8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi there im ready to do my first oil change on my 2010 honda civic dx-g. I was wondering if anyone can shed some light on what way to safely lift the car and prop it up high enough so that a 5 ft 10 195 lb guy like me could easily get underneath and perform the oil change. I figure I need about 20'' from floor to undercarriage of the car to comfortably work. I was looking at some race ramps or jack with jack stands but not sure. anyone with experience who can tell me the best way please reply it is greatly appreciated. thank you

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok that is what I would prefer but which ones do you use? I was looking at rhino ramps but they are only 6.5 inches high is that enough height to comfortably preform an oil change on a 2010 civic dx-g? The race ramps I was looking at aren’t much better at 7inches and are a hell of a lot more expensive

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok that is what I would prefer but which ones do you use? I was looking at rhino ramps but they are only 6.5 inches high is that enough height to comfortably preform an oil change on a 2010 civic dx-g? The race ramps I was looking at aren’t much better at 7inches and are a hell of a lot more expensive

·
Super Moderator
1,881 Posts
I'll take of pic of them next time I'm at my parents. I want to say I have those Rhino's ramps. You don't need a lot of space if you are just changing the oil. What I use are folded up cardboard boxes and/or those old looking carpet/rags you can get a walmart. They are great for keeping you warm/dry. Anyway, regarding the clearance, If you are changing out the struts, then yeah, you need more space.

check out link:
https://www.8thcivic.com/forums/diy-honda-civic-engine/151652-diy-cvt-transmission-fluid-change.html#post5250736

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok . right now im just doing an oil change but maybe want to do more work in the future. how would i get more height? buy a hydro jack that lifts high enough and jackstands that extend up high enough is the only way?

·
Registered
11 Posts
As mentioned above, best and safest way is to lift with a jack and then reinforce with jack stand so u can move the jack out the way. Drive-up ramps are also a huge convieince and eliminate the need for a jack or jack stands, but they're always great to have regardless.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
4 Participants
Sb_33
8th Generation Honda Civic Forum
We’re a community for 8th Gen 2006 - 2011 Civic owners to discuss performance mods, body kits, Si models, turbo kits and accessories. Come Join the club!
Full Forum Listing