a coupe with a JXXX...XXX VIN? Just wondering because they've only got the sedan (chassis at least).
LOL!! u r rite! JDM 06 Civic!

·
Registered
106 Posts
so still no real proof, just a bunch of people claiming JP has some higher standards at it's Honda Assembly Plant than the one in the U.S.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
no real proof... but u can go JD Powers to read more abt complains on the Acura TL/CL that were build in the US.

but Honda in Japan has higher standards in QC thats for sure, didnt you hear of Japanese cars are more reliable? they have better resale value.... why? (except mitsubishi! they make crapy cars and warranty is a joke)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
From www.jdpower.com

2004/5 Acura TL (build: US) = 2 out of 5 stars for body/interior quality
2004/5 Acura TSX (build: US) = 2 out of 5 stars for body/interior quality
01 - 05 Acura RSX (build: Japan) = 4 out of 5 stars for body/interior quality.

TL and the TSX consider a luxury car compare to the RSX but the build quality is not as good as the RSX. So there is a difference between the US and Jap build quality.

hope this helps.

·
1,630 Posts
I've had 3 honda's from Japan and 3 from the US, the overall quality is noticably different, Japan manfuactured car are always better. Might be just me though, but I much prefer the Japan ones.

·
Registered
106 Posts
popi said:
From www.jdpower.com

2004/5 Acura TL (build: US) = 2 out of 5 stars for body/interior quality
2004/5 Acura TSX (build: US) = 2 out of 5 stars for body/interior quality
01 - 05 Acura RSX (build: Japan) = 4 out of 5 stars for body/interior quality.

TL and the TSX consider a luxury car compare to the RSX but the build quality is not as good as the RSX. So there is a difference between the US and Jap build quality.

hope this helps.

So why is the 2004 TSX 4 out of 5 and the 2005 TSX is 2 out of 5?

I know you guys really want to believe the whole 'import is better' deal but that really doesn't apply these days. U.S. plants function the same as the other plants around the world.

From J.D. power again since you seem to trust that site:

With regard to specific models, only the Honda Accord and Civic and Toyota Camry and Corolla are produced in both North American and Japanese plants. Honda Accords built in Japan have a nearly 25 PP100 advantage over those built in North American plants, while Civics built in North America have a nearly 15 PP100 advantage over their Japanese-built counterparts.
So if we are looking for hard evidence... that right there says AMERICAN made Civics are of higher quality on average.

I'm not saying this because I have a U.S. built Civic.. because mine was built in Japan, but there are way too many factors to think about. Statistically cars built on a TUESDAY are better than cars built on other days... now people try to explain that with workers feeling better on tuesdays about their work week, but I just call it BS, statistics are funny things, and I bet the person who gets a lemon that was built in Japan doesn't give a hoot about what some stat says about the assembly plant's rating or J.D.'s initial quality studies.

·
Registered
241 Posts
why would they do that to tease us? i mean waht does that mean your special if you get one with a j or what it seems like the first shipments are mostly lx autos, what about the coupes? will they be doing the same thing then?

·
1,630 Posts
iwu said:
So why is the 2004 TSX 4 out of 5 and the 2005 TSX is 2 out of 5?

I know you guys really want to believe the whole 'import is better' deal but that really doesn't apply these days. U.S. plants function the same as the other plants around the world.

From J.D. power again since you seem to trust that site:

So if we are looking for hard evidence... that right there says AMERICAN made Civics are of higher quality on average.

I'm not saying this because I have a U.S. built Civic.. because mine was built in Japan, but there are way too many factors to think about. Statistically cars built on a TUESDAY are better than cars built on other days... now people try to explain that with workers feeling better on tuesdays about their work week, but I just call it BS, statistics are funny things, and I bet the person who gets a lemon that was built in Japan doesn't give a hoot about what some stat says about the assembly plant's rating or J.D.'s initial quality studies.

You seem to be implying that you have been in manufacturing plants all over the world, is this true. Because I have, been to Honda, Ford, and GM plants in the US and visited a plant in Japan. The plants owned by the US companies are sloppy IMO. The plants in the US owned by Japan run a much tighter ship, the employees care about the plant. But the actual Japanese workers are a totally different mentality, they will literally die to save the plant and produce a good car. You certainly can not deny that the more the employees like their job and the more they put into it, the better the product. These Japanese people will work 14 hours days back to back and never once complain, they're fine with not taking breaks and never complain about their conditions as long as they can properly do their job. These kind of people are rare in the US and you certainly can not fill a plant with this type of person in the US. You can say what ever you want, but I've been there and there is a difference in the workmanship.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts