8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy, Brand spanking new to the forums and new to Hondas in general. I'm itching for some vtec (yo) and I've decided I'm pretty set on getting an 8th gen.

I'm wondering about mechanical things I should watch out for. I know the k20 is an absolutely monster of an engine (reliability wise), and I'm fairly mechanically experienced so I wouldn't mind a little maintenance, but I want to be safe and ask some experienced fellows about it. Its to my understanding the 06-08 model years have some serious transmission issues, so should I stay away from those years? If I'm wrong please correct me.

I also understand that they have clearcoat issues, but I've also heard that's only on a select few paints, elaborate?

Most Si's in my area are higher miles +170k and are asking for around $6k. I haven't checked any out yet, which is why I'm posting this so I can look out for things when I end up going to see one.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yeah you’re right the 07-08 have a transmission issue with 2nd and 3rd gear. Also some Si’s have an issue with not going into gear correctly. So a lot of people switch the CMC. Clear coat issue. Vtec solenoid might leak oil sometimes. Also speaker issues. The speakers tend to go out on the lower year models.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah you’re right the 07-08 have a transmission issue with 2nd and 3rd gear. Also some Si’s have an issue with not going into gear correctly. So a lot of people switch the CMC. Clear coat issue. Vtec solenoid might leak oil sometimes. Also speaker issues. The speakers tend to go out on the lower year models.
sweet! Thanks for the tips. Does switching the cmc fix the issue completely? Or can other stuff be done to ensure it’a fixed?

·
Registered
18 Posts
sweet! Thanks for the tips. Does switching the cmc fix the issue completely? Or can other stuff be done to ensure it’a fixed?
Yeah switching the cmc helps fix the issue . If issue isn’t fixed it’s most likely a bad transmission . The 09+ are supposed to have the transmission issues fixed . So I say try to look for an 09+. But if you can’t just try to make sure the gears are all good on the 06-08. Also switching to amsoil transmission fluid helps with shifting .

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah switching the cmc helps fix the issue . If issue isn’t fixed it’s most likely a bad transmission . The 09+ are supposed to have the transmission issues fixed . So I say try to look for an 09+. But if you can’t just try to make sure the gears are all good on the 06-08. Also switching to amsoil transmission fluid helps with shifting .
thanks, im figuring I can bite the bullet and get an 07 or 08 for a better price and try to keep up on transmission maintenance, or spend some more to get an 09. If it’s just the cmc and fluid that needs to be done, that’s not as bad as I thought.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I bought an 07 and sadly the second gear grinds .. I’m going to replace the cmc and if that doesn’t work then I’m going to work on the transmission. I bought it for a good price and it has low miles so I wasn’t complaining

·
Registered
423 Posts
No matter where you look, most of them are going to be unfortunately clapped with outside "mods" and the motor will be stressed out due to a bad owner. Look for one completely stock - preferably one that has been with a responsible owner (30+ year old who drives it normal) and thats really it for that. Even stressed, they are still very reliable.

06-08 Si's are known for 3rd gear grind as said, and ALL 8th gen Civics suffer from clear coat fade due to Honda's pathetic paint quality control which sucks. Some like mine out there (EX) are very clean and the paint and finish is amazing although I have no history of mine being repainted. The majority of 8th gens I see on the road have at least some clear coat coming off the roof but it is what it is - some owners don't care for it being a daily driver.

VIN check is very important to check on the Si since its an enthusiast car and are pushed aorund hard so at least some maintenance would be good to see. Some owners do wrench on these so maintenance showing up on the VIN check could be limited but a very smart owner would document everything but it doesn't matter as long as it was done.

Thats really it since I personally don't own an Si but I do have an EX and they are similar car other than the engine itself. Private sale is recommended so you can talk to the owner about the car and its history. While there, check on all fluids and ask when the transmission was last serviced if it doesn't show up on the CARFAX history report (or another VIN check source) :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No matter where you look, most of them are going to be unfortunately clapped with outside "mods" and the motor will be stressed out due to a bad owner. Look for one completely stock - preferably one that has been with a responsible owner (30+ year old who drives it normal) and thats really it for that. Even stressed, they are still very reliable.

06-08 Si's are known for 3rd gear grind as said, and ALL 8th gen Civics suffer from clear coat fade due to Honda's pathetic paint quality control which sucks. Some like mine out there (EX) are very clean and the paint and finish is amazing although I have no history of mine being repainted. The majority of 8th gens I see on the road have at least some clear coat coming off the roof but it is what it is - some owners don't care for it being a daily driver.

VIN check is very important to check on the Si since its an enthusiast car and are pushed aorund hard so at least some maintenance would be good to see. Some owners do wrench on these so maintenance showing up on the VIN check could be limited but a very smart owner would document everything but it doesn't matter as long as it was done.

Thats really it since I personally don't own an Si but I do have an EX and they are similar car other than the engine itself. Private sale is recommended so you can talk to the owner about the car and its history. While there, check on all fluids and ask when the transmission was last serviced if it doesn't show up on the CARFAX history report (or another VIN check source) :)
I appreciate the tips. I’ve got my eye on one in particular that seems to fit all the criteria of being stock and maintained well. It’s an 09 so gearing shouldn’t be an issue. At that point it’s the price that’s my biggest issue. This one in particular has 140k and he’s asking 6800 for it, but it’s got some cosmetic damage.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Ouch. If its fixable or repairable like a bumper or hood, maybe I would ask to lower the price. If its like a quarter panel that has good amount of damage, it won't be super easy to fix.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ouch. If its fixable or repairable like a bumper or hood, maybe I would ask to lower the price. If its like a quarter panel that has good amount of damage, it won't be super easy to fix.
That would be my plan of asking for ~6.3 or 6.4. It's got some weird puncture in the front bumper that cant be filled with bondo or anything., I don't think replacing it would be hard, but sourcing one seems daunting.

·
Registered
423 Posts
That would be my plan of asking for ~6.3 or 6.4. It's got some weird puncture in the front bumper that cant be filled with bondo or anything., I don't think replacing it would be hard, but sourcing one seems daunting.
I think the EX/LX/DX bumper fits on the Si as well. They are the same body other than the components.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Checking the car by VIN number is an important part before buying. I was advised by carfax as the best vin check, but I decided to look at analogs. The machine that I was considering was giving out a partial match in the service. So be careful before you buy. And look at the mileage, because at high mileage, there may already be problems with the engine.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I've had my 08 Si since new, and all of the above is accurate. My buddy is hooked on my Si so he's going through the same process of trying to find a relativity "unmolested" car.... same price point as you as well.
From my perspective, maintenance is priority number one for these cars, especially at higher miles. Oil, Trans, and as I found out, clutch fluids all changed at the proper intervals. Knowing who did the valve lash, if at all, would be helpful to know in my book...novice, experienced or dealer mechanic. Better to hear them, than smell them, as Eric the Car Guy once said.
The 3rd gear grind is a known issue with these cars, as well as the high Rev 1st to 2nd gear lockout due to the master cylinder issue. (Fixable on youtube)
My understanding is the paint fade is most prevalent on the Blue and Black paint jobs, tho none are really immune. I have a Rallye Red and is only now just starting to show fade in front of the sunroof.
Only other issue I've experienced as well as read, is the non-nav radio lights shut off randomly when the headlights are on. Mine does is about once every few months for a few minutes, then they turn back on...just buggy in its old age.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts