8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

121 - 139 of 139 Posts

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
There is a 2 pin connector on the under dash fuse boxes side for the dome light. LT BLU & PNK are the 2 wire colors.... one of those is +12V.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Thanks guys. I ordered a bluetooth kit for my car so when I install that I will look at the stereo wires.

CraigW: I'm not sure what 2 pin connector you are referring to? Are you talking about where the fuses plug in?

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
Yes, one of the sides of the under-dash box. It is on this site under "adding additional lights to the dome circuit". It has pix of the box & connector shown.

I utilized it for the lights added to my 2010.

·
Registered
924 Posts
I am going to tie the glove box light into the 12V socket. It makes the most sense to me. I never use the 12V socket and it has its own fuse. I haven't got the light yet but I am going to get the wires in while I have the stereo out.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I am going to tie the glove box light into the 12V socket.
The issue with that is the power sockets are switched with the ignition*, as such the light would only have power when the ignition is set to run. The power used by the dome lights is already fused, conversely the Honda Options connector is another source of power - if you installed either the factor fogs, or factor ambient kit you have a plug, its just a matter of tying into it (in the case of the fogs) or adding a new pin (in the case of the ambient kit)#.

Tons of grounding options for your new light since the dashboard strut is exposed, also towards the centre stack there is a ground point used by the HVAC system which is easy to get to. Of course if you do use the power socket you can tie into its ground. So many ways to do it, depends on your preferances. :)

(*Euro models with the lighter option might have power at all times)

# Honda's oem fog kit includes a pig tail arrangement which allows a second options device (mirror, led lights) to plug in without any fuss, where as the plug for the ambient led kit does not and the cavity which connects to 12v constant is missing its metal pin (which is easy enough to add on).

·
Registered
924 Posts
That is a good point but I don't think it will be an issue. If I'm in the car the key is probably in the ignition. Our 05 Accords glove box light only comes on when the headlights are on. So this will be better. Plus I don't have any accessories plugged into the fuse box and don't care for the idea of adding wires directly to the cars main fuse box.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Got the light and put it in today. Boy are those screws a pain to put in. Got one all the way in and the other just started. Besides that it went right in and works great. A nice feature.

·
Super Moderator
2,147 Posts
Seems easy enough to do. I got the Light kit a long time ago, but with other mods, it's been shelved for lack of time............ :(

·
Registered
924 Posts
One thing I noticed was that a lot of the light is covered up by the plastic from the dash. It still lights up the glove box but doesn't seem ideal. I also put a LED light in that I had left over from when I replaced the trunk bulb. I bet it gives you twice the light and the light is actually white instead of that gross yellow.

·
Super Moderator
2,147 Posts
One thing I noticed was that a lot of the light is covered up by the plastic from the dash. It still lights up the glove box but doesn't seem ideal. I also put a LED light in that I had left over from when I replaced the trunk bulb. I bet it gives you twice the light and the light is actually white instead of that gross yellow.
Yellow is fine, it's better than what I have now (nothing), LOL.

·
Registered
924 Posts
I got my light from the junkyard so I was able to get the connector with it. That makes it so much easier! Don't have to try and find pins and do all that stuff. Just solder the two wires together and go.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Quick FYI.....the two pin connector for the glove box light is very common. It is used on the taillight on the 8th gen Civics (the light on the trunk itself) and is even used on one of the taillights in my 98 Accord. So, I'd recommend just heading to a salvage yard and snip it off an old car. I'd bet that same connector (04321-SH2-307) is used on many different models.

·
Super Moderator
2,147 Posts
Fished out my box of "mods and add ons" recently and found the glove box light. Someone mentioned you can use a 15A fuse which seems very excessive, wouldn't a 5A be enough? I was thinking of tapping the dome light (then no fuse will be needed so to speak) for power (non-switched to have constant power).

121 - 139 of 139 Posts