8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright just did a plug change on 2010 civic 1.8. While changing them notice number 2 had oil on the plug. Haven't had any misfires till 2 days after . I put ngk plugs back in. Anyway everything I've looked up shows nothing on the 8th gen atleast what I can find. I'm figuring they have O rings under the whole rocker arm assembly like the older Hondas but I could be wrong. Any help would be awesome.

Thanks,

·
Registered
2010 Civic
5 Posts
This is no help, but I just inspected and replaced my spark plugs because my car has been burning quite a bit of oil for the past couple of months. It burns up to one quart in 500 miles, sometimes nothing between fill ups (not usually).

·
Registered
2010 Civic
5 Posts
My 2010 Civic has 136,000 miles and has worked well for me. When I changed my plugs there was oil inside the spark plug tube of number 2. The burnt oil was also on the igniter tip. I could see burnt residue on the top of the piston. I am not sure what the root cause of all this goings on. I have read that the piston rings might be sticking or the valve guides are letting oil in. Why there is oil above the spark plug is a mystery to me. It could be that the spark plug gasket leaked the oil that is burning in the cylinder. I don't know

Thank you, I just joined

·
Registered
2010 Civic
5 Posts
Your spark plug tube seal is leaking. Watch on You Tube "Replacing the valve cover gasket and spark plug seals on a Honda K20 motor". The other source of oil might be at the bottom of the tube.
2010 1.8 L Honda engine's spark plugs do not go through the valve cover. Maybe the valve cover is leaking and entering the spark plug tube below the valve cover, but I have not seen evidence of that.

·
Registered
2010 Civic
5 Posts
After changing the spark plugs and cleaning the plug tube, I drove it for a day. When I got back home, I pulled the wire and saw oil was leaking in an one eighth inch, very light, stream down the tube from the nut. I used a 1 1/4" socket to take the nut at the top of the tube off. (I did not have a metric size socket but they are very close.) I cleaned the washer and all the area, re installed the large nut. Then I drove over 100 miles and checked the tube again. There was no oil. I will check again after another couple of days. The engine is running better for now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts