8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

481 - 500 of 539 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
I've seen oil catch fire on motors a few times. Had a customer come to my job once because she lost her oil cap. She then had the bright idea of driving the same car with out one on and when she opened the hood to put the new one on she had oil all over the exhaust manifold and caught fire pretty bad.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
202 Posts
this guy decided he didnt need a funnel to add transmission fluid thru the dip stick tube. he tried to pour 2qts thru the tube while holding the bottle over the running engine. needless to say he missed. he got oil all over the place and had huge clouds of smoke coming out of the engine bay. keep in mind i gave him a funnel to use. couldn't help but just shake my head and hope he didnt catch himself on fire.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

·
Registered
7,416 Posts
this guy decided he didnt need a funnel to add transmission fluid thru the dip stick tube. he tried to pour 2qts thru the tube while holding the bottle over the running engine. needless to say he missed. he got oil all over the place and had huge clouds of smoke coming out of the engine bay. keep in mind i gave him a funnel to use. couldn't help but just shake my head and hope he didnt catch himself on fire.

[URL=http://img600.imageshack.us/img600/8548/photo9if.jpg]image
[/URL]

[URL=http://imageshack.us/scaled/thumb/802/photo8rx.jpg]image
[/URL]
I would of hoped he caught on fire. People that stupid are wasting air.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Thanks. I will change it out tomorrow. Would you recommend changing the oil filter out too? Its brand new also.

I personally would change it. The viscosity will be different at a normal operating temperature for the engine, that's what the 30 stand for. It shouldn't do any harm or anything but I personally would chnage it out when you have time.

Motor Oil Viscosity Grades Explained in Layman's Terms
Is it bad to use 5w30 synthetic instead of 5w20 synthetic for a 4 cylinder Honda

·
Registered
165 Posts

[URL=http://img600.imageshack.us/img600/8548/photo9if.jpg]image
[/URL]

[URL=http://imageshack.us/scaled/thumb/802/photo8rx.jpg]image
[/URL]
I had something very similar at my shop. A guy did not accept our diagnoses of a bad fuel pump and was convinced his Chrysler minivan only needed starting fluid to turn over. He spent an hour In our parking lot and 3 cans of starter fluid later his van was on fire. Excess fluid from the three cans pooled under his van, the combustion chamber FINALY detonated the fluid and blew apart the the TB, IM....then there was fire............everywhere.

At that moment I had never been so horrified.....yet so satisfied hahahah

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
165 Posts
Thanks. I will change it out tomorrow. Would you recommend changing the oil filter out too? Its brand new also.
Yes it's a good idea to change the filter when your redoing the oil, I know it's brand new but the filter is still going to be filled with a good amount of 5w30 oil if you don't change it. Besides Mobil1 filters are only $10, should be Mobile1 extended performance filter # M110

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
7,416 Posts
I really wouldn't worry about it too much, but if you want to change it for peace of mine that's up to you.

People put 5w30 instead of 5w20 all the time on purpose.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I wouldnt personally change the filter, maybe take it off and pour it and place it back on, then by the time you change it again most of the 30 oil should be out. Just dont worry about

·
Registered
32 Posts
Nice. Been meaning to learn how to do it myself but never take the time to do it. Definitely gonna start buying synthetic and getting the job done myself. Thanks for posting.

481 - 500 of 539 Posts