8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

Just got the oil changed in the Civic today. 5000 miles on it. The dealer put on the sticker to get it changed when it gets to 15%. What is everyones take on that? I have always changed my vehciles oil at 3000 miles or 3 months. In my case it is always 3000 miles.

Thanks,

Caz :driving:

·
ID10T
445 Posts
I would just bring the car in for service when the oil life monitor reads 15% of oil life remaining. From what I understand the oil monitoring system is pretty advanced. I guess it can sample the oil and test it for several things, indicating how well it is able to lubricate your engine. With today's engine technology and better oils, it is most likely a waste to change it at 3,000 miles.

·
Registered
18 Posts
With good quality filters (that includes the air filter) and good quality synthetic oil, there is absolutely no need to change oil every 3,000 miles. That's pure oil company propaganda. Do you really think the car manufacturers would recommend oil changes a much higher mileage intervals if it would be harmful to their engines - thus their reputation. With the right quality products, the only variable is how the car is used. For instance, if the miles are all highway with a minimum of stop & go, your oil can be used for many more miles than if your driving is all city. You can also learn a lesson from the truckers. You can buy systems that almost eliminate conventional oil changes by using a super efficient, multiple filtering system and routine oil analysis. Might cost you $150-$200 (if you install it yourself), but if you really want to provide maximum protection for your engine, it might be it's worth it. With close-tolerance, high-tech engines like Honda's, there's almost no practical limit to how many miles they will run if they are not routinely abused (over-revved, lugged, etc.) and you keep them clean and properly lubricated

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey all,

I just got off the phone with one of the tech's at my Honda dealer. He said to go by the gauge on the dash and get it changed by 15% and not to worry about the mileage. I was just concerned about the new way of doing things. I use to be an automechanic and just wanted to double check.

Thanks all!

Caz

·
Registered
342 Posts
Shemmy said:
I would just bring the car in for service when the oil life monitor reads 15% of oil life remaining. From what I understand the oil monitoring system is pretty advanced. I guess it can sample the oil and test it for several things, indicating how well it is able to lubricate your engine. With today's engine technology and better oils, it is most likely a waste to change it at 3,000 miles.
Actually the oil life monitor uses data from the engine's computer management system to determine what kind of driving you are doing. It measures total miles driven verses hours of operation (to determine if you are driving city or highway miles). It also compares the number of cold starts to the miles driven to determine if you are taking long trips or short.

Car manufacturers have said for years that you could go up to 6000 miles between oil changes under ideal driving conditions (all highway and trips over twenty miles). Then the manual would state for severe conditions (mostly short trips, dusty areas, ect...) change the oil at 3000 miles. Since most people don't drive exclusively highway miles we all adopted the better safe than sorry aproach and changed our oil at 3000.

Now the oil life monitor changes all that because it knows exactly what kind of driving you are doing. I have one on my other car (99 Intrigue) and it does work the way it is supposed to although it doesn't give you the percent, it just lights a change oil light. Normally with the type of driving I use that car for the light comes on after around 4000 miles (I live only 6 miles from work so it gets mostly short trips). But when we drove it to Florida on vacation we put on 3900 miles in ten days and the oil life monitor let it go to 6800 miles. :thumb:

·
Registered
518 Posts
Speaking of oil, when i was 17 my sister kept saying she needed oil in her car.
i asked to drive it once, and she said only if i put in oil..
Well i dumped awhole quart of oil into the tranny fluid spot.
oPPs!!!
How dumb/bad is that?
She sold the car a few weeks later, so she never found out- but i bet the next buyer did....

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
i do it every 5000 miles. 3000 is too soon unless you race your car on the track occasionally. Plus you pollute more when you do more frequent oil changes.

Honda DOES not have a computer that analyzes oil like someone said. It simply goes by mileage. To analyze oil, the engine compartment would have to have a lab of small mice to do it and be able to report it..lol

If you use syn or regular, oil changes should still be at the same interval. People have the wrong impression of being able to use it longer. If you happen to use syn after 5k miles, and its still clean - using regular oil would most likely show the same results.

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
DeezV604 said:
Speaking of oil, when i was 17 my sister kept saying she needed oil in her car.
i asked to drive it once, and she said only if i put in oil..
Well i dumped awhole quart of oil into the tranny fluid spot.
oPPs!!!
How dumb/bad is that?
She sold the car a few weeks later, so she never found out- but i bet the next buyer did....
if it was a manual transmission, I believe its fine for a VERY short amount of time until you can purchase manual transmission fluid.

For AT's.. i wouldn't recommend it.

I usually carry 1 bottle of oil and 1 bottle of trans fluid... along with a 10mm, 12mm wrench and socket - and 2 road flares

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have an '05 BMW 325i which calls for synthetic oil changes every 15000 miles.

The days of 3000 mile changes are well in the past. Besides - it's always good to not use more oil than you need - it's patriotic!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Does anyone change there oil them selves

Was wondering if anyone has changed there oil in the honda civic sedan ex 2006 themselves.....does the computer change back to 100 % after you do it yourselves.???

·
Registered
730 Posts
There is a reset to the oil system. Check the manual. It’s usually a reset switch or button or something like that (haven’t done one on my si yet) but it WILL NOT do it by its self. Check the manual. Im guessing its something simple.

Coming from an oil changing monkey like my self the 3000 mile thing is just to get you to come in every so often so you can locate a problem. It’s not like we invent problems but it’s just so we get the chance of finding them sooner rather than later. 5k-6k is pretty average but up to 9k isn’t unheard of.

There are lots of factors that determine frequency of changes. EX: racing, synthetic vs. reg., driving conditions, time since last change, age of vehicle, and possible pre. existing problems,.

As to the synthetics vs. regular. Synthetics are great for anyone doing any type of aggressive driving or engine modifications. Regular would probley do fine but hell it’s like 5 dollars more and what’s that on top of what you’ve already spent? JUST STICK TO ONE OR THE OTHER. Switching can cause damage and possible leaks. Decide once!

If you use synthetics then use a filter made for synthetics.

Older cars can develop leaks around gaskets especially with the slippery synthetics so if you see leaks on you older ride (75k+) use a high mileage formula it works.

When you change the oil look for metal shaving in the drain. Also let it run after you change the oil for a minute and then shut down, check for leaks, and re-check levels (important step).

I know its alot of info but if it anwsers some questions thats all i care about.

·
Registered
342 Posts
DanH said:
I have an '05 BMW 325i which calls for synthetic oil changes every 15000 miles.

The days of 3000 mile changes are well in the past. Besides - it's always good to not use more oil than you need - it's patriotic!
My brother has a 2004 Corvette Z06. Not only does it call for synthetic it actually specifies Mobile 1 synthetic.

·
Registered
730 Posts
corvettes say it right there on the oil cap. they dont need just mobile 1 but but why not do what it asks for. a 60 dollar oil change ant that bad. also a special mobile 1 oil filter is required but thats the same with all syntetics. my corvette has the same thing on the cap.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts