8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed that an issue I've been having with my radio is more widespread than I thought so Im looking for some help with replacing my radio headunit with a compatible one. I had the same as many: flickering screen, popping noise, switching inputs, now my radio is almost unusable. I read that other people had success replacing their headunits and I am trying to do that.

The issue is that there seems to be a lot of models as well as faceplate codes on different 8th gen civics and some have premium audio with the external amp and some dont. My civic does have that and the exact part it has is the 39100-SVA-A21 which I can only find one for sale and its a bit more than I have at the moment. Can I use another model as long as its a premium audio unit with the external amp? Does the faceplate code (4PCA in this case) matter?

Ive think Ive done about as much research as I can and the dealer was no help so Im hoping to find someone knowledgeable here who can tell me if I can use another similar model.

Thanks

·
Registered
256 Posts
The simple answer is no you can't just use any replacement Head Unit.
Not sure, which models are interchangeable. but it sounds like you have the Premium system, (non-Navi), which has an external amplifier. If so the Head Unit from any 8th gen Premium Sound System (EX Coupe or Si's) should work.

The faceplate, bezel, is a separate part from the head unit. the part number you listed is the complete head-unit and bezel. If you have it apart/out the head-unit/radio should also have important information sticker with a a manufacturer either Pioneer or Clarion, and also a Honda part number.

The Premium system, vs the non premium amplified system, audio outputs R/L Front & R/L Rear go from the head-unit to an amplifier (Coupe located in the console ahead of shifter), which handles crossovers and separates sub-woofer with outputs R/L Front Doors, R/L Tweeters, R/L Rear plus Sub-Woofer.

If you go after market, and I'm talking Coupe model not sure is Sedan has the Sub-Woofer, you can go with an after-market, non Honda, check Crutchfield, and use an amplifier by-pass wiring harness but in this case you may loose the sub-woofer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The simple answer is no you can't just use any replacement Head Unit.
Not sure, which models are interchangeable. but it sounds like you have the Premium system, (non-Navi), which has an external amplifier. If so the Head Unit from any 8th gen Premium Sound System (EX Coupe or Si's) should work.

The faceplate, bezel, is a separate part from the head unit. the part number you listed is the complete head-unit and bezel. If you have it apart/out the head-unit/radio should also have important information sticker with a a manufacturer either Pioneer or Clarion, and also a Honda part number.

The Premium system, vs the non premium amplified system, audio outputs R/L Front & R/L Rear go from the head-unit to an amplifier (Coupe located in the console ahead of shifter), which handles crossovers and separates sub-woofer with outputs R/L Front Doors, R/L Tweeters, R/L Rear plus Sub-Woofer.

If you go after market, and I'm talking Coupe model not sure is Sedan has the Sub-Woofer, you can go with an after-market, non Honda, check Crutchfield, and use an amplifier by-pass wiring harness but in this case you may loose the sub-woofer.
I dont have it apart right now so im just going based off what my faceplate says and what hondas website says, which is the part number I listed, didnt realize that was the whole assembly. I guess im just unsure if 39100-SVA-A22 would work in mine, or if 39100-SVB-A21 would work? In the ebay listings I only see a honda part number and thats what im going off.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I went thru the same search debate and found many conflicting answers. Not the it helps, except to maybe confuse more, but here are a couple other numbers I came up with from different parts sellers:
Premium Audio Non-Navigation - Clarion (non navi) 39171-SVA-A13 (Rep. 39171-SVA-A11,39171-SVA-A12)
Others, 39100-SVA-A04, 39100-SNA-A030-M1, 39100-SVB-A11
2006-8 Civic EX Cpe. HU Premium (Clarion) - Honda Part No.:39171-SVA-A13
2006-8 Civic Si Cpe. HU Premium (Clarion) - Honda Part No.:39171-SVB-A13
2009-11 Civic Si Cpe. HU Premium (Clarion) - Honda Part No.:39171-SVB-A22
The only answer to be sure is pull it apart and verify before buying used based on someone's information.

I was/am looking for a replacement amplifier, but after looking found to several answers for that part also. I have not pulled mine out to look and verify, its a PITA to get it out of the console and naturally the part number is not visible.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.