8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! Well it's that time.....my first oil change for my civic. I have 4940km on my car, and it still says 40% oil life left. The service guy said for your first oil change you should wait till it gets to 15%. But i always thought cars should get a oil change at every 5000km. Can anybody explain this to me. Is it because it is a thin oil it can take more or the guy said it depends on how you drive. Any input???? Thanks!

·
Wegue Wegue
12,785 Posts
15%? try 5% or 0, you can go further too. It's just a reminder.

You should always check your oil, take the dip stick, wipe it, drop it in, pull out the stick, examine the viscosity of your oil, the colour, the smell. if you think it needs changing, change it.

Check it often, you need to know if you are burning oil, or losing oil. top it off if it's too low, worst thing to do is just rely on an automatic system to make you change your oil.

My first oil change was at 12,000km. New cars it's every 10,000km, or approx. 5,000 MILES. (6,213.97)

It all depends on how you drive your car too. Like I mentioned above, check your oil, if you think it needs changing, change it. Otherwise, just keep going. 10,000km is what my service meanual says. I'm almost at 40,000km and due for my 4th oil change, still have 15% on my maintenance minder. Check my oil every few fuel fills, it's all good.

My service guy told me when it hits 5% I should book an appointment, 0% is still fine.

·
Registered
4,584 Posts
I go when my % hits 15. The system is intelligent and drops your oil life depending on how you drive or dont drive for that matter as Adrian has stated.

Stick with the maintenance minder and you'll be fine. I had the same question about changing my oil every 5K as well, but the service manager @ the dealer I bought my car @ said to just follow the MM.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Well, my very first one I waited until my MM read 15% because I believe they added a additive into the oil to help with break-in.

I change my oil every 6000km's and usually it reads 30%, I just go with the old school method. I'm sure though you won't have a problem just following the MM, like Joseph said; it's a advance system.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Thanks guys!
Got 15k on my fg2 and have changed the oil already 5 times. !!!!! That's right 5, I change it when I get to 50 per cent. What we are talking about here is a filter and 5 qts. of oil the blood of the car. Change that stuff often your car will love you for it. Oh yea my friends own a service center that I can go to and put my car on the lift anytime I want and do it myself. hehe!
Also keep those tires at the proper air pressure and that will be on the inside of your door. (Not What's Written On The Tires!!!!)
Also change air filter arround every 4k. Just do it.:thumb:

·
Registered
54 Posts
I just went over 6000km (Oil life was 15%) and my Maint A code showed up on Tuesday driving home..this is will be my first service too....I am just going to go by my Service Minder for future services.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I heard a few people at the shop say that they use this kinda new breakin oil for honda new cars now. Myth or Real?
I've heard this from a couple of service advisers already. One on my 00 Si and now on tht 07. I still wonder if it is true. Maybe sometype of breakdown happens at a certain stage. I had mine changed due to low oil level at 4,500 miles. I didn't know it was low so I just had to make sure and had it changed.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Copied from the Honda Owner Link web site:

Why should I wait to change the oil the first time?

Your Honda engine was delivered with an oil that is specially formulated for new engines that have not yet developed their "natural" wear patterns and may contain minute particles from the manufacturing process.

American Honda strongly recommends this special oil be left in the engine long enough for these wear patterns to develop, usually until the first maintenance interval specified in your Owner's Manual, based on your specific driving conditions.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Got 15k on my fg2 and have changed the oil already 5 times. !!!!! That's right 5, I change it when I get to 50 per cent. What we are talking about here is a filter and 5 qts. of oil the blood of the car. Change that stuff often your car will love you for it. Oh yea my friends own a service center that I can go to and put my car on the lift anytime I want and do it myself. hehe!
Also keep those tires at the proper air pressure and that will be on the inside of your door. (Not What's Written On The Tires!!!!)
Also change air filter arround every 4k. Just do it.:thumb:
You must live in a really dusty area. I've never seen an air filter that needed changing after 4000k :)

·
Registered
593 Posts
just a heads up to those of you going to the dealer for your first oil change, if you look closely it says "Oil Change" where as the second service says "oil and filter change". If i were you id ask for a new filter with the first service as well. No point to have fresh oil and used filter.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.