8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've got the NST Pulley Set. Had em for about a year or so now. I'm going to switch back to the stock pullies, but I had a question. Can I just keep the alternator pulley from NST and ONLY change the other two pullies and have the car still work? And are there any problems with doing this?

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
^^boost reasons. If I get to it, I get to it. But if not, yes I want my alternator to be spinning faster than normal. The other pullies are drivetrain related, and the alternator is electric related. It's ok for it to spin just as fast as it's spinning now. And technically since the other two will be heavier (going from NST back to Stock) the NST Alt pulley will slow down it's rotation.

·
Banned
1,022 Posts
It is true that the ALT would be slightly overdriven (sped up) if you use the NST Alt pulley along with the OEM crank pulley, or our CR-Lite. The ALT will NOT be spinning too fast, and you will lot lower the life expectancy of the ALT.

You may want more output from your ALT at low rpm, such as idle. This is especially useful for people who have lots of lighting, HIDs, or monster stereos.

All the questions that you guys come up with, along with many more that you have never posted, are questions that we ask ourselves when doing R&D on our products.

Go with NST and go home happy!!!

:dancing:

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You may want more output from your ALT at low rpm, such as idle. This is especially useful for people who have lots of lighting, HIDs, or monster stereos.
case and point

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
And technically since the other two will be heavier (going from NST back to Stock) the NST Alt pulley will slow down it's rotation.
:bsflag:

Gotta call you on this one. Your statement makes absolutely no sense. The ONLY things that affect the speed the alternator will turn are the size of the crank pulley and the size of the alternator pulley.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
the size of the crank pulley is different from the Stock one to the NST one. Not the same size at all. Hence the reason the ETD won't fit without modification.

NST - NonStopTuning
You're right that the crank pulleys are different diameters, but you're thinking in the wrong direction. The NST crank pulley is smaller than stock, "pulling" less belt per revolution, which is why the alternator pulley is smaller than stock since to turn the same speed as stock, it must take less belt to turn one revolution.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts