8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
According to the book and ownerlink you're supposed to change the oil under item A, and oil and filter under item B. So you're changing the oil filter every other oil change. What is other folks' take on this? I do our maintenace on both our hondas (her '09 1.8 Civic and my '07 Accord 2.4). I run M1, Pennzoil Plat or Motorcraft syn blend 5-20 oils and a PureOne PL14610 filter. Which is the factory application for both our cars. If I were having some crackhead place change my oil, I'd do the filter everytime. But being I do all our work under a microscope and run premium stuff I'm really debating following Honda's recommendation of a every other filter change. Price of oil filters, in general, over the past few years have jumped quite a bit. Even cheap STP filters that were $2.49 are now $4.49. Nap golds are almost $10, M1's are $13, KN's are $14 etc... Even a junk orange fram is $5-$7. I've been a avid Bob is the oil guyer for the past 10+yrs cutting open many many filters. I always come back to either a P1 or Napagold. And for small size filters (Hondas) I prefer P1's. So have any of you fellow 8th 1.8L'ers had issues with following Honda's intervals?

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
dude, u drive a honda. ur not paying big bucks for basic maintenance like my twin bro for his gt-r. spend the few dollars and change it.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I've done both on my 07 Civic. IIRC I cut open a Napa Gold (Wix) 1356 after a two-OCI filter change (but I can't find the pics now), and I've also cut open the same filter, and a Honda A01 and an A02 after a single OCI filter change. I didn't do any analysis of the filter but they all pretty much looked the same.

Logically, I think following the recommendation is fine and won't result in any damage. But I'm still a little hesitant myself and not sure what I'm going to do in the future.

I guess I'm in the same position as you!

·
Registered
203 Posts
I fell that most people would agree that buying a ~$10 oil filter every few months is a pretty cheap insurance plan to have for your car you paid ~$20k for.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I change my filter with every oil change. The only way I would skip a filter change is if I had a high mileage filter capable of cleaning oil for at least 10k miles.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I guess if I want to be cheap, instead of running a PureOne, just get the regular Purolator for $4.49 and change it every time.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I fell that most people would agree that buying a ~$10 oil filter every few months is a pretty cheap insurance plan to have for your car you paid ~$20k for.

Just to play devil's advocate, how far does this go? By the same logic, why wouldn't you run synthetic oil and change it out eat the normal interval, just as "cheap insurance"? Maybe change the oil every 2-3k miles instead of 5k or following the MM or whatever?

The point is the car either needs oil filter changes at each OCI or it does not. If in fact it does not, while cheap, it's still an unnecessary expenditure (and produces more waste as well).

·
Registered
43 Posts
At 3500 miles I'm going with Amsoil 0w30 and a Mobil 1 filter and change both every 7K-8K miles.
Oil filters aren't too costly and easy to change.Change it every time you change the oil..

·
Registered
600 Posts
definitely change the filter every time. I go by the maintenence minder and change both every 4000mi approximately. Whats $6 every few months, for the piece of mind if anything, knowing your car is healthy.

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
Just to play devil's advocate, how far does this go? By the same logic, why wouldn't you run synthetic oil and change it out eat the normal interval, just as "cheap insurance"? Maybe change the oil every 2-3k miles instead of 5k or following the MM or whatever?

The point is the car either needs oil filter changes at each OCI or it does not. If in fact it does not, while cheap, it's still an unnecessary expenditure (and produces more waste as well).
i run mobil 1 and change at 3k with new oil filters... cheap insurance...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Rationull- You seem to understand my point. The only argument people have against Honda's recommendation is "it's cheap insurance". Although true, I think Honda is basing their decision to recommend alternationg oil filter changes based in something deeper/scientific than "it's cheap insurance". The few people who do skip oil filter changes have had great luck with well over 100k, or 140k etc. I think I will try it once on my accord and wife's 8th gen. Nobody has actually seen an engine failure from following the book. I will just be extra keen and listen for startup noise and watch oil clarity.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
i change my oil every 3000-5000 miles and change the filter everytime ... maybe its unnecessary, maybe it isnt, maybe i'm wasting money, who knows lol ... this is how i've been doing it for years and will prob continue doing it this way lol

·
Registered
345 Posts
Rationull- You seem to understand my point. The only argument people have against Honda's recommendation is "it's cheap insurance".
That does seem to be the case (even on BITOG for that matter). Personally I don't really understand the use of the term -- it's not "insurance" at all, just extra preventative maintenance. And like all preventative maintenance, you reach a point of diminishing returns. The meat of the debate seems to be whether that point is between "every OCI" and "every other OCI" filter changes.

I'm very skeptical that the "every other OCI" schedule would actually cause premature engine problems. About the only logical reasons I can think of to disregard the recommendation is if you want to hedge against the filter getting clogged with excess wear metals, or to hedge against defective filters to some extent. But, if your engine is putting out so much crap that it would clog the filter (or if you've been running with a bad filter for 5-6k miles) ... you've got a problem already.

To think of it another way, there are plenty of people running 10-15k miles on synthetic oil in various cars. For me at least, the MM hits 15% at about 6k miles. So, even if I reuse a filter (and I'd only reuse a good quality one), it's only going to be on for 12-13k miles, well within the range of an extended OCI for many drivers.

Of course it's hard to put a price on the "warm fuzzies" that come with small amount of over-maintenance like this. I stand by my position that I feel the "every other OCI" recommendation is sound, but one can't really be blamed for going ahead and changing it every time. Personally I do like getting that extra little bit of oil out of the system by removing the filter, and if it's coming off anyway, I guess you might as well put a new one on.

·
Registered
877 Posts
FLCivic - Not sure if you've seen my oil analyses on running synthetics up to 16.3k in my 06 Civic SI, but I was running a Purolator PureOne PL14610 during each of those runs.

Bottom line - Today's more quality filters can handle 15k intervals, as they are demanded to do on my OEM applications that the same filter is spec'd for...(I.e. a Mini Cooper S, almost any lux line of autos, etc.)

Oil filters are taxed more as the mileage on the existing oil goes up. Oil naturally suspends alot of dirt in itself, and as mileage accumulates the filter is taxed more to filter more and more dirt out. No big deal.

The good news is that if you are running 5-7k intervals, you should feel comfortable with leaving a high-end filter installed. Yes, it's got some dirt in it at that point. Yes, it's got .3 quarts of old oil in it. If that bothers you, then change it. Otherwise, leave it on for at least 10k.

Just my .02

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
JoeFromPA- I think you're correct, along with rationull. I'm sure there are folks that are doing 3k/3month intervals with late model cars... just because. I agree, two oil %meter changes comes out to about 12-15k, which is one "extended interval". I also feel these Hondas are very tight, clean engines internally. It's amazing that at 5k the oil looks like it's only a few days old. These are by far not diesels, or hard working trucks. I think Honda's recommendation might be spot on. And from a $$$ point of view, I really rather not waste my money. I don't change my brake pads when they're at 50% life just for cheap insurance... Filters are no different.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts