8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the NST pulley kit installed on my 08 lx, but i feel that there is a small rattling noise coming from that area. I think its the belt tensioner that is vibrating. The belt size ordered from their website was to small from what my mechanic said. I checked with Honda and they told me that they belt size for the 06 and 08 model were different. NST is selling the belt size for the 06 model. Honda could not tell me the difference in size but they knew that they were different sizes b/c they had different serial numbers. So he had to measure the size himself. Did not know what size he got me but does it have to be a smaller in order to remove the rattling? If so what size did you guys buy for the 08 model? NST would like to know as well.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Dont risk putting on a pulley set on your brand new car. Its a simple mod, but it could mess up alot of things if installed wrong, or if you use the wrong size belt.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well i like the mod. Its alot better than what it used to be. Ive had it since december, only time when rattling is when I accelerate a lil faster. Very minor. from what the mechanic told me he had to find a better belt size because the belt tensioner is vibrating more than usual. but they say it is the belt.

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
There are two belts for the R18. One belt was used in 2006 but it caused a diesel like noise. A TSB was released and they re-routed the belt using a different length belt. So you know... there are two ways of routing the belt

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Take it off, and put the stock ones on. Because you know that with pullies, you lose your entire drivetrain warrenty.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
They are supposed to be lighter so it doesnt take as much power from the engine to rotate them. Also, they can be larger for the alt, so it will provide less charging power, therfore using less power from the motor. Thats is why they are called underdrive.
but yah, they re useless on a car like the civic. Our car comes stock with pretty lightweight components already

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
wow. where is Mike from NST when you need him. this thread is full of fail.

"just bling"? are you serious?

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
the benefits may not be as noticeable on a R18 as they would be on a Si, but the difference in weight between stock and NST is tremendous.

From their site:

BENEFITS WEIGHT COMPARISONS HONDA K20
NST

Great weight reduction
- Average of 65% - 70% over OEM
Increased horsepower
- Average of 6 - 9 horsepower
Lower ET's & higher trap speeds
- Average of .20s & average of 2MPH

-Crank Pulley
66oz OEM
13oz NST

-Belt Idler Pulley
14oz OEM
07oz NST

-Alternator Pulley
10oz OEM
03oz NST

And for the R18:

BENEFITS WEIGHT COMPARISONS HONDA R18
NST

-Crank Pulley
74oz OEM
24oz NST

-Alternator Pulley
08oz OEM
03oz NST

-Water Pump Pulley
22oz OEM
08oz NST

·
Registered
72 Posts
absolutely nothing. Just bling
You Don't Know What You Are Talking about.......6 months with the NST set on my 08 EX-L and never had a problem, great mod for the money and it does not underdrive the alt. There is at least 2 ways to run the belt because I had trouble finding the right length myself but try to look on the Gates website or "Google" belts for other manufactures and they will have others lengths....I think I ended up a Dayco #5070835 ....7 rib 835mm long......Picked it up from Advanced Auto

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
yah u dont have a problem because u installed it properly. But you better make sure the crank pully is torqued down to spec, and use locktite, it that thing comes loose, then its bye bye engine.
ur warrenty is also up in smoke. they know when ur original crank pully is removed.

i had pullies on my old 5.0. it made a diffrerence,but brought alot of drivabilitiy problems. Like my battery never fully charged, and some people had overheating engines in the summer. also, it was a 10 year old car, so it was such a big deal. I ended up putting the stock ones back on anyways

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well i appreciate all the advice. I will definitely try to find that dayco belt. It would probably be a perfect fit. Wish me luck and thanks again.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts