8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new car... as you know.

I have a friend who wants to sell me their 2008 Si. It's a good friend, and she wants to get RID of it. You know what she's asking? 2008 with 9K miles... she wants only 16K. It's in perfect condition, driven smoothly, different color than my original.

I have the money, but I'm not sure if I honestly have the use since I have the RS4. I was thinking of buying it just for when I take trips and Autocross, but it's stock... so I would need to put about 1K in suspension and tire upgrades.

What do ya'll think of the price?

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Or just don't buy it? Spend money on your RS4 instead.
Besides an exhaust, the only real modification is an OVERPRICED 18K supercharger from MTM.

I love my RS4 but I'm not sure it would be the best AutoX car, since I do that a lot.

Plus I want to keep my RS4 as a collector's car for a very long time, and roadtrips are almost a monthly thing and add a lot of miles.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Besides an exhaust, the only real modification is an OVERPRICED 18K supercharger from MTM.

I love my RS4 but I'm not sure it would be the best AutoX car, since I do that a lot.

Plus I want to keep my RS4 as a collector's car for a very long time, and roadtrips are almost a monthly thing and add a lot of miles.
Well in that case your options (imo) are as follows:

Buy a project car for autox that you can use for roadtrips. This favors the autox part and not so much the reliability for roadtrips. But it's way cheaper and more fun because of the whole do it yourself part.

Or you get the Si but it would cost much more money but it would be more reliable for regular use.

Your choice. :cheerleader:

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well in that case your options (imo) are as follows:

Buy a project car for autox that you can use for roadtrips. This favors the autox part and not so much the reliability for roadtrips. But it's way cheaper and more fun because of the whole do it yourself part.

Or you get the Si but it would cost much more money but it would be more reliable for regular use.

Your choice. :cheerleader:
I was thinking about a project car... but it's not super comfortable for roadtrips.

If I got this thing for 16K I would just do HFP Suspension + tires + brakes.

The only reason I am re-thinking is because of the price. 16 grand, and it's privately, and I know the woman who drives it. She babies it, I'm pretty sure she hasn't hit VTEC ever. She's going to buy an EX, she made the wrong choice on the Si. Not the car for her.

·
Registered
572 Posts
sounds like you are "considering" to buy it b/c you feel like she's in a predicament and you want to help her out. well for one, that's really a good thing to do (esp. if you have the resources) but at the same time don't be "pressured" into it. if you really want it and desire another SI, then DO IT by all means. but if your having doubts, it might not be the best choice and later down the line you may even regret it and that would suck big time.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That is a great price for the si,if you can buy it.:thumb:
That's the only reason I would tempt myself to get another. I don't really miss it, but darn this thing chugs gas. I'm averaging about 15MPG with decent driving.

I was getting only 20MPG on the highway, compared to the 34 I was getting in the Si.

I would just use it for track days and trips, and at 16K I could sell it with 30K miles and still do pretty well.

The stock rims have a little bit of curb rash on them. I'm going to decide by the end of this month, it's just a tough decision.

·
Registered
525 Posts
this seems more of a question for your finances than anything else. look, unless you own your garage, and make **** tons of money, I would consider sticking it out with the rs4. sure, throwing yourself out of an airplane with a paper towel as parachute might be thrilling, it's going to hurt once you reach the ground. it'll be the same when/if the bills start piling up and you have to undersell one of the two...

if your finances are straight, then given what you do (mechanic... ect.) it seems like something that you'd buy purely because you derive pleasure out of it, plus the benefit of the DD, ect...
however, if it would put you in a precarious situation, i'd say **** it. especially now, given the economy.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.