8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't think I've ever really really liked any car I've ever had. I think I'm allready bored with the SI as well. I've put a few small mods on it and I'm still not happy. It just doesn't seem worth the car payment and my payments arent even that much. I think i may look into something cheaper next year like a used Maxima, or maybe an older TL or CL. I miss the TQ of a V6. I would also like to get into something cheaper so i can afford to buy a house in the near future. Any thoughts ? should i just stick with the SI ?

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
I was pretty much in the same situation as you a month ago. I was starting to get bored with the car, plus it was never really something I totally enjoyed from the start, there where just too many things keeping me from loving it the way I should have (rev hang, shitty transmission, shitty interior quality and paint), because it really should have been an awesome car.

I'm also thinking of moving out pretty soon and having a 20k car loan isn't really the smartest idea so I went out and got a much cheaper car that I'm pretty happy with and my loan is pretty much cut in 1/2.

I'd still love to have the Si, but thinking back I really should have just bought an 06 Type-S when I had the chance.

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
I say get rid of it. If you are already wondering if you "like" it still you will be happier in the end if you get rid of it imo. Mods only buy you extra time, but in the end you will still be wanting or needing more.

·
Still dropping trout
16,213 Posts
Have you thought about just taking it back to stock and buying a project car that you would enjoy more?

I understand what you're saying about being unhappy with it and all, but instead of thinking of it as a "performance" car you could get a different car and just have a damn good daily driver. I know of a few cars out there that you can get relatively cheap and they can be extremely fun to drive after modded.

Just my .02

·
Administrator
71,986 Posts
if you are stepping down to a cheaper payment, throw having a car you like out the window. there isn't a whole lot out there better for the price. unless you are going to do a lot of mods.

can't beat a new car either i think.

·
Registered
10,259 Posts
if you are stepping down to a cheaper payment, throw having a car you like out the window. there isn't a whole lot out there better for the price. unless you are going to do a lot of mods.

can't beat a new car either i think.
This is true. The Si is one of the best cars you can buy for the money. I have an RSX-S and I love it but I want a BRAND NEW car once in my life so I'm selling it for a brand new Si.

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
dump it, get a used 3rd gen TL.

volvo, why would an rsx have been much different?
Mainly because it's got a throttle cable so there's no rev hang, cold bucking, delays, etc. The RSX-S is a VERY fun car to drive. My buddy had an 04 and that's the reason I bought the Si. I didn't notice all of the issues with the Si till after I bought it. The rev hang and everything related to the DBW on that car isn't pronounced during a test drive since you're still getting used to the car.

·
Registered
7,214 Posts
Have you thought about just taking it back to stock and buying a project car that you would enjoy more?

I understand what you're saying about being unhappy with it and all, but instead of thinking of it as a "performance" car you could get a different car and just have a damn good daily driver. I know of a few cars out there that you can get relatively cheap and they can be extremely fun to drive after modded.

Just my .02
What kind of cars do you have in mind?

·
Still dropping trout
16,213 Posts
What kind of cars do you have in mind?
One off of the top of my head would be an 82-83 Datsun 280zx turbo. A fun little 2 seater car that can be made quick fairly easily and has the same appeal (as far as driving) as the s2000.

Or a fox body 5.0. Those can be found decently cheap in okay condition and can be powerhouses without spending insane amounts of money.

·
Administrator
71,986 Posts
there are lots of fun and inexpensive cars that you could get to do whatever number of things you want it to. these cars are perfect for projects and have their own crazy potential....just to name a few.....integra or civics with any swap, 240, VR-4, older supras or any one you can get, datsun 510, mr2, foxbody mustangs, you can supercharge the 96-03ish accord/cl/tl v6 for fairly cheap. those are just the ones on the top of my head...my personal favorites.

i mostly plan on messing around with hondas. having a fun older project one, and maybe a more current car to "keep stock". which reminds me of something i thought of earlier.

i think this si is more for "die-hard" honda people. let me explain.

for the most part these cars are getting more mainstream popular than the si and the honda scene a few years ago. the si meant something here in a way like the ctr or itr does elsewhere. only now a lot of people have them, or at least are buying them. have you seen how many people are selling these cars too?

what i meant that this car is for "die-hard" honda people is that honda heads are usually going to be the ones to admire this car and see it for its potential or at least how far they have come. people who go into this car thinking it is super fast or super top quality build are the ones who are unhappy and selling them.

the ones who have had hondas before, or appreciate the things they now offer will be the ones to hold onto them and continue things like 8thcivic and clubsi, the enthusiast clubs.

i bought my car (and sold my 2004 v6 accord coupe) to get the higher revving "4 banger" k series, 6 speed, LSD, navi, 4 doors, WHITE WITH BLACK INTERIOR something i always wanted (like the 97-01 preludes, looked sick), the seats, the potential.....

if you like hondas, i generally think you will like this car, and if you are wanting v6 power, get a v6.

I am very happy with my FA5, despite its little quirks, i got over having quirks in a new car with my accord.

sorry, i'm done.

·
Registered
10,259 Posts
Mainly because it's got a throttle cable so there's no rev hang, cold bucking, delays, etc. The RSX-S is a VERY fun car to drive. My buddy had an 04 and that's the reason I bought the Si. I didn't notice all of the issues with the Si till after I bought it. The rev hang and everything related to the DBW on that car isn't pronounced during a test drive since you're still getting used to the car.
As an RSX-S owner for over a year I must chime in here... True, there is no rev hang. Honestly, I didn't notice this on the Si the two times I test drove it. I'll be back in Jan. to test drive one again and I will be looking for all of the issues people are talking about.

I must totally disagree with the "cold bucking". This is an issue with the RSX-S even though it is not DBW. I've had 4 hondas and all of them have acted different until warmed up. The RSX-S is no exception. It will buck and jerk until fully warmed up unless you pay very close attention to the clutch pedal.

Not sure what delays you are talking about but the only time I notice my RSX delaying is when there is weight in the car (passenger) and I try to accelerate fast... but that's just lack of TQ.

Anyway, I believe the RSX-S is a very fun car to drive but I don't see it being any more fun than the Si. The Si w/its limited slip and other fun-factors would probably make it more fun to drive than the type S. I am curious as to what else is wrong with the Si and if the DBW is really that aweful... I'm not being a dickhead, I'm honestly curious. I'll be paying much closer attention when the dealership gets a couple new Si's in a few weeks.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I dont really want a project car right now, i cant afford to dump(waste) a bunch of money on a car right now. I want something that i can buy nice stereo for and be done with it until i make enough money to be wasting it on cars.

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
I don't think I've ever really really liked any car I've ever had....
What makes you think that getting into a different car is going to be any different? :SHOCKED:

You sound like you just need a point A to point B car. If being an auto enthusiast isn't your thing, then just get something cheap and dependable.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts