8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

521 - 536 of 536 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Anyone try changing the oil through the dipstick? My plug got stripped but is not leaking and I don't want to risk having it stripped again by undoing the drain plug.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Had to stick a screwdriver through the filter the first time to get it off. Would not budge using some good, sticky work gloves. Next oil change, I will either get a good filter wrench or a filter with a nut on the end of it. Props though for making any spill of the filter easy to clean.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Loosened the wrong plug.

Does anyone know what the bolt immediately next to the oil drain plug drains? I was working by feel and I loosened it, but then realized that it was the wrong one. Tightened it back up but didn't torque it enough since it leaked some type of oil.

The left most one is the oil drain. The one to the right is the one I messed up and loosened.

Otherwise, everything went well.

·
Registered
60 Posts
i'll say this: get yourself a Form-A-Funnel. helps so much to reduce mess by letting you direct the dirty oil coming out of the filter out over the control arm.

red circle is the filter mount for reference

·
Registered
60 Posts
i'll say this: get yourself a Form-A-Funnel. helps so much to reduce mess by letting you direct the dirty oil coming out of the filter out over the control arm.

red circle is the filter mount for reference

·
Registered
1 Posts
so what should I do? the thing just don't want to come out :(
I bought everything to get my oil changed
I have the same problem - tried all kinds of wrenches. Took it to a local gas station mechanic, he got it up on the lift but had no luck either with the wrenches (even tried a pipe wrench!)
Someone suggested welding a nut to the bolt head and trying again (bolt head has been worked over pretty bad now!!)
How did you finally get it out of there!! (Assuming that you did - yes I realize that's 13 years ago now, but I really need to know!)

521 - 536 of 536 Posts