Registered
16,395 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts

·
Registered
980 Posts
Hello Florida folks! I have a question that I feel would be best answered by you.

I'm from PA and am planning to drive to FL in Sept. It's my understanding that Sept is "love bug" season. I was told to get some type of grill screen so they don't clog it all up.

My question is, is there a recommended product that I should use for this? I saw a universal bra style screen in Amazon. FIA VS302 Universal Bra Style Bug Screen by FIA

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
147 Posts
Love bugs are the devil. Such a mess/hassle.

You can try wrapping the front of the car ($$$), getting an OEM bra, hood deflector.. Def make sure you have the car detailed and good layer of wax first to avoid swirls and scratches from the bra.

Also, dryer sheets are your friend! Keep a box with you, wet em, and carefully wipe the bugs away, wash. Try to get them off your car within a day because they'll etch into the paint and rubber parts very easily.

One more thing, the love bugs typically are most active during dawn n dusk when it's coolest out. So if possible, stay away from highways during those hours and you may cut down on repainting your hood n grill with bug juice.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
16,395 Posts
^Good advice. A nice layer of wax would do a lot to help remove them later. Also I always keep a bottle of quick-detail spray and a microfibre towel in my car at all times, to remove those emergency bird presents or occasional bugs.

My area in Clearwater typically is not bad with love bugs. The high way and more rural areas tend to have greater populations of love bugs.

What part of Florida will you be staying in?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Also I always keep a bottle of quick-detail spray and a microfibre towel in my car at all times, to remove those emergency bird presents or occasional bugs.

What kind of quick-detail spray do you use? I'm waiting for father-time to allow me to clay bar/wax the Si since everything's got fresh paint still.. :pray:

·
Registered
980 Posts
Love bugs are the devil. Such a mess/hassle.

You can try wrapping the front of the car ($$$), getting an OEM bra, hood deflector.. Def make sure you have the car detailed and good layer of wax first to avoid swirls and scratches from the bra.

Also, dryer sheets are your friend! Keep a box with you, wet em, and carefully wipe the bugs away, wash. Try to get them off your car within a day because they'll etch into the paint and rubber parts very easily.

One more thing, the love bugs typically are most active during dawn n dusk when it's coolest out. So if possible, stay away from highways during those hours and you may cut down on repainting your hood n grill with bug juice.

Hope this helps.

Yes thank you very much. My paint isn't in great condition to begin with but I will try my best to not make it any worse. I was probably going to use that screen and tape parts of the car where the screen seems to rub the most.

^Good advice. A nice layer of wax would do a lot to help remove them later. Also I always keep a bottle of quick-detail spray and a microfibre towel in my car at all times, to remove those emergency bird presents or occasional bugs.

My area in Clearwater typically is not bad with love bugs. The high way and more rural areas tend to have greater populations of love bugs.

What part of Florida will you be staying in?
Sarasota/Bradenton

·
Registered
11 Posts
sweet! :woot:

Why weren't you at CNB5??? :readtherules:
Yes thank you very much. My paint isn't in great condition to begin with but I will try my best to not make it any worse. I was probably going to use that screen and tape parts of the car where the screen seems to rub the most.

Sarasota/Bradenton
That's my area :dance:

·
Registered
11 Posts
I feel you. Yeah that'd be a crazy ride on a Ruck... wow haha

Will you pop in at Winterfest? I'm going to make a thread on here for it as soon as the flyer is released
Ive done the ride before. Just need to get back into riding mode. My arms were hurting a bit just riding around town. Yea ill be at Winterfest for sure :wheee:

·
Registered
11 Posts
yeah I think so. Oh yeah, it is I remember for sure now. Sometimes we take the Skyway down and other times we ride out to Tampa and take RT 41 all the way down.

We gotta boost your Ruckus, bro :giggle:
If it was something simple, I'd already have it boosted. Big bore kit down the road sounds nice

3601 - 3620 of 3637 Posts