8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
4501 - 4520 of 4537 Posts

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
I have done a lot. Finally install my new cosmis racing r1 in white and working on finishing up the the HFP rear lip. I have not posted pics in awhile due to not as much activity on this site like back awhile ago. once i get the lip on ill post like 1 or 2 pics. The civic has come aloooong way. Getting it ready for HOT Import Nights!!! Tint or Headliner coming next

·
Registered
787 Posts
Today wasn't a good day. I sanded the headlights today and clear coated them right away just to find out that both headlights cracked in the process. I don't know if it was either the cheap clear coat that I used or the way that I sanded them but they don't look good at all and I am now finding a replacement which really sucks now.

·
Super Moderator
2,447 Posts
I'm afraid to sand mine since I've "restored them" a number of times by now. What I use is Mother's Mag & Aluminum Polish ($5-6 at walmart) takes the haze/yellow off. After I'm satisfied (2-3 buffs with a rag), I proceed to apply NuFinish (seems to last longer than any carnuba wax out there). Of course, in several months time, you have to do it again, but sanding them is no doubt very harsh on the plastic. Because I have retros (they costs me $1K+ ten years ago), I'd rather not damage them even though I'd love a new, upgraded set. Try to get OEM, but that could be costly. I want to say they are $210 for each...... big money, although with my experience, most aftermarket lights suck, FMMV.

Good luck

·
Super Moderator
2,447 Posts
Jumped into the pool. This was probably the quickest (from decision to actually installing it). I still can't understand how I missed this after all these years.

Taking the deck off wasn't too bad. 1) Remove the bench seat, 2) then the side bolsters, 3) Remove C pillar interior trim (pain in the a** unless you have the appropriate tools and know how. Trying to snap it off with brute force will surely damage the piece. 4) remove deck: was relatively easy to snap off of the rear metal deck. Remember to unclip the brake light plug in the trunk. 5) Get the plastic deck and remove the red 3rd brake light assembly. This part was surprisingly easy to do, but I managed to snap one of the clips off of the old red colored len off. The clear lens LED assembly practically slid into place. The video I shared in another thread showed the guy wrestling with it, but it wasn't bad at all 6) I cleaned and applied some protectant (Meguiars natural shine dash protectant) on the plastic and next to the brake light where you normally can't reach. 7) put everything back together and plug it in.

Removing the C pillar interior trim pieces was the more difficult part.

The 2 assemblies were SLIGHTLY different. Slid and snapped into place. I did see the vents (likely for cooling), but b/c the brake light isn't always on, I won't worry about it.

Secured on.

Voila!

Looks classy.

The LEDs come on before the incandescent bulb. Certainly give the car a "refreshed" look to it.

At 305,000 miles, I'm still moddin', LOL.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Whoooooa car goes in for a custom headliner tomorrow. Getting ready for hot import nights. Let’s see if we can’t make the show

·
Registered
60 Posts
Jumped into the pool. This was probably the quickest (from decision to actually installing it). I still can't understand how I missed this after all these years.

Taking the deck off wasn't too bad. 1) Remove the bench seat, 2) then the side bolsters, 3) Remove C pillar interior trim (pain in the a** unless you have the appropriate tools and know how. Trying to snap it off with brute force will surely damage the piece. 4) remove deck: was relatively easy to snap off of the rear metal deck. Remember to unclip the brake light plug in the trunk. 5) Get the plastic deck and remove the red 3rd brake light assembly. This part was surprisingly easy to do, but I managed to snap one of the clips off of the old red colored len off. The clear lens LED assembly practically slid into place. The video I shared in another thread showed the guy wrestling with it, but it wasn't bad at all 6) I cleaned and applied some protectant (Meguiars natural shine dash protectant) on the plastic and next to the brake light where you normally can't reach. 7) put everything back together and plug it in.

Removing the C pillar interior trim pieces was the more difficult part.

The 2 assemblies were SLIGHTLY different. Slid and snapped into place. I did see the vents (likely for cooling), but b/c the brake light isn't always on, I won't worry about it.

Secured on.

Voila!

Looks classy.

The LEDs come on before the incandescent bulb. Certainly give the car a "refreshed" look to it.

At 305,000 miles, I'm still moddin', LOL.
that looks neat !

·
Super Moderator
2,447 Posts
Whoooooa car goes in for a custom headliner tomorrow. Getting ready for hot import nights. Let’s see if we can’t make the show
Different material? color? Let us know (pics) how it turns out! My headliner is sagging and starting to become annoying to me. I'd love to get swede, but most likely will get OEM-like material (same color).

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Different material? color? Let us know (pics) how it turns out! My headliner is sagging and starting to become annoying to me. I'd love to get swede, but most likely will get OEM-like material (same color).
Oh it’s a complete color change for sure. Not traditional black/tan/grey. My car is wild so color must pop I’ll leave it there. I’m sure you will be surprised. You don’t remember me but I remember you before you were a mod. I’ll make a video will not be done till Saturday. I’ll do a before and after video.

·
Super Moderator
2,447 Posts
Oh it’s a complete color change for sure. Not traditional black/tan/grey. My car is wild so color must pop I’ll leave it there. I’m sure you will be surprised. You don’t remember me but I remember you before you were a mod. I’ll make a video will not be done till Saturday. I’ll do a before and after video.
I remember you, but I don't remember any conversations we may have had. I hope I wasn't an a&&, If I was, I'm sorry. LOL. With my headliner, I'd love to get suede, but then that means I would have to get the sunvisors and sunroof cover redone as well. Also, I'd love to put some sort of sound deadening to the roof.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
I remember you, but I don't remember any conversations we may have had. I hope I wasn't an a&&, If I was, I'm sorry. LOL. With my headliner, I'd love to get suede, but then that means I would have to get the sunvisors and sunroof cover redone as well. Also, I'd love to put some sort of sound deadening to the roof.
I’m leaving the visors center light dark grey headliner will be different color. Remember if your not changing your doors side panels A-pillars it will be same color so it will be fine or you need to spray those peaces as well.

My a-pillers are custom carbon fiber anyways. You will see it I just shot before video I’ll do after once it’s done Saturday I’m excited for sure going to be Sick as F**k

·
Registered
787 Posts
I was bored today and figured I give the OEM headlights an attempt to "restore" then by trying to remove the lens off the housing. All I can say is i'm glad I gave it a shot because I want to order the replacement lens now and sell the aftermarkets on eBay because I already found 3 problems with it (fitment, large gap on fender, and high beam not aligned straight which is non adjustable).

·
Super Moderator
2,447 Posts
I was bored today and figured I give the OEM headlights an attempt to "restore" then by trying to remove the lens off the housing. All I can say is i'm glad I gave it a shot because I want to order the replacement lens now and sell the aftermarkets on eBay because I already found 3 problems with it (fitment, large gap on fender, and high beam not aligned straight which is non adjustable).
View attachment 244620 View attachment 244621 View attachment 244622
Look over at Aliexpress, I saw they have the clear lens. I haven't seen it anywhere else.

My bad video is unlocked now. So all can view now. Just scroll back up and watch
Wow, really cool, congrats!

·
Registered
787 Posts
Today I just layed the final stage of paint which is clear coat on my color matched grille project. Here are the results but it's not 100% dry :)

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
@FD7683 Paint look really good mate, great job. I actually bought a Red Pearl Habanero grill from e-bay, just so I can paint match when I respray the body, even though I have a color code... It's beat to hell though and needs re-painting. I'm feeling some confidence now to paint my own!

·
Registered
787 Posts
@FD7683 Paint look really good mate, great job. I actually bought a Red Pearl Habanero grill from e-bay, just so I can paint match when I respray the body, even though I have a color code... It's beat to hell though and needs re-painting. I'm feeling some confidence now to paint my own!
It's not hard at all! it all comes to prep and patience at the end. I actually went to school for auto body when I was in high school so I already had the experience with paint lol.

The real Si grille was around $200 with the base so I chose to spray my current one.

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
It's not hard at all! it all comes to prep and patience at the end. I actually went to school for auto body when I was in high school so I already had the experience with paint lol.

The real Si grille was around $200 with the base so I chose to spray my current one.
I was a commercial painter of sorts in the Navy. I was responsible for keeping the outside of the ship painted. So I have the theory of painting down, but automotive painting and marine paining are very dissimilar... On boats it's all about corrosion. Here I want it to look nice. Gotta convert my mindset.

4501 - 4520 of 4537 Posts