8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 07 EX coupe. I checked the oil and ATF levels today, and notice that the oil is only about 5/6ths full on the dipstick, and the ATF was at the minimum point on its dipstick.

Is it normal for the oil level to gradually decrease between changes? Life is at about 70%. Car has ~22k miles.

What most surprised me was the ATF level...

In both cases, I turned the car on for about 90 seconds before checking levels.

·
Registered
10,957 Posts
ATF fluid should never decrease unless there is a leak. Ensure your on a flat ground and the car is fully warmed up.

Oil at 5/6ths is OK and could just be a faluty reading.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Someone I email back and forth with from another forum has a 2007 LX that was leaking both engine oil and ATF. He first noticed an issue when he performed an oil change and noticed fresh oil and ATF around the oil pan and transmission sealing surfaces. The dealer is going to take care of it as a warranty issue and, thankfully, his fluid levels never did get too low.

I know that you have an EX, but I wonder if there is an issue with gaskets or torque specs at the factory?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Weird. I never see any fluid on the ground under the car. When I checked both, like I said, I waited about 2 minutes for the car to warm up.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
did you inspect the bottom of the tranny.?
I have no idea how to do that.

Now that I think about it more, I think I may have just read the ATF wrong. I only added about... I dunno, 10 cap-fulls. The ATF holds 6.3qts from what I understand, so the minimal amount I added couldn't have been responsible for raising it from the minimum to the maximum level.

Now after checking it it shows up as slightly higher than max level. Is this a problem?

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Yes, all cars burn oil. If they aren't burning oil, then they're not running.

As long as the consumption isn't excessive you have nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
I have no idea how to do that.

Now that I think about it more, I think I may have just read the ATF wrong. I only added about... I dunno, 10 cap-fulls. The ATF holds 6.3qts from what I understand, so the minimal amount I added couldn't have been responsible for raising it from the minimum to the maximum level.

Now after checking it it shows up as slightly higher than max level. Is this a problem?
It isn't good to have the transmission over full. However, if it is only a little above full you are probably fine.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Weird. I never see any fluid on the ground under the car. When I checked both, like I said, I waited about 2 minutes for the car to warm up.
Two minutes is no where near enough time to warm up an automatic transmission for the purposes of checking the fluid level, especially if you simply had the car sitting in "Park".

1 - 11 of 11 Posts