8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I am the proud owner of a brand new Si sedan. Going into the dealership two weeks ago, one option I was certain I couldn't live with out was the summer tires option. I've been a performance car nut for years, and felt that I'd be doing myself and the wider world a great disservice by purchasing a car with the performance pedigree of the Si and not complementing it with super sticky rubber. However, to my dismay, the salesman informed me that very few dealers in my area (Northern VA) stock Sis with the summer tire option, probably due to lack of demand in this climate, where we see some pretty miserable winters and often rainy spring and summer. I begrudgingly settled for their last remaining black Si, shod with a set of shiny - albeit all season - Michelins.

However, in the time since we drove it home from the dealer, I have been flat out astounded by the Sis handling prowess, much of which I'm sure has to do with the chassis and suspension tuning. If I originally thought summer tires were necessary when I first bought the car, then I'm definitely not complaining now. Granted, most of my driving has been relatively sedate, as I'm trying to religiously follow the "sub-5000rpm" break-in period for the engine for the first 600 miles, but I can hurl the car into any corner at what seems like any speed, and it responds with barely a whisper or chirp from the tires; it just stays glued to the pavement. As my previous 3 cars have all been American clunker sedans with slushbox transmissions, I've never really experienced this level of performance in my own car. Am I just in awe of the Sis performance relative to my older, crappy economy cars, or does it really perform well with the all-seasons?

What I'm wondering is, up to what level of driving aggressiveness will I be able to enjoy this kind of performance from the all-seasons? Basically, this car is my everyday driver, and as for right now I have no intention of ever making any performance mods beyond tires, so what do you guys think, when it comes time to replace these tires (I estimate about 30-40k miles before i need to do that, sound about right?), would I want to go for a new set of all-seasons or upgrade to summers? What do you all prefer? Its obviously still summer here, and I've yet to have to drive through snow or ice. Let me know what you think.

·
faptasic... pew pew pew
58,558 Posts
i have driven on the stock all seasons and nitto neo gens (all-seasons as well) and i must say i do love the nittos more than the stock michelins. i dont see a point of getting summer tires unless you having to sets of wheels or doing something like auto x.

decent set of all season will do in the dc metro area. and there are better all season tires compared to the stock michelins.

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
Summer tires are waaaaaaaaay better than the all seasons as far as cornering. Though there are much better tires out there for equal money.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Any other specific brands/models/sizes you guys would recommend as an all season replacement for the OEM tires? Are there degrees of performance for an all season tire?

and do tires come in "brands/models"? ha dont know if i said that right

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
NOVAblackSiSedan said:
Any other specific brands/models/sizes you guys would recommend as an all season replacement for the OEM tires? Are there degrees of performance for an all season tire?

and do tires come in "brands/models"? ha dont know if i said that right
Tirerack, site sponsor, has some great consumer reviews on tires. Check them out. I've always been a fan of goodyear personally but Im no expert. I just like to keep the road noise to a minimum.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I can get the stock POS Slippelins to lose grip and skid on almost any corner, at will. They might be alright the first few hundred miles but at 2k they are **** for me. They don't grip for **** in my book. Will be buying a good set of Kumhos or Potenza (RE050s) as soon as I get rid of some more tread.

·
Premium Member
19,589 Posts

I have the new Goodyear F1 A/S that were just released in July on my FBP FA5. I got rid of my Michelin's after only 500 miles. The Goodyear's are part of the new ultra-high performance tires that companies are coming out with. Check out my thread:http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47651

1 - 10 of 10 Posts