8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

101 - 120 of 139 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
I did this a few months ago awesome little add on.

I made the connector like SouthJersey06blacksi did, accept I made it like a built in harness. Crimped the 2 butt connectors to the wires, crimped Blade connectors on The other end of the wires, and heat shrink-ed both the wires together from connector to connector.
Then i filled the other end of the butt connecter with di-electric grease, wedged it in the light on the terminals, and filled the empty area around the butt connector in the light
with silicone. Allowed the silicone to dry over night before install.

Worked awesome and no chance of the connector coming undone at the light. Which i felt was possible considering it was just wedged in their, not really secured

·
Registered
420 Posts
Just some tips for anybody trying to do this.

I'd had problems getting my screws to seat fully when I first installed my light. I could get the screws started, but they would bind up after a few turns, long before the heads bottoming out. From this, I knew the screws had started at the wrong angle, and forcing them in would have surely split the posts they were going into. Between the length of my screwdriver, and not being able to see the screw heads well while turning the screws, so I'd just left things loose, pending a better idea.

The better idea was to get a sense for the angle the screws should be going in at. I found that a coffee stir-stick (the thin round kind, not the mashed figure-8 shape) is about the right diameter to go into the screw holes, and makes it very easy to see the correct angle for the screw. Put the stir stick in one hole, driving the screw in the other hole. If you keep the screwdriver parallel to the stir stick as you start off, the screw will go in straight. After that, you'll have a good enough sense for the angle to do the second screw.

The correct line basically points right at the top edge of the cabin filter door. The screwdriver I'd originally used was too long to reach this high. A different screwdriver I had, something around 12cm long, was just short enough to fit, and the screws went in straight without drama.

·
Registered
420 Posts
This looks like a cool upgrade. I am still not 100% sure where to splice in for power though?
I spliced mine in at the radio. The big 17-pin connector has black and gray wires at opposite corners. These are ground and lighting power respectively and go the same place that the OEM glove light is connected in the cars that have it.

I de-pinned these two wires from the connector and soldered to them at the crimps, then put the pins back into the connector.

101 - 120 of 139 Posts