8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I noticed a strange noise coming from my car and discovered it was my NST idler bearing. so i pulled it off inspected it and found it to be the cause of the noise. here are the follow steps to replace the bearing if you ever run into the same problem.

1. Remove the belt from the pulley. I found it easier to slack the belt and remove it from the alternator to get the slack required to remove the pulley.to do so place a wrench on the belt tensor and pull toward the front of the car, or clockwise. Doing so will slacken the belt enough to slide it around the alternator pulley.

2. Once you have done so remove the bolt holding the idler pulley on. The pulley slides right off once you have slack on the belt.

3. Next you need snap ring tool to remove the snap ring

4. Once the snap ring is off, you need this tool(not sure its proper name) to press the bearing out. i used a washer to make sure i didn't crush the side walls of the bearing, not so important removing the bearing as it is installing the new one.

5. Locating the exact bearing that came with the set was IMPOSSIBLE with all leads turning to dead ends(in my case you may have better luck) but i removed it and took it to car quest and the found a suitable alternative.(not sure how well the bearing will hold up but it comes with a 12 month warranty if anything should go wrong will update IF/when new bearing fails) original bearing part number is 6203ze c3 if i remember correctly.

6. Now with the new bearing in it almost the exact opposite procedure. press in new bearing BEING VERY CAREFUL NOT to damage the sidewalls of the bearing.

7. Once it is completely pressed in replace snap ring.

8. Install the pulley again. Torquing to spec (which i don't have handy)

9. Re-install belt.

10. Test drive.

Here is a picture of all the tools i needed to complete the job

Now I'm sure someone will say, I should have replaced it with the same exact bearing i removed, but i was in a bind to get my car back together and used a alternative bearing. Shame on me, but like i said it proved very difficult to find the same nachi bearing. This is my first DIY ever so if you notice any mistakes or any room for improvement please PM me and don't blast me for it. took about 15-20 minutes not including the :vtec: test drive :wink: now for a cold :beer:

Attachments

·
Registered
679 Posts
nice write up, any updates as i am hearing whining sounds from my pullies - is that what you had? only while accelerating?

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
Great job OP. Thanks a lot for the informative write up. My brother's car might have this problem. I didnt have time to check but I am sure its bearing. Now I know what to get. Thanks

·
Registered
969 Posts
If you want it done right, call up NST and get them to replace it. It's 50 dollars and has a year warranty on it. They will ship you a new one so you don't have downtime and you just ship the core back.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Is the nst idler pulley bigger than the stock? Coz my tensioner makes a vibrating sound due to i replaced my alternator and the alternator comes with a smaller pulley. So im thinkin that if the nst idler puller is bigger than the stock i would have a tigther belt and tensioner. Is the nst idler puller bigger than the stock?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey guys sorry for not getting back. I've moved and don't have internet at the new place yet.

Yes the whining sound is gone now.
yes i was getting whining noise when i was accelerating.
Glad to hear this was useful! its pretty easy and inexpensive
i had about 60K on the set before the bearing went out.
as to the size I'm not sure i can help you on that one bud sorry.

·
Registered
11,043 Posts
FYI i know this thread is old but, that tool that he doesn't know the name off, looks like a valve spring compressor.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I can't thank u enough for this thread!!! My bearing exploded Friday and remembered u posting this a couple years ago!!! Anyhow thx for the bearing number.....

·
Registered
97 Posts
The tensioner pulley also uses a 6203 variation. I bought two and changed them both. Just look around for 6203's that have seals on both sides to keep dust out.

Also that tool is called a three jaw puller. If you have access to a press that works the best

·
Registered
38 Posts
Did this for OEM pulleys, worked perfectly. Whining and whirring sound are gone, can drive with the windows down now, haha, Thanks!

There is a bolt behind the tensioner pulley, that is indented in there so you won't be able to see it, I put some electrical tape there so it wouldn't fall out and when I screwed the pulley back in, I used angled plier (probably can use angled tool) to hold it so it wouldn't fall out as I screwed it back in. And used a 19mm socket to punch the old ones out while it was held by two small wood blocks.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I'm going to try this as soon as my new bearing comes in the mail. I order the tools and parts from Amazon because there's no car parts store that carries good bearings in south Orange County... I really wanted to find that MOOG bearing, but it's impossible to find on their website. The numbers on the oz in the picture only work with Car Quest. Another car parts store that doesn't exsist in there area of SoCal that I currently live in.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Soooo, I got the new bearing inside my Idler pulley. ? Buuuuuut.... the race where the bearing sits inside of, is bad. ? On the bright side, the noise is gone, and I probably bought myself some time before I need to change out the pulley entirely. ? (Now for that, I have to decide if I want to keep the other two pulleys, or take it to a shop and change all of them back to the original parts.... ?)

·
Registered
357 Posts
Update, the noise came back just as I thought it would. The same evening actually. So I'm going to try to keep the other two pulleys and switch the ideler back to OEM. Actually, I will probable buy a new assembly just for soundness of mind so that the spindle is good too. The reason why I bought the NST set is because the OEM Idler went bad. I hate cars.

·
Registered
53 Posts
The tensioner pulley also uses a 6203 variation. I bought two and changed them both. Just look around for 6203's that have seals on both sides to keep dust out.

Also that tool is called a three jaw puller. If you have access to a press that works the best

Do you happen to know if the oem idler pulley uses the same 6203 Bearing also? Sorry to revive an old thread. I ordered these same size bearings for my s2000 idler and tensioner pulleys.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts