8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I my AC is off, but the blower is on, cold air conditioned air blows when it is in the defroster mode. All the other modes, warm air from the outside blows in; which is what suppose to blow in when the AC is off.

Have anyone experienced this?

You think there is a possible electrical issue?

·
Registered
18,914 Posts
defroster uses the a/c.
no matter what heat setting the dial is on, if the defroster button is lit up, the a/c compressor is on.

·
garage queen
17,376 Posts
1. Turn car on.
2. Turn temperature knob all the way cold and turn the fan knob to off.
3. Put vent location to "face"
4. Turn car off
5. Hold down the Recirculation Button and the A/C Button.
6. Hold down both buttons and turn the key all the way to the on position.
7. Keep both buttons depressed until one of the lights blink a few times, then you get a solid green light once the change has been made. Then let go.
8. See if it works by putting the fan on in Defrost. You should see the A/C light turn on and you should be able to turn it off.

·
Registered
800 Posts
1. Turn car on.
2. Turn temperature knob all the way cold and turn the fan knob to off.
3. Put vent location to "face"
4. Turn car off
5. Hold down the Recirculation Button and the A/C Button.
6. Hold down both buttons and turn the key all the way to the on position.
7. Keep both buttons depressed until one of the lights blink a few times, then you get a solid green light once the change has been made. Then let go.
8. See if it works by putting the fan on in Defrost. You should see the A/C light turn on and you should be able to turn it off.
This worked on my 06 EX.

BUT on my 08 Si, it already came from the factory doing this. I can "turn off" the A/C and the light goes out, but the compressor still runs. It's like Honda found out what was going on and now they let us turn off the light to make us feel better, but keep the compressor running! :facepalm:

I'm going to try this on my 08 just to see what it does and if it changes?

·
garage queen
17,376 Posts
This worked on my 06 EX.

BUT on my 08 Si, it already came from the factory doing this. I can "turn off" the A/C and the light goes out, but the compressor still runs. It's like Honda found out what was going on and now they let us turn off the light to make us feel better, but keep the compressor running! :facepalm:

I'm going to try this on my 08 just to see what it does and if it changes?
Thats dumb lol. Does cold air still come through on yours?

·
Registered
800 Posts
Thats dumb lol. Does cold air still come through on yours?
Yep, just like the compressor is still running. You can hear the compressor kick on and off too.

When I get out of the office today I'm going to try this before I drive home and see if anything changes! Come on 4:00!

·
garage queen
17,376 Posts
yep, just like the compressor is still running. You can hear the compressor kick on and off too.

When i get out of the office today i'm going to try this before i drive home and see if anything changes! Come on 4:00!
gl!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So you are saying that even if the AC light is off, the AC is still running in defroster mode?

And if I manually push the AC button on and off, it still doesn't turn off the AC?

I have a 09 Civic LX auto

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
defroster uses the a/c.
no matter what heat setting the dial is on, if the defroster button is lit up, the a/c compressor is on.
So you are saying that even if the AC light is off, the AC is still running in defroster mode?

And if I manually push the AC button on and off, it still doesn't turn off the AC?

I have a 09 Civic LX auto

·
Registered
21,213 Posts
defroster uses the a/c.
:yeahthat: The defroster always uses the A/C, whether the little green A/C light is on or not. It uses the A/C evaporator to remove moisture from the air to help defog/defrost your windows. In all other modes the A/C will be off unless you press the A/C button (and the green A/C light comes on).

·
Registered
21,213 Posts
not all the time, im able to "defrost" the windows without ac on and just the fan running. ac off.

on my screen it says "ac off"
Just because the screen says A/C off doesn't mean it is. The A/C is always on in defrost mode.

·
Registered
800 Posts
OK, I did this yesterday to my 08 FA5. It works, I can now turn off the light AND the compressor also shuts off.

Like I said before, I used to be able to turn off the light but the compressor would still run. Since this would shut off, I assumed that Honda had fixed this since I couldn't do this on my 06. Well, they just made the light come on in the 08.

Now it works like I want it to!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts