8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so all of my oil changes have been done at honda except for the one i did this weekend. i took it to a local gas station because i didnt want to drive all the way to the dealership. well the thing is after it was done and i drove home it still says....oil life: 5% and the wrench is still lit up. whats wrong??

·
Registered
10,259 Posts
so all of my oil changes have been done at honda except for the one i did this weekend. i took it to a local gas station because i didnt want to drive all the way to the dealership. well the thing is after it was done and i drove home it still says....oil life: 5% and the wrench is still lit up. whats wrong??
they put old, used oil in.

·
Registered
340 Posts
the station didn't know how to reset the oil viscocity back to 100% (which doesn't actually measure it, but just does a estimate based on the mileage since it was last changed) and the wrench is a service reminder that also has to be reset in order to dissapear. I personally don't know how to do this, but maybe one of the techs here do. The lights just need to be reset, your car is totally fine mechanically.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Wow.. he's asking seriously, don't confuse him.

The Maintenance Minder for Oil Life just needs to be reset.
There's no sensor that detects how good your oil is or anything.
It is just an estimate based on mileage, so it has no idea you changed your oil until you tell it you did.

The dealership always does this for you, but it's quite probable that your "gas station" didn't know that this needed to be done after the oil change.

To reset the oil life to 100%: (right out of the manual)
1. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position.
2. Press the SEL/RESET button repeatedly until the engine oil life is displayed.
3. Press the SEL/RESET button for about 10 seconds. The engine oil life and the maintenance item code will blink.
4. Press the SEL/RESET button for more than 5 seconds. The maintenace item code will disappear and the engine oil life will reset to 100%.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts

It is just an estimate based on mileage, so it has no idea you changed your oil until you tell it you did.

The dealership always does this for you, but it's quite probable that your "gas station" didn't know that this needed to be done after the oil change.

2. Press the SEL/RESET button repeatedly until the engine oil life is displayed.
3. Press the SEL/RESET button for about 10 seconds. The engine oil life and the maintenance item code will blink.
4. Press the SEL/RESET button for more than 5 seconds. The maintenace item code will disappear and the engine oil life will reset to 100%.
your no fun =P

·
Registered
10,957 Posts
Not a joke. not at all. Many cheap-o places will use recyled oil or worse yet just not even change the oil. :xyxnervou

I've seen them pop the hood wipe off the filer cap and close the hood. Job complete!

Pela 6000 look it up. Less than 20 minutes to change my own oil and I know it's done correctly!

·
Registered
3,839 Posts

ROFL! i didnt know u can reset urself! my oil thing is at -1058 Miles
i ignored it for the pass 6k miles
i got my oil change done at a local shop

Local Shop > Dealers

imo dealers rip u off for everything

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
OP, do a search. seriously. there are those people on this forum that are just ignorant and will do nothing to help you but rather use u as their amusement at ur expense.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts

he is absolutely correct; i always reset mine myself.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts