8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If anyone has read my recent threads u know I got screwed in my exhaust system that i ordered... so my question is, since I dont have a resonator, and I need/want one I need some suggestions on what is a good one. I have an 07 Si with a Greddy Ti-c exhaust... please help me I cant take this drone anymore

·
Registered
569 Posts
You are going through the same issues I had with my skunkII. I added a magnaflow magnapack (it's a glass pack not a resonator, a true resonator is hard to find). I would consider this a good one and added it to the mid section (skunk comes with one in the second section already). This made the exhaust much deeper nicer sounding, lessened the volume some and reduced the drone but the drone was still there and driving me nutts. I welded the stock muffler on the rear section as a temporary fix. Sound nice but doesn't flow as good as the original skunk. I just purchased the large oval magnaflow muffler from turbo maffia (they say it's the quetest one they have). The real problem with the drone is the small canister style muffler. The resonator will help but will not solve the problem. I'll let you know the results when I get the magnaflow welded in.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
A glasspack is just a dif kind of resonator pretty much. It uses different material to accomplish the same goal. Most people will stray away from them depending on their type (louvered or perforated) because they will evenatually "burn out" and probably have to be replaced. A resonator is essentially a muffler. More on these:

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/muffler4.htm
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/muffler5.htm

PS: I'm no expert, but this is the basic research I did in determining which I was going to get when I got mine. I went glasspack because it cost like $20. Pretty sure mine is perforated as well, so it should last a good while. I think you tend to stay away from louvered glasspacks due to failure, but i could be wrong. Hope this helps some.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Oscy76 said:
The drone will always be there on a Skunk2, no matter what u do really, yes a resonator does cut the sound, shouldnt really make it softer
k thanks i didnt really know what it was till now. sooo 2 reasonators will make it more quiet but still has the drone ehh? hmmm i say buy a new exhaust system if its to loud! i'm still waiting on how the turbo-mafia exhaust systems sound like

·
Registered
569 Posts
I changed the muffler to a Vibrant with and added a resonated tip. Super deep sounding, not too loud, flows pretty good but still drones. I'm of the oppinion now that it's the harmonics due to the length of the piping that cause the drone more than anything. I'm going to have to look at some other exhausts now and compair how they are routed under the car. Adding or removing a bit of pipe length can move the drone up or down in the rpm range. Anyone know anything about harmonics that can add some light to this?

·
Registered
569 Posts
I just purchased a few hose clamps today. I'm going to do a test and clamp some angle iron to a portion of the exhaust and see if that changes the harmonics of the exhaust any. Maybe it will reduce or move the drone to a different rpm range. It's worth a try, then all I would have to do is tack weld it on. This would be easier than changing around all the plumbing. I'm running out of options. I also think I would have like the sound of a different muffler better, flame if you want but I think my exhaust sounds too deep. It masks that raw sound and is replaced with a just a deep tone where you can't really hear any pulsing of the exhaust at all.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts