8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
ive never noticed it before today, with 13000 on the clock. 08 civic coupe with automatic tranny. its an odd, almost turbocharger-like whine. it gets higher pitched with RPMS, but when i revved it in neutral, it wasnt there, so im assuming it has to do with the transmission. it isnt a very loud noise, but is definately noticable at parking lot speeds. even my girlfriend(who never notices anything lol) noticed it. anybody have any ideas?

Edit: also, one more random thing. one time, i was driving, approx 60MPH. i had hit the gas pretty hard to merge with traffic, probably 4500-5000RPM. well i let off the gas, then got back on it to maintain speed. the car jumped forward, so i let off, it did it twice more, and i looked at the tach, and the car was chillin at 4k RPM, and refused to drop for 20 sec or so. its like it just didnt feel like shifting....i know i was in drive, not D3, but it wouldnt shift. anybody had this?

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have a 07 Si (6speed transmission of course) and when I am in 4th gear, the transmission whines when in that gear only. It sounds like a supercharger whine. My brother aksed if this was supercharged and I told him no, thats the transmission. I think its normal?

·
Registered
100 Posts
does it sound like the reverse gear? maybe the dog teeth aren't going in properly
Sounds like the reverse gear exactly but not as loud.

hmmmm kinda sounds like an electromagnetic whine to me, comes from your alternator. transfered to ur speakers.
Um..... no. I bet if I removed the alternator belt, the issue would still be there. Make it even easier... I will disconnect all the speakers LOL. Its a transmission whine, nothing to do with electronic stuff

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i dont think its like the reverse gear, sounds more like air. i dunno, ill check in the morning and post when i get to work. i think i wouldve noticed it before if it was there all along, but i guess its possible i didnt.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
no, i dont think its an electromagnetic whine. wouldve done it in park too i would think. ill pull out my headunit and disconnect it tomorrow to make sure.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I get this noise too. It's usually when I'm slowing down before a light (no brakes, just let off gas) or going slow in a parking lot in 1st and letting off the gas. I've noticed it on the highway a couple times too but it could be just road noise.

08 Si Coupe with 8500miles

1 - 14 of 14 Posts