8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so after running my engine for a good 40 minutes of running errands. i turn my car off. and check the dipstick. the whole thing has oil over it. both dots have oil on them. i changed my own oil at the last change (about 2k miles ago at 13.5k miles right now with mobil 1 10W-30) and i also changed the filter (honda oem filter). i've noticed that sometimes 2nd gear cuts off at around 7900 RPM and like 53 mph. i'm wondering whether the oil level is causing this... orrrr...i also have an injen cai and the maf wire is 3-4 mm away from something (don't know what it is, seems to be a part of the tranny). maybe that wire touches that part and causes the car to bounce early. i dno. any ideas?

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
A few things I can think of...
1. TOO MUCH OIL.
2. did you wait for the oil to settle a bit after driving the car?
3. did you wipe the dipstick before reinserting it? (don't take it as a flame, seen it happen)

I've also seen too much oil cause rev issues as well.

Always check the dipstick as you add oil so you know where you are at. Don't add oil based on X number of quarts. Just because you drained it doesn't mean there isn't oil remaining throughout the engine.

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
i dont think he waited for the oil to settle... otherwise there would be no spatter on the stick..

just wait a few mins after driving to check ur stick

·
Kansas Chainsaw Massacre
6,296 Posts
if you choose not to wait to check the dipstick, then wipe it off and then check it.

have you ever turned your engine on with your valve cap off? little flecks of oil are going to fly all over. with all that action in your engine, and heat, and everything else at work, the dipstick is going to be coated.

4.5 qts for an Si is absolutely NOT too much. I believe it calls for what, 4.6? I seem to be able to put 5 quarts in without an issue.

·
Purpul Plane 4ever!
40,686 Posts
4.6 for the Si is correct. Right after I changed mine it looked like there was barely anything over the lower dot but its just from the fresh yellowish color of the Mobil one.

What do you mean by 2nd just cuts off?? the car turns off???

·
Registered
319 Posts
I think th wire you are talking about is the transmission speed sensor . . . I almost cut it installing my CAI. Not sure why 2nd is bouncing though.

And the car will take an entire 5 quart jug and not go over the full line. My car (even after 40k miles) still eats oil at a fair rate, but I think that is more due to me driving like a hooligan.

·
Kansas Chainsaw Massacre
6,296 Posts
I think th wire you are talking about is the transmission speed sensor . . . I almost cut it installing my CAI. Not sure why 2nd is bouncing though.

And the car will take an entire 5 quart jug and not go over the full line. My car (even after 40k miles) still eats oil at a fair rate, but I think that is more due to me driving like a hooligan.

what kind of oil are you using? my oil consumption is almost nil.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Idk, at my first oil change, I took 5 quarts to my mechanic expecting to get about 1/2qt left over. He put in all 5qt's. I went home, let the car sit for about 30min and then checked the oil. It was almost 1/4" above the full marker/hole on the dip stick. Maybe he didn't drain it all to begin with? Idk. Now, I just add 4qt's at my oil changes. I'll drive a LITTLE bit. Let the car sit. Then, I add the remaining oil, until it reaches the full mark...

·
Registered
61 Posts
If it helps, I had a mysterious oil leak for the first several months I had the car. I kept arguing with the idiot at the dealer. It was "consuming" about a quart and a half every 3k miles. He insisted it was normal for the Si engine and I must be driving it hard. There was no oil on the ground, etc.

After letter and phone calls with Honda, another dealer did an oil consumption test three or four times. They said it was normal, too. But I still didn't believe them. They finally found a leak in the engine (valve cover, I think?), fixed it under warranty and guess what? No matter how I drive the car, the oil level is fine.

It was disappointing that the car had this defect and that it took SO long to get it fixed. You expect more from Honda.

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
If the manual say 4.6 and Honda says 4.6, and the dealer says 4.6, then it must be 4.6, it's better to be a little lower on oil than to have too much

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
I changed my oil over 3000 miles ago and I made sure it was empty. It was on a leveled lift and we just chilled there waiting for it to all drain out. I added 4.5 quarts and checked it. If dot to dot equals 1 quart, it appears that I am 1 quart over. The car seems to run fine. Am I getting a bogus reading or what? What are the dangers involved having too much oil?

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
I changed my oil over 3000 miles ago and I made sure it was empty. It was on a leveled lift and we just chilled there waiting for it to all drain out. I added 4.5 quarts and checked it. If dot to dot equals 1 quart, it appears that I am 1 quart over. The car seems to run fine. Am I getting a bogus reading or what? What are the dangers involved having too much oil?
The only likely problem is reduced fuel mileage, and possible slower cranking particularly when cold. With the amount you say you are over this will most likely be the only affect (if any).

In more extreme cases there is also the possibility of the oil getting whipped up more than normal by the crankshaft causing foaming and air to be pumped through the system reducing lubrication. Also, there can be increased stress on the crankshaft due to it having to spin through the excess oil, again particularly when cold.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Isn't the oil level supposed to be checked when the car is cold?
The engine doesn't have to be cold. It can be checked warm/hot. However, it shouldn't be checked while running, or imediately after shutting the engine off. Shut the engine off and let it sit (on level ground) for a couple minutes for the oil to drain back to the pan from the rest of the engine. This will also allow time for splashed oil to drain out of the dipstick tube, giving a better reading.

Pull the dipstick out and wipe it off. Put the dipstick back and wait a few seconds. Then pull the dipstick back out and take your reading. If you don't trust the reading put the stick back and wait a minute or two. Then take the stick back out and take your reading again. It is important that the car be parked on level ground.

When changing oil it is usually better to add a little less than it should take and check it. Then top it off accordingly. There are a lot of factors that can affect how much oil you get out of the engine when changing the oil.

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
Oil should be checked cold after all the oil has settled. If you check it right after it's been running, the oil is all over inside the engine and you wont get a true reading until all the oil drips and settles to the bottom.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts