8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so do i ignore the oil life gauge? can i go 7000 miles on it and not feel bad about it?

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Janizary said:
You service monitor indicates more than oil life for service recommendations.

i know, i'm talking specifically about the oil life monitor. it's set for regular oil, not synthetic, correct?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Regardless of synthetic or dino, I recommend 5-6k KM, even if the oil doesn't fully break down the oil filter probably can't keep up.

·
Registered
161 Posts
chanchan said:
Regardless of synthetic or dino, I recommend 5-6k KM, even if the oil doesn't fully break down the oil filter probably can't keep up.
Just curious what your recommendation is based on??

·
Registered
10,259 Posts
That's stupid.

Why would any oil company out there put a ton of time and money into R & D for motor oils to create an oil that can last longer and protect better just to be negated by the fact that the oil filter is only good for 3K? That would be a waste of their time and money.... Why wouldn't they just have an oil that lasts 3K to go with their oil filter that lasts 3K?

This makes no sense...

·
Registered
13 Posts
I am no engineer but I have been dealing with synthetic oils in military attack helicopters for 25 years, and have been running it since I got married in 1983 with all of my vehicles either sleds or my currient 04 Goat. I use it in my daughters 07 Si and with the high rpms that little machine runs it is the cheapest form of preventitive maintenance. 5000 miles and no more. I let my wifes 04 Accord Ex go 6000 and wasnt very happy at the blackness of the oil coming out. I also match the oil with a mobil 1 filter. In my opinion 2 dyno oil changes = 1 syn change. Same cost if thats what you are looking at.

·
Hidy Ho Neighbor
29,707 Posts
I am no engineer but I have been dealing with synthetic oils in military attack helicopters for 25 years, and have been running it since I got married in 1983 with all of my vehicles either sleds or my currient 04 Goat. I use it in my daughters 07 Si and with the high rpms that little machine runs it is the cheapest form of preventitive maintenance. 5000 miles and no more. I let my wifes 04 Accord Ex go 6000 and wasnt very happy at the blackness of the oil coming out. I also match the oil with a mobil 1 filter. In my opinion 2 dyno oil changes = 1 syn change. Same cost if thats what you are looking at.
:word:

·
Premium Member
19,589 Posts
:yeahthat: :thumb:

·
Premium Member
19,589 Posts
^^That picture of the battleship is awesome!
Thanks. It is the USS Iowa firing a 16" broadside. The Iowa could fire 9-16" shells weighing 2,800 pounds [essentially a Civic] for almost 30 miles. Talk about firepower!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts