8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just started having a problem where when I shift into 6th gear (and couldn’t replicate but one other time in 4th I think) where I would shift and it would successfully go in but then I’d give it gas and it would rev up like in the previous gear or neutral maybe. Then I’ll let off the gas and it’ll shift up into the next gear without me touching anything.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Do you mean to say the car switches gears without you moving the gear shift? The issue of the car not "reving up" as you say sounds like clutch slippage. Howe many miles are on the vehicle?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you mean to say the car switches gears without you moving the gear shift? The issue of the car not "reving up" as you say sounds like clutch slippage. Howe many miles are on the vehicle?
Cars got about 180,000 on it and the problem is that I shift up into 6th let the clutch out, add gas, and the rpm’s jump up like I’m in the previous gear. Then without touching the shifter I let off the gas and it’ll shift.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Yeah. Your clutch is slipping meaning its is dying. You will find that it will start doing that in all the gears soon and then it just wont move after letting the clutch out. It will just rev with very little to no forward movement. I would not make any long trips as it could **** the bed at any time.

Sorry about the news. Good replacement clutch is Competition Clutches Stage 2 clutch. It is stiffer and has much better grab than stock.

Check it out at:

·
Registered
230 Posts
Good point Civic Fly. Make sure you get the OEM release bearing. There was an issue a while back with after-market bearings breaking where the fork lands. Thinner metal or some shite...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Causes of rough shifting include: Transmission Fluid Low or Poor Condition – Vehicles low on transmission fluid or that are operating with worn out or contaminated fluid are likely to experience hard shift conditions.
Automatic transmissions that shift hard, jerk or shake during a shift change may mean your transmission fluid needs changed or fluid level is low. In manual transmission vehicles, abnormal gear shifts could indicate damaged gear synchros, worn clutches or other, more severe issues.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts