8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

NST Pulley Pre/Post Dyno (Must see)

42K views 106 replies 52 participants last post by  JEA86 
#1 · (Edited)
As I promise on the NST Sticky.

Last night I went to one of my local dynos, but before to post anything I want to state something very important. I know that readings are low but this dyno is notorious of reading 10-15whp less than other dynos of the same type (Dynojet). That means that the car is on the 190+whp range.

Back to the topic, you already know that out there are many people that say that pulleys are worthless that they do nothing. Other affirm that works very well. For that reason I decide to make a pre/post dyno the same day to clear up this myth specially on the K20Z3.

Non Stop Tunning Civic Kit
Now to the graph.

My Mods prior the pulleys are: Injen Cai, DC Race Header and Hondata IMG. The catback section is stock.

Ok guys, dont get too excited about the 3K RPM range increase, I'm not really sure that I was at full throttle on the run without the pulley set. Some runs shows a similar curve other dont show it. I just select the last run without and with the pulleys. As you can see there are some gains (up to 4whp) on many sections of the graph.

I'm including an attachment with all the runs (baseline to present) that I did on that dyno.
You will need WinPep to be able to plot the graphs.

I gave you everything I have, now be the judges.

Hope this post is useful for some of you. :thumb:

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Very nice!!! to gain 5 WHP with all those mods already is pretty amazing!!! I wounder how much it would bump up a stock K20?!?! This will def be my next mod. I'll be ordering it pretty soon. Hopefully the gains on the R18 will be just as good if not better. I don't know what the weight reduction is on the Si but I know it's 4+ lbs on the R18!!!

UDP FTW!

#5 ·
yeah i need to get on ordering these also...so much want so little cash..hmm credit cards callin my name :)

#7 ·
Great job with the dynos, THANK YOU!! Everyone's been waiting for someone to take the plunge and dyno these NSTs. I would expect then that the gains should be relatively bigger on R18s without many other mods, is this correct thinking?

Wow, now I am getting more and more swayed to go for it... my only remaining question is a matter of reliability and problems over time, since they've only been out less than 1 yr for 8thgens. I have concerns about what might happen to the engine over time and such. But I might not be concerned enough NOT to try them!

#9 · (Edited)
^1

The ALT pulley is smaller too in such way that the rotation speed of the alternator stays the same than the factory lights. Dont worry about alt drain problems.

A/C works the same on idle as before, water temps stay on the same spot than with the stock pulley I didn't notice any difference on the accesories of the car.

We tried to follow this guide but the bolts of the alternator were very tricky to deal also the cranck pulley bolt was very hard, neither the impact pistol or the big hand ratchet were enough. We use the power of the car starter, the mechanic put a ratchet with a the corresponding socket on the crank bolt and by starting with a lot of care to not turn the engine on, we were able to unbolt the crank very fast. :thumb:
You dont learn that on school. :party: :laughing:

#19 ·
Ur and NST being almost the same depends ont hw weight and size of the pulleys. What were the weights on the NST crank and alternator pulleys? Stock SI cracnk is 4.5 lbs and the alternator is 9 oz's. UR's crank weighs a measely 11 oz's and the alternator is 4.5 oz's. That a big weight reduction. I have the UR's on my car and the gain with it is definately more then 4whp.

#20 ·
Dwn4nythng said:
Ur and NST being almost the same depends ont hw weight and size of the pulleys. What were the weights on the NST crank and alternator pulleys? Stock SI cracnk is 4.5 lbs and the alternator is 9 oz's. UR's crank weighs a measely 11 oz's and the alternator is 4.5 oz's. That a big weight reduction. I have the UR's on my car and the gain with it is definately more then 4whp.
Here is a link to NST's site that shows the weight difference from the stock R18 pulleys to the NST ones. Didn't see anything on the SI pulleys.

http://www.nonstoptuning.com/pKitHonCiv.htm

It says the R18 stock crank pulley is 74oz. and the NST crank is 24oz.

Stock Alternator Pulley: 8oz. NST: 3oz.

Stock Water Pump Pulley: 22oz. NST: 8oz.

#21 ·
Seems like there are a couple of significant differences other than weight between UR and NST, based on reading previous threads about it. I'm leaning towards NST.

Although perhaps it may come down to preference... hmmm, seems like I've been a part of a lot of threads recently that come down to preference... LX vs. EX, sedan vs. coupe, V1 vs. RX65, Duke vs. everyone else, lol.

#22 ·
YOGIx213 said:
Here is a link to NST's site that shows the weight difference from the stock R18 pulleys to the NST ones. Didn't see anything on the SI pulleys.

http://www.nonstoptuning.com/pKitHonCiv.htm

It says the R18 stock crank pulley is 74oz. and the NST crank is 24oz.

Stock Alternator Pulley: 8oz. NST: 3oz.

Stock Water Pump Pulley: 22oz. NST: 8oz.
They don't seem to have them in stock :( Says special order only.
How long does it take to order them? Since I wont be able to install them I wonder how much a shop will charge to install them.
Every little HP counts and this seems to be a good choice :thumb:

#23 ·
ABM JDM said:
Seems like there are a couple of significant differences other than weight between UR and NST, based on reading previous threads about it. I'm leaning towards NST.

Although perhaps it may come down to preference... hmmm, seems like I've been a part of a lot of threads recently that come down to preference... LX vs. EX, sedan vs. coupe, V1 vs. RX65, Duke vs. everyone else, lol.
I wonder what Omega would charge :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.