8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
^ I was worried about this when I purchasd my RSX-S back in 2001...

The night before I went to pick it up, I read about a guy who let his woman drive his, she downshifted to 2 instead of upshifting to 4 and she blew his motor...

I only had 2 close calls in the 3 years/30,000 miles I had on her when I traded it in. And BOTH times, I clutched back in immediatly, selected the proper gear and went on...

But in the time I owned it, 3 people including myself ever drove it. I was too scared that someone might mis-shift and blow the motor. The first few Acura covered, but then they stopped...

·
Registered
141 Posts
When your hauling a$$ and you shift from 3rd into 2nd(instead of 4th) on accident and your motor blows...

AKA Mis-Shift...

·
Registered
62 Posts
oh, i didn't know that was another turn for mis-shifting. lol i feel really dumb now cause i own a 5 speed 2k1. haha well whatever.

·
Registered
141 Posts
^ no problem, dont worry about it...

Its harder to mis-shift a 5-speed, Honda's 6-speeds are a lot closer together than the 5-speeds...

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'm still confused on how you can blow your motor going into the next lower gear, I'm assuming your at the top speed range for 3rd gear and then you drop it down into 2nd and the revs shoot up because the car is going too fast for the gear, the couple of times i have driven a manual it didn't seem like the transmission would let you do this. When you go to downshift from 3rd to 2nd and your not in the right range doesn't it just grind and not let you put it into an incorrect gear? Obviously I don't know jack about driving a manual, some more insight into this would be helpful. I want my next car to be a manual, but its stuff like this that scares me away...

·
Registered
141 Posts
^ well, you answered your own questions mostly...

Dont be scared, just let the shifter do its own work. 1-2 thats easy, 2-3 coming out of 2 it wants to go to nutral right under 3, 3-4 straight back. 4-5 up, to the right and up again, 5-6 hold her to the right and slide her right back...

The shifter doesnt need much input to do its job correctly, I think the problem is with grab happy people not paying attention to what they are doing...

The transmission will not grind from 3 to 2 with the clutch in. The transmission will not let you go to reverse and it is very tough to go into 1 after you've sped up. A 4 to 1 or a 2 to 1 mis-shift is pretty much impossible in a honda...

I didnt understand it either, I figured the rev-limiter would do something, but its too much for it to handle...

Someone else feel free to buz in and help me here, I'm not the best at explaining my self sometimes...

But please dont be scared to drive a honda manual. They are the best, and they are a pure pleasure to drive. You feel really connected to the car...

·
Registered
106 Posts
mininsx said:
^ well, you answered your own questions mostly...

Dont be scared, just let the shifter do its own work. 1-2 thats easy, 2-3 coming out of 2 it wants to go to nutral right under 3, 3-4 straight back. 4-5 up, to the right and up again, 5-6 hold her to the right and slide her right back...

The shifter doesnt need much input to do its job correctly, I think the problem is with grab happy people not paying attention to what they are doing...

The transmission will not grind from 3 to 2 with the clutch in. The transmission will not let you go to reverse and it is very tough to go into 1 after you've sped up. A 4 to 1 or a 2 to 1 mis-shift is pretty much impossible in a honda...

I didnt understand it either, I figured the rev-limiter would do something, but its too much for it to handle...

Someone else feel free to buz in and help me here, I'm not the best at explaining my self sometimes...

But please dont be scared to drive a honda manual. They are the best, and they are a pure pleasure to drive. You feel really connected to the car...
It's mostly kids who are missing shifts, you can see a few videos online of kids 'racing' and doing it and it's usually the 2-3 upshift, and they are 'WOT shifting' which means you keep your foot on the gas and punch the clutch and shift quick.

Most kids and inexperienced drivers tend to 'jam' the shifter in a forceful motion because they think harder = faster. But all you need is a flick of the wrist unless you are driving something like a Lambo with a gated shifter.

The rev limiter means nothing, this is exactly how you can blow an engine. Rev limiters only cut fuel off so that you can't throttle the engine to higher RPMs, however wheel speed can rotate an engine faster than it's designed to provided you are doing something dumb like shifting to first while going 60.

·
Registered
30 Posts
mininsx said:
When your hauling a$$ and you shift from 3rd into 2nd(instead of 4th) on accident and your motor blows...

AKA Mis-Shift...
no, you're referring to the "money shift" or a "mis-shift".

SKIP SHIFTING is where you are going quickly and wind out like 2nd gear, but then decide to stop accelerating quickly. so instead of going into 3rd gear, you SKIP shift to 5th or 6th.

skip shifting on 6 speed honda trannies is BAD. you should ALWAYS shift to each gear on the upshift, no matter how much you wind out a gear.

skip shifting is ok if you downshift (from say 5th to 3rd) as long as you don't shift to a gear that causes an overrev.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Chris3k2 said:
oh, i didn't know that was another turn for mis-shifting. lol i feel really dumb now cause i own a 5 speed 2k1. haha well whatever.
no. skip shifting and mis-shifting are two completely different things.

·
Registered
30 Posts
jp375 said:
I'm still confused on how you can blow your motor going into the next lower gear, I'm assuming your at the top speed range for 3rd gear and then you drop it down into 2nd and the revs shoot up because the car is going too fast for the gear, the couple of times i have driven a manual it didn't seem like the transmission would let you do this. When you go to downshift from 3rd to 2nd and your not in the right range doesn't it just grind and not let you put it into an incorrect gear? Obviously I don't know jack about driving a manual, some more insight into this would be helpful. I want my next car to be a manual, but its stuff like this that scares me away...
what happens is this....

you are winding out 3rd gear and reach the redline. you go to shift, and the most COMMON newbie mistake is grabbing the entire shifter with your hand on the side. since i can't think of a better way to describe it, your hand placement is as if you were going to grab your shifter and jack it off. lol.

when you do this, and go to put it into 4th, people have a tendency to PULL the gear towards them while also going to 4th. this causes you to actually put the gear into 2nd.

since you are redlined at 3rd, and go into 2nd, this causes a mechanical overrev, forcing the engine beyond the rev limiter. (rev limiter WILL NOT prevent this). this makes the engine go well into an rpm range it was not designed to do and often causes piston to valve contact, which will pretty much have the same effect as tossing a grenade into your engine. this has even caused rods to be thrown clear through the block.

in order to prevent this, you should put your hand ON TOP of the shifter while it's in 3rd. then simply use your fingers to push the gear straight back.

·
Registered
141 Posts
S2000man01 said:
no. skip shifting and mis-shifting are two completely different things.
Hmmm, the way the original posters posted, I mis understood them to be talking about mis-shifting...

All they said was I hope I dont skip-shift, like it was something of an accident, skip-shifting is something you can control, so I thought they were talking about mis-shifting...

·
Registered
141 Posts
S2000man01 said:
what happens is this....

you are winding out 3rd gear and reach the redline. you go to shift, and the most COMMON newbie mistake is grabbing the entire shifter with your hand on the side. since i can't think of a better way to describe it, your hand placement is as if you were going to grab your shifter and jack it off. lol.

when you do this, and go to put it into 4th, people have a tendency to PULL the gear towards them while also going to 4th. this causes you to actually put the gear into 2nd.

since you are redlined at 3rd, and go into 2nd, this causes a mechanical overrev, forcing the engine beyond the rev limiter. (rev limiter WILL NOT prevent this). this makes the engine go well into an rpm range it was not designed to do and often causes piston to valve contact, which will pretty much have the same effect as tossing a grenade into your engine. this has even caused rods to be thrown clear through the block.

in order to prevent this, you should put your hand ON TOP of the shifter while it's in 3rd. then simply use your fingers to push the gear straight back.
Very well put! This is how i drove my RSX-S, hand on the right 1-2, hand on top 2-3 and 3-4, hand slightly on the left 4-5 and 5-6...

Great explanation on the mechanical stuff too, I didnt know it was not healthy to skip-shift a honda 6-speed either, so I learned something too...

·
Registered
30 Posts
yeah i think the original post WAS about mis-shifting. i just added the part about skip shifting, since he was talking about the honda 6 speed in general. knowledge is power. :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts