8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. First post. Just replaced front brake pads and changed oil/filter on my wife's 2009 Civic. Previously she had taken the car to a quick oil change shop and I found the filter was way over-torqued, which I pretty much expect from a shop. After picking up an oil filter socket I was able to get it off and finish the oil change. I put on the new filter as tight as I'm used to - a bit of fresh oil around the seal and then hand tighten until the seal engages and then go another quarter turn or so to get a good seal. After I poured the oil in I verified there were no leaks. But when I checked again after starting the engine there was a pretty steady drip of oil from the filter. So I used my oil filter socket and tightened it up a bit more and ran the engine again, only to find out there was still a slow drip. Finally, after really torquing the filter on, similar to how the old filter was, I got the drip to stop.

Anyone know if there are known issues with getting the filter to seal on these 8th gen Civics? I've changed oil on lots of other cars, and the only time I've seen this before was when the gasket from the old filter was left behind. I verified the gasket came off with the old filter, but I didn't look to see if there was a gasket left behind from a previous oil change. Anything else that could cause this? How worried should I be about it?

·
Premium Member
2,027 Posts
I've never experienced this, the only thing I can think of is confirming there isn't an old gasket still there. Possibly a faulty Oil filter? I cant imagine an oil filter being torqued enough to bend or warp the area it attaches to.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
About this Discussion
1 Reply
2 Participants
killswitch21
8th Generation Honda Civic Forum
We’re a community for 8th Gen 2006 - 2011 Civic owners to discuss performance mods, body kits, Si models, turbo kits and accessories. Come Join the club!
Full Forum Listing