8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Long story short.

My old friends grow up into your stereotype muscle car guy that bashes on civics and 4cycs.

Tonight I left them all in shock and awe of the Si. Earlier this evening I introduce my Si to them. They joke around about my "5-speed" Civic and how the Si had no torque with its tiny 2.0 engine.

So I offer them a quick ride to show them how the car feels.

I started off 2nd gear driving slowly. I turn my head over and say "Buckle up Bi*ches"

As I floor it my wheels spun then leading into a quick vtec and shifted to 3rd then to 4th. The guys were like :eek:hsnap: when I took on a slight deep curve at 65ish mph. The Si (completely stock) would not let the road go. The handling felt great.

Doing one last vtec and then slowing down and parking the car, the guys were like "Man that was insane... how can this be a civic?"

I have been waiting that moment for the last 2 years. Ever since my friend got his V6 Camaro all I been hearing him saying "Oh I beat this civic the other night"... or "Look at that ricer Honda over there"... or "4cyclinders are 4bangers".

Tonight it change his perspective on Honda.

-----

Yea not a great story or maybe I'm not a great story teller but we had alot of fun tonight.

"Test Driving" urghh... took place in a safe empty location with no one around. Please do not drive recklessly especially when there are others around and others with you. Drive Safe :wavey:

·
Registered
842 Posts
HAHA that's damn funny because I also had a friend with a V6 Camaro and damn that car is slow as ****. I think my R18 can beat that thing.

·
Registered
16,555 Posts
I Actually use to be like that. I drive an 08 si now. I guess you know by now that i no longer think that way. lol

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Lol, you should be laffing at him with his V6 Camaro.. That is pathetic, a muscle car that is V6

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ah yea, forgot to mention. Even the speed of how of fast the windows roll down surprise them as well.

I'll never get tired of that one.

·
Premium Member
5,966 Posts
DTNguyen107 said:
Ah yea, forgot to mention. Even the speed of how of fast the windows roll down surprise them as well.

I'll never get tired of that one.
^^ lol icing on the cake! nice story!!

·
Premium Member
19,589 Posts
OP, great post. I am 55 years old and grew up with the muscle cars. Have had a few myself such as a Camaro SS 350 and a couple of 427 Corvettes. The truth of the matter is that the Si is as fast as many of the classic muscle cars, save for the big block monsters.

For example, Car Life tested a '67 390 Mustang Fastback at 15.5 @ 91.4 mph.
A '70 Boss 302 a 0-60 of 6.5 seconds and a 14.9 quarter mile. Likewise, a '69 Z/28 Camaro ran a 14.9 as well. A '68 340 Barracuda ran a 7.1 0-60 and a 14.9 quarter mile. A 1973 455 Trans Am could only run the quarter in 15.0 flat and a 7.3 0-60 time.

The point is that the Si has performance on a level that equals or betters many of the average muscle cars of the era. Considering we are talking about a 2.0 liter 4 cylinder motor vs. a honking big V8, that is pretty good performance.

While the muscle cars were fast, the truth is that the cars of today and much faster. Note the Viper, Z06 and Mustang Cobra to name a few. It is amazing that a company like Honda can get so much peformance out of such a small motor. With a few mods, the Si can be as fast as most of the fastest muscle cars. The Si is a great performance bargain.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Me and my friends were into muscle cars when we were young. We all had Camaros, Mustangs, V-8 Trucks. 10 years ago. Now when I see even a new Mustang I think to myself that it's just a big heavy gas guzzler. If gas was 99 cents like it use to be I would probobly think differently.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
I have normal tires, I don't think anyone's spins. I think he is referring to when he shifts from 1st-2nd and get's the tires to chirp.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What year is everyone's Si?

They change the tires halfway last year I think or this year's model to Michelin.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
not to go off topic, but is it possible to redline 1st and shift to 2nd without chirping them? cause mine do it every time and it's probable because i'm not shifting right.

·
Registered
8,329 Posts
^ The way to NOT chirp tires when shifting at high rpms is to let off the clutch a little slower. Powershifting(keeping your foot on the gas while shifting) and Quick 'racing' shifts (the quick gas off & clutch in , shift, gas on & clutch out) will make them spin. It's all in the clutch.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Si Speed 317 said:
(the quick gas off & clutch in , shift, gas on & clutch out) will make them spin. It's all in the clutch.
ok, so basically if you want to accelerate fast theres no way around it? the above is the way i shift when taking it to high rpm (thats not bad for the car, is it?)

·
Registered
8,329 Posts
dnbsi said:
ok, so basically if you want to accelerate fast theres no way around it? the above is the way i shift when taking it to high rpm (thats not bad for the car, is it?)
Well, you can still accelerate fast, but when you shift at that 8k+ RPM, let off the clutch a little slower than usual, so the tires don't chirp. From what I understand, you'll get a better time (Track related :wavey: admins) because you don't lose traction but you're not accelerating any less. <-- can be debated, but not here.

As for it working your tranny, yes it does. You're slamming the gears together when they don't need to be. You'll have to change your clutch much sooner that way due to burn spots, as well as your transmission sooner than expected.
Play around with it and see what you come up with. That's what a bunch of people have done and that's how they figured what worked for them. :thumb:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts