8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the OEM amp output crossover the 8" sub?

Though not perfect, the stock system is pretty good, but could use a little more bass; so, I'm going to use a Basslink I have laying around until or if I ever install an aftermarket system. The Basslink has a high level input and if I can just remove the OEM 8" and use it's wires I'd have an easy install and be able to control it's level with the stock head still. Since the Basslink has an undefeatable xover, it would complicate things if the stock sub out is crossed over.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
well of course there is a cross over but im not sure if its in the amp or if its in line somewhere

·
Registered
158 Posts
It’s in the amp and it is run off the rear channels (summed). Actually the pioneer amp has eight output channels (only 7 are used in the Civic) so that each driver gets its own amp. The power output is 12watts/ch. The front door channels are rolled off and the highs are sent to the tweeters. The rear doors are full range and the subs are the subs. The amp uses active crossovers before the output amps. The amp also has (I believe 4uf) internal caps to protect the tweeters. I have the crossover points somewhere, if I find them I’ll post them.

If you want to install an aftermarket amp to replace the factory unit let me know. I can show you how to do it without cutting or splicing any factory wires. I would also consider not going with the basslink and going with an amp and sub. The basslink is not compatible with the factory HU. You can connect it to the speaker outs of the factory amp but ditching the factory amp is the best way to get SQ.

jeff

·
Registered
134 Posts
If I were you, I would just try it. Set the xover on the Basslink to its max freq (120Hz I think) and see how things blend. Mercman says the rear speakers play full range, so you could tap them as an alternative (but you might lose the HU sub level).

·
Registered
158 Posts
There is no HU sub level adjustment or feed from the factory HU. The rear L/R signals are split inside the factory amp and the sub fades with the rear channels. The rear doors get a full range feed and the sub (rear deck) gets only lows. The Basslink will work by connecting the speaker level input to the stock SW feed. The basslink won’t work if you try to build a system by replacing the factory amp. I would shy away from the basslink and invest in a sub and external amp. If you go with an amp with balanced differential inputs (JL, Rockford FG) you can connect it to the factory HU line outs for a really clean signal.

If you go with the Basslink and decide to add an amp for the main channels you won’t be able to include the BL in the new design. I can give you the technical details but believe me, I have been through this many times with the TSX guys (the TSX and Civic premium systems are the same with the exception of two subs for the TSX) and I know this system.

jeff

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
mercman said:
There is no HU sub level adjustment or feed from the factory HU. The rear L/R signals are split inside the factory amp and the sub fades with the rear channels. The rear doors get a full range feed and the sub (rear deck) gets only lows. The Basslink will work by connecting the speaker level input to the stock SW feed. The basslink won’t work if you try to build a system by replacing the factory amp. I would shy away from the basslink and invest in a sub and external amp. If you go with an amp with balanced differential inputs (JL, Rockford FG) you can connect it to the factory HU line outs for a really clean signal.

If you go with the Basslink and decide to add an amp for the main channels you won’t be able to include the BL in the new design. I can give you the technical details but believe me, I have been through this many times with the TSX guys (the TSX and Civic premium systems are the same with the exception of two subs for the TSX) and I know this system.

jeff
I read one of your posts about using an amp with balanced inputs, I'm interested in learning more

·
Registered
158 Posts
A balanced audio interface uses two signal wires to transmit the audio signal thru the cable. An unbalanced system (like the output of a car stereo deck or home CD player) uses one signal wire and a shield wire. The shield does not carrier any audio signal its job is to protect the audio carrying wire from noise and provide a ground reference for the amp. The shield wire can cause problems with ground loops and does not provide 100% noise shielding. A balanced system is superior and is used in pro audio and studios and also high end audio. In a balanced differential system the audio is sent down one wire and the other wire carries a mirror image of the signal (180 degrees out of phase or inverted), this is where the term differential comes from. When the signal hits the differential input circuit of the amp the inverted side is inverted again so that it is in phase with the original and then both signal are added together. So what advantage ids that? Well any noise picked up along the way will be picked up equally and in phase on the two signal wires. When the noise hits the amp input the noise on one wire is inverted and the added to the noise on the other wire. The net noise is zero. This is what makes a balanced system better then an unbalanced system in an electronically noisy car environment. This is why; if you do it right the factory deck is a great performer.

So, if you want to make a direct connection to the factory HU line outputs you need an amp with balanced differential inputs. Most of the TSX guys have gone with the JLs, and as I have said, the Rockford FG Punch and Power Series and one of the Kicker ZX multi-channel amps have differential inputs. Basically if an amp has them it will be clearly stated as it is a big +. I did built a few Balance to unbalanced adapters for the TSX guys so that they can use regular amps with the factory HU. If you try to use a regular amp connected directly to the factory HU it will squeal like a pig. I’m currently building a new design but it won’t be ready for a few more months. I do have a harness that will let you plug right in to the factory harness and wire up one of the recommended amps. I’m not sure if it would break any rules to post the link to it so I won’t for now. I hope to be able to post it for sale over here as soon as I’m eligible. The Civic guys that picked it up came over to the TSX site to buy it. Maybe I should not have said that.

jeff

1 - 7 of 7 Posts