8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So for some backstory I was having performance and mpg issues. I did a ton of research around the site but hadnt found anything that I hadn't already looked for. Then I found a suggestion about checking to see if the tranny fluid had been changed, to my knowledge it had not. The cars an 08 ex with 120k on it. So a friend suggested before I try changing/flushing it with such high mileage I should try some Lucas transmission repair. He said it always worked well for previous cars he's worked on. The day I put the Lucas in I also added new grounding to the battery having read that was a common issue as well.

Next day the car was running great, noticable increase in acceleration, shifted smoother and my mpgs on that tank were a decent amount better. Fast forward to the last few days it's been about 2 1/2 weeks since the Lucas was put in, I noticed the transmission feeling strange. Slipping a bit on upshifts, feeling like it's almost popping out of gear at cruise speed and alot of the previous vibration issues are back.

So my question is do I do the change at this point and hope for the best or do I let it be running how it is and start saving up for a new transmission lol.

·
Registered
783 Posts
It really depends if you want to gamble it. My choice would be to change it now that you put in that Lucas stuff. Use the Genuine Honda DW-1 Fluid from the dealer. If you are mechanically inclined and can do oil changes, do a drain and fill on the transmission (do not flush).

When I inherited mine around 150k, the transmission service on my car was unknown and was shifting a bit hard so I performed a drain and fill 3 times which was done once a week (keep in mind my fluid was brown) and for the last one, I changed the transmission inline filter behind the engine which in result filtered my fluid good. My transmission has been shifting very smooth since then and my fluid is pink/red looking.

·
Registered
42 Posts
First off you can only drain and fill you cannot flush them or its not recommended, second I would not put Lucas in my transmission only honda dw1. Third I don't think the transmission was bad to start with I just bought an 08 ex automatic with 235k miles never had a drain and fill. It shuddered slightly but still shifted fine so I drained and filled twice so far and may do it a third time but if I were you I would drain and fill 3x get that Lucas out!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm no A tech but I was pursuing a job as a tech when I was younger. I've always done easy jobs that done require a lift and such. However I've never dealt with transmissions. I suppose I'll have to look up the difference between and flush and a drain and fill. I know I'm playing with fire here and if I'm not careful i may be looking at a new transmission. Do you think that the damage may already be done?

·
Registered
42 Posts
All you need is 6 qts of honda atf and a 3/8 drive ratchet to remove drain plug there is a youtube video I used a cinder block to drive on to lift slightly. Once drained it takes 2.5 quarts

·
Registered
22 Posts
All you need is 6 qts of honda atf and a 3/8 drive ratchet to remove drain plug there is a youtube video I used a cinder block to drive on to lift slightly. Once drained it takes 2.5 quarts
not to be a "know it all" but its always called for to change most fluids w/ factory stuff. All those friction clutches, Honda spends millions to develop correct fluid, then people fall for that miracle stuff pitch. Same w/antifreeze. I never knew how many formulas there were depending on aluminum alloy type of engine. Growing up there were 2 maybe,not now.! Can't go wrong w/ factory stuff just more$$ .

·
Registered
3 Posts
So for some backstory I was having performance and mpg issues. I did a ton of research around the site but hadnt found anything that I hadn't already looked for. Then I found a suggestion about checking to see if the tranny fluid had been changed, to my knowledge it had not. The cars an 08 ex with 120k on it. So a friend suggested before I try changing/flushing it with such high mileage I should try some Lucas transmission repair. He said it always worked well for previous cars he's worked on. The day I put the Lucas in I also added new grounding to the battery having read that was a common issue as well.

Next day the car was running great, noticable increase in acceleration, shifted smoother and my mpgs on that tank were a decent amount better. Fast forward to the last few days it's been about 2 1/2 weeks since the Lucas was put in, I noticed the transmission feeling strange. Slipping a bit on upshifts, feeling like it's almost popping out of gear at cruise speed and alot of the previous vibration issues are back.

So my question is do I do the change at this point and hope for the best or do I let it be running how it is and start saving up for a new transmission lol.
my moms element had 200k and when I replaced tran fluid every thing was better my 8th gen civic had 90k and I replaced and everything was good

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So the moral of the story is to do a drain and fill. Which is just a simple change of the fluid and filter. Well I'll give it a go and give y'all an update.

·
Registered
24 Posts
So the moral of the story is to do a drain and fill. Which is just a simple change of the fluid and filter. Well I'll give it a go and give y'all an update.
I recently drained and filled transmission fluid in my 08 EX auto with 175k miles, I tried to do it my self with some jacks on the garage but to drain the pan I did not had enough torque with a 3/8 ratchet so I had to go to a mechanic friend so he can lift the car and with a breaker bar he removed the bolt really quick. He told me that I almost messed up the bolt. Just a heads up.
I was not having issues with the transmission but the fluid were brown so I decided to make it, gear shift feels way smoother after a couple miles. Remember drain and fill every 30k-40k miles.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
First off you can only drain and fill you cannot flush them or its not recommended, second I would not put Lucas in my transmission only honda dw1. Third I don't think the transmission was bad to start with I just bought an 08 ex automatic with 235k miles never had a drain and fill. It shuddered slightly but still shifted fine so I drained and filled twice so far and may do it a third time but if I were you I would drain and fill 3x get that Lucas out!
So when you do your drain and fill you drain then fill obviously, but after do you drive a bit then do it again a few days later or right then?

·
Registered
24 Posts
A DIY that I found on this website estated that you should drive it back and fort and make sure there is no leak, and then maybe 2-3 miles later I did felt a fluid change was made.

·
Super Moderator
2,446 Posts
As the keeper of my 314,500 mile transmission (bought new in 07), I can suggest the following:
1) Do a drain and fill 3 times (spaced a day in between..... drive the car a little each day)
2) Use only Honda DW1 ATF, no aftermarket.
3) A Honda transmission with that many miles is fine to change the fluid so long as it is shifting fine. If it isn't, then leave it alone.
4) Stay away from Lucas products.
5) do a drain/fill every 30,000 miles.
6) Have a sip of your favorite drink
Here is a link of a DIY if it helps. Read my comments on the DIY (such as shifting during "top off" of ATF or going thru the gears). Changing the ATF is easier than changing the oil. Good luck and I hope this helps!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts