8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 536 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
ok here you go, i did an oil change over the weekend with a friend, didnt take many pictures but its actually a lot easier to do than the dealers and jiffy lube would like you to think.

What you will need:
4 quarts of 5W20 oil
Honda oil filter or equivalent from local parts store
Drain plug crush ring from dealer or parts store
17mm wrench to remove oil pan drain plug
oil catch pan
oil filter wrench
Papertowels
Rubber gloves (optional)

This is best done when the car is somewhat warm

1. Get your car up in the air (use your method of choice here, car lift, ramps, or jack and jack stands (DO NOT GET UNDER THE CAR WITHOUT PUTTING ON THE PARKING BRAKE AND USING JACK STANDS!) my friends dad has a shop so we used a lift, normally i would use ramps in my driveway.

2. Pop your hood and open the oil cap on the top of the engine, this allows the oil to drain more easily.

The blue thing is your filter, honda actualy molded Engine Oil into the bottom of the pan and ive circled the drain plug bolt

from the back
Under the car, position the catch pan under the drain plug, the oil will shoot out a bit so make sure theres plenty of room. At this point i like to make sure the paper towels are handy and i have a rubber glove on. use the wrench to loosen the drain plug so you can remove it by hand. the oil will start to drip as you remove it. Since the oil temp can be hot i like to have the glove on so i can quickly get the hot oil off my hand.

4. use the oil filter wrench to loosen the oil filter and then remove it by hand. it will drip on you as you remove it so be ready for that.

5. dip a finger in the old oil in the catch pan and run it around the rubber gasket to moisten it and make a better seal, put on the new filter by hand and then give it about a 1/4 turn with the wrench, do not over tighten the filter, the threads could strip.

6. Remove the old crush washer from the drain plug and put the new one on, re-install the plug with the 17mm wrench, this one you can tighten up because you are crushing the aluminum ring slightly to create a seal.

7. Pour the new oil into the top, i suggest using a funnel to make it easier. The car states that it takes 3.9 quarts of oil, so you can safely put all 4 quarts into the engine.

8. Run the engine and make sure that the oil light goes out, check the dipstick to make sure the oil is at the appropriate level. check for leaks under the car.

Resetting the Oil Life Meter:
9. Press the sel/reset button untill the oil life monitor comes up, hold the sel/reset button for 10 seconds, the oil life will start to blink, press and hold the sel/reset button for 5 seconds to reset the monitor.

You're done, hope that helps

A Si Supplement:
http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/do-yourself-articles/164145-diy-supplement-si-oil-change-noob-style.html

·
Premium Member
19,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
did your car never have one? or you have just never replaced it

i was always taught to use one, some cars have rubber or plastic ones that dont need to be changed every time, but if its an aluminum one you should replace it since it can cause leaks if you dont.

·
Registered
407 Posts
ethlar said:
did your car never have one? or you have just never replaced it

i was always taught to use one, some cars have rubber or plastic ones that dont need to be changed every time, but if its an aluminum one you should replace it since it can cause leaks if you dont.
My last car didn't have one at all. I haven't changed the Honda's oil yet, though, so I don't know...

·
Registered
169 Posts
The service techs seem pretty anal about using the crush washers on the hondas. Every honda I've owned has always used the washer. You can buy a bunch at your local auto store.

My LX coupe (MT) had its first oil change this weekend. I dumped it early, like I have all new vehicles I've purchased. It had a thousand miles on it. Plenty of semi-high revs (4-5.5K), plenty of 80-90 mph on the highway, seemed like it was time to get it out of there.

But what's this 3.9 quarts stuff??? Granted, my car was plenty hot when I changed the oil, so the oil was very thin, plus the breakin oil is usually thin, and I let it drain till it was slowly dripping out, so I must have gotten all of it out of there. But at 4 quarts, it's showing up on the dipstick a little over half. Anyone seen this before? What are everyone's dipstick experiences?

·
Banned
6,166 Posts
taste said:
But what's this 3.9 quarts stuff??? Granted, my car was plenty hot when I changed the oil, so the oil was very thin, plus the breakin oil is usually thin, and I let it drain till it was slowly dripping out, so I must have gotten all of it out of there. But at 4 quarts, it's showing up on the dipstick a little over half. Anyone seen this before? What are everyone's dipstick experiences?
Maybe you have a leak, because my 2.8 litre(V6) GLI uses 5 1/2 qts. of oil. Or you need to recheck your dipstick.

·
Registered
127 Posts
its no oil leak..I had the same situation..my civic ex coupe takes 4.5 qts...I never add a drop between oil changes..just takes more oil than honda says in book...probably a misprint.
:driving:

·
Registered
54 Posts
I recognize from that plate that you are an Ohioan. What county is '76'?

1. Will I absolutely be screwed if I don't use a washer?

2. Maybe dumb question. Will changing my own oil screw with my warranty?

·
Premium Member
19,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Clinton70 said:
1. Will I absolutely be screwed if I don't use a washer?

2. Maybe dumb question. Will changing my own oil screw with my warranty?
1. not screwed, but potential for leaking, its only $.05-$.25 so why not change it.

2. as long as you can provide receipts for the oil and filter they cant void your warranty. (only in an extreme case would the dealer consider trying to void your warranty over an oil change)

·
Scrodums
9,486 Posts
Seemund said:
Another Thing, where can I buy the washers from ? :(
Autozone doesn't have it :( :( Honda is too farrrr
What kind of filter are you using? Generally they just either charge you an extra 20 cents or so for the washer when you buy the filter (or it's included it in the price).

1 - 20 of 536 Posts