8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installed Silverstar Ultra hi & low beams in one of the Civics tonight. Been thinking about doing an HID PnP kit because the stock headlights are just so weak. Figured I'd try these out first. Glad I did - noticeable improvement over stock lights. Not as white/blue as HID's, but not as yellow as typical halogens either. BTW, Advance Auto has 2-packs of regular Silverstars on sale for $28 & 2-packs of Silverstar Ultra for $35. Don't know how long that sale is on.

The 1st pic is the 06 EX coupe on the left with newly installed Silverstar ultras, the 08 LX sedan with stock lights on the right. The 08 has 200 miles on it, so these are brand new stock headlights.

This next pic is both shining on the garage door. Silverstar Ultra on the right.

Doesn't look very different in the pics (should have taken off polarizing filter maybe), but in person they look very different. Looking at the 2nd picture at the far left & then comparing to the far right shows how yellow the stock lights are in comparison.

Went for a little ride down a dark road. Very noticeable difference & well worth the $75 to swap them out.

I do have a question though - what is the difference between the Silverstar and the Silverstar Ultra? The package information is very lacking on both products. The regular Silverstar said they were 4000°k & 1000 lumens. The Ultras didn't say squat for specs.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Have fun with those. I just put my stock bulbs back in tonight after having my right headlight burn out. It was a silverstar and it has only been in since the begining of summer. I was extra pissed becuase the only reason I got the silverstar is because I had a pair of hella bulbs and one of them went out after only a few months. I should have never bothered with them, although the silverstars are pretty good. Im going to try and exchange my old ones for new ones tomorrow, shouldnt be a problem for me.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I just went straight for the set of PIAA extreme whites i had setting in my shed for the low's, they deff owned stock, put my silver stars in the high beam though.

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
GE has a brand at walmarty that lasts super long. I cant remember the name of them - maybe Ill go look for them today.

·
Registered
484 Posts
i tried the silverstars in my 97 coupe after a year and having purchased a total of 2 sets i said no thanks to using them again

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Have fun with those. I just put my stock bulbs back in tonight after having my right headlight burn out. It was a silverstar and it has only been in since the begining of summer. I was extra pissed becuase the only reason I got the silverstar is because I had a pair of hella bulbs and one of them went out after only a few months. I should have never bothered with them, although the silverstars are pretty good. Im going to try and exchange my old ones for new ones tomorrow, shouldnt be a problem for me.
Same here. One of them was gone in 8 months.

·
Registered
7,438 Posts
We put them in my car and my dad's car a month or two ago, so that is 8 bulbs overall. I'll be sure to remark on their longevity should anything go awry.

My dad didn't really care to notice a difference (that and stock BMW bulbs are better than stock Honda bulbs IMO)

I noticed a pretty marked difference the first night I drove with them. The color was definitely whiter which is nice cosmetically but driving on a local neighborhood road that I frequent (has uneven pavement that has lots of rises and troughs, no streetlights, indistinct edges and dark colored pavement) and there was a noticable improvement in visibility.

As far as the daytime running lights, they were a little whiter but still pretty yellow. Another purely cosmetic thing that is kinda nice, when the lights are completely parked (ie the car is sitting there) the headlights look a litte whiter since there is no yellow haze like there is on the stock high beam bulbs.

Assuming they do last a long time they are definitely worth the cost IMO if you can get them on sale.

I got them with a rebate from Pep Boys and Sylvania. Surprise, Pep Boy is alreay tried to weasle out of giving me the rebate by claiming the ones I bought weren't included in the rebate (they blatantly advertised as part of the rebate) which reinforces my belief that Pep Boys is one of the most worthless chains in this country. I should have known better I guess (just look at the kinds of cars that are parked there on a daily basis) Advance is usually cheaper and I like them a lot but this time Pep Boys was. Next time I'll just give my business to Advance.

I think I'll be avoiding Pep Boys indefinitely from now on, unless maybe they have something much cheaper than the competition, rebates aside.

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
GE has a brand at walmarty that lasts super long. I cant remember the name of them - maybe Ill go look for them today.
GE Nighthawks. I bought them. Didnt notice any color or output difference. Half a year later i bought 5000k PNP so i didnt get to see how long the Nighthawks lasted.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Silverstars lasted an average of 5 months in my DC5. The light output was better than stock, though. After having to swap out a couple pairs of Silverstars, I went back to stock. I got real good at changing out headlights thanks to those bulbs! On my old Ranger, I had one pair of Silverstars last for years. Good luck with the longevity!

·
Registered
404 Posts
Silverstars lasted an average of 5 months in my DC5. The light output was better than stock, though. After having to swap out a couple pairs of Silverstars, I went back to stock. I got real good at changing out headlights thanks to those bulbs! On my old Ranger, I had one pair of Silverstars last for years. Good luck with the longevity!
Handling a halogen bulb with bare hands exposes the quartz to salts and oils in the hands and may cause a weak point. This will decrease the life of the bulb, and it is recommended that halogen bulbs be handled with gloves or cloth to prevent unnecessary contact, and wiped down if they are handled. This will decrease your bulbs longevity.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
1000 lumens = same as stock

i still don't understand why people think silverstars are brighter than stock

grrreat marketing i guess :dance:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts