8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I understand that you shouldn't change the factory filled oil 'till about 5k-7.5k miles. I'm just curious to see if anyone has changed just the oil filter prior to this mark and top off with dino oil?

I'm thinking it's a pretty good idea to empty any tiny metal shavings/debris that might be released during the break-in process. I plan on doing this @ 2k miles.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I understand that you shouldn't change the factory filled oil 'till about 5k-7.5k miles. I'm just curious to see if anyone has changed just the oil filter prior to this mark and top off with dino oil?

I'm thinking it's a pretty good idea to empty any tiny metal shavings/debris that might be released during the break-in process. I plan on doing this @ 2k miles.
I did a full oil change (incl. filter) at 3500 mi. My MM was at 60% if I remember correctly.

Why just do a half oil change and filter change when you could do a full oil change?

From what I understand, the engine block isn't prone to a lot of shavings and such, but I guess debris is always *some* possibility.

I'd just wait until you want to do a full oil change.

·
Registered
6,717 Posts
omg another oil thread...

·
Registered
252 Posts
Just did my 1st oil change at ~3600 mi as well. Included Mobile 1, 5W-20 & a new Honda OEM filter too. It can't hurt it in my opinion.

I have a family of mechanics (in-laws, uncles, my father, friends) that all will tell you to change your oil at the 3500-4000 mi interval. And they all have the 100k plus miles cars that run perfect to back it up. I'm not trying to spur the old argument - a search will find dozens of posts pro and con to this.

The best way you can think of an early oil change is preventative maintenance (PM). If you change it early then you've done PM. If you do it on the MFG recommended schedule then its just maintenance. Exposure to large machines and other equipment has shown me that PM will always make your investment last longer and run better than just basic maintenance. So it really comes down to what side of the fence you are on IMHO. There are other factors too including usage and duty cycles but I won't get into that here.
-W

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
i would just do what honda recommends. they're there for a reason, not just as a guesstimate.

when i did my first oil change, i honestly didn't see too many shavings. since i didnt see any floating on top, i had to screen my oil and even then, not that much metal.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm not sure I understand? Can you tell me the page in the owners manual that says this and states you should not change it sooner? Thanks. :popcorn:
No I can't. But common knowledge says not to change the oil too soon. There is some type of break-in additive with the factory fill.

·
Registered
6,954 Posts

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
No I can't. But common knowledge says not to change the oil too soon. There is some type of break-in additive with the factory fill.
I understand there is a break in additive. However, it does not say how long the additive lasts or needs to work before it is no longer necessary to be in the oil. I'm just saying that it probably doesn't take any where near 5000-7500 miles to completely break in the engine, and I wanted to put synthetic in my engine. I figured, the sooner the better, and put it in at 3500 miles. I'm sure you can replace the filter early, at best you'll clean out any additional oil shavings (if any), and at worst you'll be out a few dollars. Same opinion on the oil. :thumb:

·
Registered
6,717 Posts
I use the Hamp Filters.. The little Green ones..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts