8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Very st00pid of me.. just put on a new dry filter for my air box and was testing it out.. .. wat happen was, i hopped on the freeway in (third) gear, smashed it till 8100 and.. when i started to change lanes, i shifted to second instead of (fourth).. :SHOCKED: all i saw was the RMP needle hit the -9- !!!!
i definity thought i damaged the engine or something.. but luckly nutting gone horribly wrong...

Wat i dont get is.. i thought the engine cuts off power or w/e after 8100 or 8200 RPM..??? i really dont understand wat just happened... i hit 9000 rpm in (GEAR) and no power cut nor engine blew, but for sure, from now on i'll always think twice b4 i shift.:xyxnervou sorry for being a st00pid nubblet:wavey::laughing:

just thought i had to tell someone..! :laughing:

·
Registered
319 Posts
It cuts off power at the rev-limiter by cutting off fuel. In your case, it wasn't the fuel turning the engine, it was the wheels of the car turning the engine.

As long as nothing seems strange, you should be ok. I believe piston valve contact happens around 10k.

Don't slam your switch gear and don't drop the clutch unless you are sure which gear you are in.

·
CHOO-CHOO!!!!!!
14,929 Posts
I did it too 1 time, and it scared the crap out of me. The rev limiter doesn't work when you downshift.

·
Registered
8,329 Posts
Yea do your best to not mis-shift and don't street race. Also, BOUNCING OFF YOUR REV LIMITER CAN BE BAD! Keeping any engine at high RPM's for any longer than needed can/will cause damage. I'm sure few people just hold it up at 5+k rpm's, but still try not to, although nothing seems bad, something could have happened and you'll know in the long run or when you're really not doing anything. You could slightly warp/bend/etc. a rod and not know until later on in a worse situation.

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
Dont trip. Cars today can handle mistakes like that, and i highly doubt you had any piston tap.

You say rpms went all the way to 9k; i'm pretty sure if that wasn't the limit on the screen you would have seen higher lol.

I'm sure the sound was nice yeah ?

·
Banned
14,725 Posts
i don't think bouncing off the rev limiter would do anything bad to your engine at all
lol, there is no rev limiter with downshifting. and teh rev limiter is 8250 (fuel cut off), not 9000.

not to be the bearer of bad news, but it wouldnt suprise me if you did damage your motor, just not enough to notice it imedeatly. you may have slightly bent a rod or such and a few more hard shifts could be the final sraw for your motor. if it was me, i woudl be very concerned....

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
i think its time for the OP to post up his VIN# so that if he sells his car then nobody would buy it on here.....

jk =]

·
Registered
970 Posts
Not wanting you to feel worse than you already do, BUT, if you mis-shifted into 2nd from 3rd at 8100 RPM (about 80 MPH) you hit something closer to 11,000 RPM than 9,000 RPM. (The tach only indicates up to 9,000 RPM.) I don't know if you lifted off the clutch for a second or so or "caught" your mistake nearly immediately.

At those RPM floating a valve and valve/piston contact is certainly possible. Have a competent mechanic scan the overspeed data. And if needed (sadly, probably) go in for a compression test.

Yeah, it's the money shift because you are going to be out of pocket something, if you are lucky, just the small amount of money for the compression test. Unlucky, a head rebuild. Very unlucky, and if you ignore what you've done and hope for the best, you could end up with the worst - paying for a new engine.

Good luck, and please don't "test" your car on public roads.

-mr. bill

1 - 20 of 37 Posts