8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

It's been about a week since I bought my used 06 civic EX sedan w/ 56K miles. Three days ago, I noticed a couple of drops (of my garage floor) what look like oil the size of a nickel underneath where the engine block is. The first time I noticed it 3 days ago, I kinda blew it off as it was very small and couldn't verify that it was motor oil. The color was somewhat lot lighter than what you would think would be the color of engine oil after it's been used for a while. The color was more consistent with brand new oil and this makes sense as the whole car was basically refurbished including the motor oil. Even when checking the dip stick, it was kinda hard to see because the oil was so new, it didn't have time to turn darker.

But because I saw the drops a second time basically in the same spot, I'm suspicious that it is motor oil just seeping out. I'm not overly concerned as it's very small, but if it's seeping oil, I'd like to take care of it. I have warranty on it and the 1st 30 days is on them; no deductible,etc. What could possibly be the cause?

Another issue that's been on my mind is that I have noticed somewhat of a vibration emanating from the arm rest area when idle. Maybe I'm being somewhat critical but I've had an 01 civic ex coupe prior to this car and I don't recall having notice that kinda vibration. I know it'll be hard to reference the vibration I'm talking about but I would characterize it similar to one of those small portable body massagers that vibrate. Hope that helps. Unfortunately, I've never been in a brand new 8th gen civ so I can't compare. Has any one else noticed any if at all of vibration coming from the center console? Thanks.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Oil leak could be as simple as a loose filter or drain bolt. You stated they just changed it. Slide a piece of cardboard under the engine and let it sit overnight this should narrow down the area of the leak. If you have a jack and some stands you might as well take a good look down there and check it out. Remember there should be a crush washer on the drain bolt. The shop may have not replaced it or it has been re-used too many times. Since you have it under warranty let them do the work.

On the vibration your feeling it's sounds normal. Best to test drive another to see if it's just yours though just to be sure especially since you have a 30 day limit on the warranty. Just a thought have you run a car fax report to see if it was ever in an accident? Pretty cheap to get for some piece of mind. I have an 2007 EX coupe and love it. Good Luck.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Civil,

Thanks for the advice. I think I will jack up my car and take a look as I do have a nice jack and I want to familiarize myself with the car as I think I will do my own oil changes.
Also, I think I will test drive a 09 civic for comparison. I love my car too, it's fun to drive.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Hopefully you have the oil problem fixed. If not I noticed that when someone else changes my oil they tend to leave oil behind. Right below the oil filter is a small plate of metal in the shape of a small bowl. It's part of the right wheel suspension I think. It will hold, I would guess, about 1/4 cup of oil. Unless the oil changer puts a rag under the filter when it's changed out oil will find its way into this bowl. At varying degrees of tilt this oil will drip back out onto your nice new driveway, garage floor, etc.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
usa,

You may be right. There's a possibility it's not a leak or seep but oil left behind. I will need to investigate further. Thanks.

·
Registered
345 Posts
also on many cars they use a gasket or compression gasket on the oil pan bolt. If they get it to tight or for god sakes use an impact gun on it it will cause a leak.

·
Premium Member
4,294,967,295 Posts
Let us know what you find out,you can get the O ring for the drain plug bolt from Honda, they are really cheap.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts