8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyway people i finally got my greddy kit last monday it only took like 2 months to get to me. i ordered it on aug 21 but anyway who cares i am now boosting lol. and she is running great. the only problems i had will the kit was hooking up the e-manage and the intercooler piping which was the shittiest parts of the install. my and a couple of my friends did all the work which took about 2 evenings. and WOW what a difference in the car i am truly in love with my si all over again. now i just need to get some cash to have her tuned right. also in addiction to the kit i bought a turbo xs bov type-rfl and a turbo xs boost controller which i have to install still.

well, i do have a couple of questions about the kit.

1. sometimes when i am just idling it starts to smoke out the exhuast (its whiteish smoke) but it disappears when i hit the gas again plus it only happens sometimes not all the time. i also have a check engine light on for the secondary o2 sensor could this be why its smoking? cuz it does smell alot like gas.

2. if i put on 550cc injectors how much power and i am looking to add?

3. when i install my boost controller how do you set a manual boost controller?

4. whats my gas mileage suppose to be at? what is other turbo owners getting per tank? cuz my last tank only got me about 180-190 miles (i was also boosting and playing around with the kit alot

Thanks for the help in advance guys and gals.... i should have pics up soon but i will be posting them in my other thread i will keep everyone posted

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
congrats on the boost!! i'm jealous as im still waiting for my SC to ship out :p.

i would have your tunner set your boost to w/e it is that you plan on running and then tune your emanage. and you'll probably be running 100%. Larger injectors im guessing would help out quite a bit if you plan on pushing 8psi or so.

·
Premium Member
3,531 Posts
Congrats on the install and hope you enjoy the kit!

1. If I have to guess I would say excess amounts of fuel but that's a guess. Have you had the car tuned? If not, I would suggest a good tune and verify that u have the base map running. If you are running super rich that would trip both o2 sensors. Do you have a AEM UEGO type device to measure you o2/fuel ratio?

2. The Greddy kit is optimized for 370cc injectors. I called Greddy's Tech_Support and other sources. They DO NOT recommend anything larger than 370cc. Tuning and idling are the main concerns.

3. I highly recommend a electronic boost gauge over manual types. If you have a back ground in self tuning then I would say go for it.. but an eletronic is almost full proof for most individuals for setting the proper boost.

4. Most "Boosted" civics on the forums maintain there EPG and not bad while boosting. From what I have read so far.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
16,555 Posts
The whitish smoke happens only sometimes because your probably not letting the turbo warm up fully. The oil needs to be running through all the lines, and you need to drive the car for a little bit at operating temps before boosting. The little smoke you see is probably nothing more than a little oil getting pass the seals ( could also be caused by cooking the oil / not letting the car cool down fully )

·
Registered
281 Posts
white smoke is a lean condition
blue smoke is oil burning = oil in combustion chamber
light/little black smoke is a rich condition
heavy black smoke..... seek technician immediately

definately seek a tuning solution asap

·
Registered
164 Posts
he probabl just thinks its white in all honesty its kinda hard to distinguish the difference sometimes. also the reason it smokes is because the greddy kit drains back into the oil drain plug not the top of the pan which restricts flow into the oil pan.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Congrats, I just got my Greddy kit on about a week or two ago. The heat wrap sucked ass and getting the turbo through the hoses sucked. Piping I thought was easy, running the emanage harness wasn't too bad, just went through the OEM harness plug, cut a huge freakin slit in it. The downpipe will smoke a ton when you first are running it, and if you have a new exhaust it will smell weird and possibly smoke.

I just got my PLX DM-100 universal LED gauge and their wideband module. I think I'm going to get a Turbosmart boost tee, manual controller. I am going to also run the Synapse Synchronic BOV, anyone seen this yet? It is amazing, won a bunch of awards at SEMA last year. The BOV is a must I think, the surge sound drives me nuts... lol. It sounds like a BOV's retarded cousin.

I love the kit so far though, the torque down low is what this car is missing and is what I love the most. It is so easy to pass anyone anywhere in any gear.

·
Registered
465 Posts
The BOV is a must I think, the surge sound drives me nuts... lol. It sounds like a BOV's retarded cousin.
Make sure you recirculate the BOV otherwise your plugs will foul out very quickly. Happend to me. Now my BOV is tightened all the way closed so it doesnt blow-off. I'll open it back up when I get the parts to recirculate it.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Does anyone run a anti-stall kit?? I am really digging that Synapse Synchronic BOV.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Make sure you recirculate the BOV otherwise your plugs will foul out very quickly. Happend to me. Now my BOV is tightened all the way closed so it doesnt blow-off. I'll open it back up when I get the parts to recirculate it.
Seriously? Aren't you worried about compressor surge? The BOV is there to keep your turbo from getting destroyed not for cool sounds...:xyxnervou

·
Registered
9 Posts
you mean TiAL? Yeah TiALs are really nice B.O.V's and they wont leak under boost ever. Only thing is that you won't be able to recirculate back into your intake.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Seriously? Aren't you worried about compressor surge? The BOV is there to keep your turbo from getting destroyed not for cool sounds...:xyxnervou
Seriously, I know what a blow off valve is for. Thanks. I also know a little more than that apparently. I highly doubt 6psi backsurge is gonna fail my turbine bearings. It's dumping to the atmosphere that is the problem, its exhausting METERED AIR, which creates a rich condition, which in turn fouls the plugs, which in turn eats gas, which in turn costs me more in the long run than a new turbine. You don't need a bov for our application anyway, otherwise Greddy would have given you one. You think you got an intercooler and no bov because they are cheap?? Do you even have a boosted civic? Anyway heed or ignore, it's your set-up. But don't think I put a damn bov on my car because it "sounds cool". Halarious. I just didn't figure in the maf. I built this civic by myself halfway across the world from any "performance shop". I think I know what I need to do to keep her going. Not saying I know everything, but I hope I know what a BOV does.

·
Premium Member
4,756 Posts
Yeah, I don't run a blowoff valve either, and it's for the exact same reason. I'd rather have a car that runs right. Turbo rebuilds are cheap anyway, and it's not that hard to unbolt the GReddy one yourself and take it to a rebuild shop. It's gonna take several years before it needs a rebuild anyway.

·
Registered
16,555 Posts
Yeah, I don't run a blowoff valve either, and it's for the exact same reason. I'd rather have a car that runs right. Turbo rebuilds are cheap anyway, and it's not that hard to unbolt the GReddy one yourself and take it to a rebuild shop. It's gonna take several years before it needs a rebuild anyway.
Thats a VERY wrong statement. without running a BOV, you run the risk of that turbo seizing up at anytime, and going out sooner. Rebuilt turbos cost about the price of 2 BOVs. get one, and forget the headach.

·
Registered
16,555 Posts
Seriously, I know what a blow off valve is for. Thanks. I also know a little more than that apparently. I highly doubt 6psi backsurge is gonna fail my turbine bearings. It's dumping to the atmosphere that is the problem, its exhausting METERED AIR, which creates a rich condition, which in turn fouls the plugs, which in turn eats gas, which in turn costs me more in the long run than a new turbine. You don't need a bov for our application anyway, otherwise Greddy would have given you one. You think you got an intercooler and no bov because they are cheap?? Do you even have a boosted civic? Anyway heed or ignore, it's your set-up. But don't think I put a damn bov on my car because it "sounds cool". Halarious. I just didn't figure in the maf. I built this civic by myself halfway across the world from any "performance shop". I think I know what I need to do to keep her going. Not saying I know everything, but I hope I know what a BOV does.
:coffee:

You need a little 411 on how things work. AN atmospheric BOV isnt going to cause your plugs to foul out, wont cause your car to eat more gas, and wont cost you more in the long run.

I really wounder were some of you get your info from. Greddy didnt give you one, because there cheap, and want you to buy one.

ANY psi level can AND will ruin your copressor due to surge. When you run an ATMOSPHERIC BOV, the only thing that happens is your car " Blips " rich for a 1/10 of a second. THIS WONT HURT A THING. Its normal. Your plugs foul out due to running overly ruch under WOT, and you burn alot of gas under WOT. Why even get a turbo setup if concerned about fuel mpg?

Get a BOV, or GL towing your car home one day.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts