8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trading my stock Si rims with TPMS and tires for a set of 18" HFPs with tires some time tomorrow. When we make the switch the plan is to just put the cars on jacks next to each other, trade the wheels from mine to his and visa-versa, and drive away transaction complete.

Now here is my question;

He claims there are TPMS sensors installed on his wheels and I am inclined to believe him as I think that he bought his car from the dealer new with the HFPs already on it.

But is there a way to know for sure with out taking the tire off of the wheels and physically looking? I don't want to have the added expense of having the tires taken off, put back on, and balanced, just to find out they were TPMS equipped the whole time (like $100):eek:mg:

Is there any way around this to know if he has TPMS equipped before we switch wheels?
I really need an answer fast because if he doesn't have TPMS it will be a deal breaker for me since I wont be able to turn off my VSA with out them on my wheels. I disable VSA literally every time I turn my car on.
Also I don't want any pesky CELs either.

THANKS PPL!!!!!

·
Banned
3,392 Posts
Well, the TPMS are programmed to the car, so you'd have to switch the sensors in the wheels anyways for it to work for either car.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
^You CANT be serious.. can any one confirm this?

if it is true (not that i don't believe you, i just don't WANT to believe that lol)
Is there no other way?
id be perfectly happy without TPMS at all if it didn't cause check engine lights and make me lose my ability to disable VSA (which i heard but cant confirm).. Is there any way to make that work?

Does anyone drive around with no TPMS installed on their after market rims?
there must be some...if so what do they do?

·
Registered
65 Posts
well its true the sensors are programmed to ur car! the only options u have is either take em off or take ur car and get ur sensors re learned with the new sensors trust me i work in a Tire Shop!

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dear god thats not good.

Ok well Is there anyway to know if he has TPMS at all? like when gets here is there any way to check that?

If he does and i can get them reprogrammed to my car at a later date I will still go through with it I suppose.. I really want those HFPs lol

·
Registered
65 Posts
yeah well first look at the valve stems if they are hard! not flexible like the regular valve stems than thats a sensor!! then look at his dash if the light comes on u know the light that shows the ! with an arc under it thats TMPS!! and yeah u might be able to get the reprogrammed but im not 100% sure

·
Registered
606 Posts
Why can't you just reprogram the sensors on the new wheels with your car if you're that worried about it? If it costs too much and wheels are that important, just ride around with a CEL (if it shows one) and check it every now and then to see if anything additional caused it.

·
Registered
513 Posts
they should have tmps, when he starts his car and the "TMPS" light is off then he has the sensors

also i believe the valve stems should say TMPS on them

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
^That the plan (getting the new sensors reprogrammed to my car) but I want to make sure his wheels HAVE sensors first with out have to remove the rubber. If he doesnt have them I'm worried I wont be able to turn off my VSA.

·
Registered
606 Posts
^That the plan (getting the new sensors reprogrammed to my car) but I want to make sure his wheels HAVE sensors first with out have to remove the rubber. If he doesnt have them I'm worried I wont be able to turn off my VSA.
Gotcha, but does everyone that has aftermarket wheels ride around with a CEL and VSA permanently on? Why can't you move the sensors and whatnot to a new wheel if they don't have it installed already?

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
try to jiggle the valve stem if it doesn't budge then it has or should have the sensors, if it moves like the old school valve stems then they don't

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
He doesnt have TPMS his car is an 07. And his rims had curb rash like WHOA

Oh well thanks for your help ppl

1 - 15 of 15 Posts